Proper Name: Edinson Volquez
    Born: July 3, 1983 in La Segunua, D.R.
    Ht.: 6-0 Wt.: 200
    Bats: R Throws: R
    Dominican Republic, 2001 • Signed by: Rodolfo Rosario

Back To Basics
    By Evan Grant
    April 6, 2007

SURPRISE, Ariz.--The Rangers have reached this difficult juncture with righthander Edinson Volquez. In order to get him going forward again, the team is faced with having to send him backward. A long way backward.

General manager Jon Daniels said the club told Volquez--who came to spring as a contender for a rotation spot--that he will begin the season at high Class A Bakersfield.

The idea is for Volquez, 23, to stop pressing to win a spot in the major league rotation and fix command issues that became a major problem for him last year. In a season split between Triple-A Oklahoma and the majors, Volquez walked 89 batters in 154 innings. Volquez was 1-6, 7.29 in the majors last season, and has been even worse for his career: 1-10, 9.20.

Among pitchers with at least 10 major league starts, Volquez' ERA ranks second-worst of all time. The Rangers will now send him back to where he first had success and take the developmental process a little more slowly this time.

His rocket-fast trip to the majors began in the California League 2004. In 19 California League starts in 2004 and 2005, Volquez went 9-5, 2.88, compiling 111 strikeouts and just 26 walks in 106 innings.

"We're putting him in the best position to succeed," Daniels said. "He's still got youth on his side. He's a good kid and a good talent and we're going to take him back to where he dominated the league. He's been more than receptive about this; he's enthusiastic about it. He wants to do what he needs to do to get back to the majors."
    BA chat December 11, 2006
    Q: Josh from Ft. Worth asks:
    How close are Hurley and Danks to eachother, and how much seperation do they have from Volquez? "
    1. Aaron Fitt: Hurley and Danks are very, very close. I flip-flopped on them ad nauseum, in fact, before finally settling on Danks because he's a polished lefthander with three quality pitches who held his own as one of the youngest players in the PCL. For me, Danks' ability to make adjustments at every level is what really sets him apart from most prospects. I love Hurley's power stuff, and I still think he might have a higher ceiling than Danks, but Danks is a pretty safe bet, in my mind.
    Aaron Fitt: Those two guys were head and shoulders above Volquez, for me. Serious questions have emerged about Volquez' ability to command his fastball and make adjustments. His stuff is still electric, but I he doesn't have the feel for pitching that Danks and Hurley have, and that is an awfully important distinction.
    2007 Baseball America rated #3 Prospect for the Rangers (was rated #1 in 2006)
    Background: Volquez ranked as the Rangers' top prospect a year ago on the strength of a fastball and changeup that each rated as the best in the system. But questions emerged about his ability to make adjustments after his disastrous big league stint in 2006. His career 9.20 ERA is the highest in baseball's modern era for a pitcher with at least 10 career starts.

Strengths: Volquez still has the electric stuff that fueled sky-high expectations a year ago, with a plus fastball that sits in the mid-90s and an above-average changeup in the mid-70s. He always has been lauded for his makeup and work ethic, and he showed he can be effective at higher levels by holding his own in the hitter-friendly Triple-A Pacific Coast League prior to his big league callup.

Weaknesses: His curveball is erratic at best, as Volquez struggles to stay on top of it and can't throw it for strikes. He needs to do a better job of getting ahead in the count and commanding his fastball. The Rangers want him to stay on the rubber longer to give his arm a chance to catch up, allowing him to get more downhill plane on his pitches.

The Future: If he can refine his curve and command, Volquez can earn a rotation spot in the spring and eventually emerge as a frontline starter. If he can't, he soon could find himself in the bullpen.
    2007 Season Stats
    Code:
    Team	League	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVG
    BAK	CAL	0	4	7.13	7	7	0	0	0	35.1	27	28	28	4	20	38	0.97	.211
    FRI	TEX	8	1	3.55	11	11	0	0	0	58.1	46	23	23	9	19	62	1.11	.212
    OKL	PCL	6	1	1.41	8	8	0	0	0	51.0	25	8	8	0	21	66	0.98	.146
    Minors		14	6	3.67	26	26	0	0	0	144.2	98	59	59	13	60	166	1.03	.190
    MLB		2	1	4.50	6	6	0	0	0	34.0	34	18	17	4	15	29	0.83	.262
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 12-21-2007 at 07:08 PM.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Edinson Volquez Stats and notes

Just some combined rate stats for all 178.2 innings last season ...

9.82 K/9
    3.78 BB/9
    0.86 HR/9
    2.60 K/BB

Volquez's 2006 BB/9 (majors plus minors) was 5.19, which means his 3.78 BB/9 last season represents a massive improvement. Hopefully Volquez can continue to refine his command, because if he can do that then he has a good chance to be absolutely nasty. He's already got the two key ingredients that the Reds need to be looking at in a starter, which is missing bats and keeping the ball in the yard.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

His combined AA and AAA stats are very impressive. IIRC the Texas League (AA) and PCL (AAA) are hitter friendly leagues and yet he still managed to dominate. Check out his combined AA and AAA stats: 116.1 innings, 71 hits, 9 homers (all in AA), 40 walks, 128 strikeouts, 2.40 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 9.9 K/9

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but doesn't this kid sound like Homer Bailey v. 2.0? Electric fastball, erratic command and difficulty throwing a breaking ball for strikes...?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    His combined AA and AAA stats are very impressive. IIRC the Texas League (AA) and PCL (AAA) are hitter friendly leagues and yet he still managed to dominate. Check out his combined AA and AAA stats: 116.1 innings, 71 hits, 9 homers (all in AA), 40 walks, 128 strikeouts, 2.40 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 9.9 K/9
    Yep, you're definitely right about the league differences. Check this out ...

AAA

International League
    4.36 league runs per game
    .262/.332/.395/.727 batting line
    3.98 league ERA

Pacific Coast League
    5.13 league runs per game
    .279/.346/.437/.783 batting line
    4.68 league ERA

AA

Southern League
    4.57 runs per game
    .259/.334/.392/.726 batting line
    4.08 league ERA

Texas League
    4.63 runs per game
    .264/.338/.407/.745 batting line
    4.31 league ERA

FWIW, Lousville's park factor in the IL grades out to 1.03 over the last three seasons while Oklahoma's park factor in the PCL is 0.95. Chattanooga's park factor in the Southern League is 1.07 whereas Frisco's is 1.03 in the Texas League. Volquez did pitch in a pitcher's park in the PCL, but the league overall is much more hitter friendly than the IL.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 12-21-2007 at 07:38 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but doesn't this kid sound like Homer Bailey v. 2.0? Electric fastball, erratic command and difficulty throwing a breaking ball for strikes...?
    Sort of. But Volquez's changeup is a better pitch than Bailey's curve. It's nasty. And I think his velocity may be a hair better, too, at this point.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I turned 17 the day he was born. I'm gettin' old.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Sort of. But Volquez's changeup is a better pitch than Bailey's curve. It's nasty. And I think his velocity may be a hair better, too, at this point.
    I am not quite sure his change up is better than Bailey curveball, but its a good pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not quite sure his change up is better than Bailey curveball, but its a good pitch.
    It depends how well he locates it.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It depends how well he locates it.
    Bailey did a fine job locating his curveball at the end of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bailey did a fine job locating his curveball at the end of last year.
    And then there was the beginning of last year.

He needs to do it more consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And then there was the beginning of last year.

He needs to do it more consistently.
    Its all a learning process, specifically in a 21 year old. I am more worried about what young players have done for me lately. They are still learning the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's the heater that Volquez has had trouble locating. His breaking ball just isn't very good yet.

Also given the ages, Volquez is kind of like Edwin Jackson with a curveball instead of a slider.V olquez is what we hope Homer won't be at 24 (heigh ceiling looking less likely to be reached and still struggling with command).
    Last edited by jojo; 12-22-2007 at 11:46 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Today Baseball Prospectus released their top 11 prospects for the Rangers. At the bottom, they list their top 10 or 11 young players in the Rangers whole system, and said this about Edinson:

Forty-eight hours ago, Edinson Volquez would have qualified for this list, and also would have ranked second. While the Rangers were desperate for outfield help, they also have been desperate for pitching (and for a much longer time), and the decision to deal Volquez, who really looked like he had turned a corner during the second half of the season, is a curious one–-as is the decision to trade for Josh Hamilton, who can't hit lefties. In addition, Hamilton, whether we want to talk about it or not, has an extreme problem with addiction, and one year does not necessarily heal anything. To go into a rant about how Hamilton is inexplicably treated like a hero in some circles, including receiving a key to the city of Raleigh this month, and how this is a representation of everything wrong with this country's value system, would likely require another 1,000 words and only tick off my editors and some of my readers–-we'll see if this sentence floats through as is and serves its purpose.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Today Baseball Prospectus released their top 11 prospects for the Rangers. At the bottom, they list their top 10 or 11 young players in the Rangers whole system, and said this about Edinson:

The BP quote is not true. It wasn't one year of being clean...It has been 3 years. I have no problem with treating Hamilton like a hero because he came back from the pits of hell to turn his life around. 99% of drug addicts don't do what he did. We should celebrate the people that accomplish anything like what Hamilton has done. Now mess up again and while you don't throw him to the dogs you can't give him a quick chance back to the majors...and you do virtually no celebrating the next time because unfortunately he would have done the expected.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?