Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meet your 2008 Reds

Meet your 2008 Reds

I think Wayne hinted he's done. If so, here's how we look next April.

Bruce
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Votto
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Bench: .
    Freel
    Hopper
    Hatteberg
    Keppinger
    Valentin

Rotation
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Volquez
    Belisle

Pen
    Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Bray
    Coffey
    Stanton
    Majewski/McBeth/Coutlangus/Cueto???

Sure does look like we're missing a right handed bat with some pop on the bench. Someone to pinch hit for Votto or Bruce against loogy relievers late in the game. Maybe one more deal for that or a middle reliever?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Meet your 2008 Reds

I still think Cueto makes this roster out of spring training in some fashion

Belisle will be the #3 and either Bailey or Volquez will be the #5 so they can be skipped in April with all the offdays...

I say add Hendrickson and Mench and get rid of Freel. Then we are set!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Belisle will be the #3 and either Bailey or Volquez will be the #5 so they can be skipped in April with all the offdays...

I say add Hendrickson and Mench and get rid of Freel. Then we are set!
    Kevin Mench makes so much sense it'll never happen.

Valenzuela--our rule 5 guy? Any chance at all?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Valenzuela--our rule 5 guy? Any chance at all?
    I don't think so...

I'd like to see Belisle replaced by Cueto or Maloney. I also question how that offense will stand up to the Cubs' and Brewers'.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Dare I say it?

Are we actually...good again?

Harang
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Belisle
    Bailey
    Cueto

And plus, with Hamilton being dealt, there's no reason Jay Bruce shouldn't be the starting CF on opening day. We actually have potential to be good...for a long time. I haven't been this excited about Reds baseball in I don't know how long!!!

Re: Dare I say it?

Yeah, hopefully we won't have to trade for a SP for a LONG LONG time. There may be a problem in CF, at SS, and C over the next couple years, though.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

It'll be nice to be analyzing offensive FA's instead of pitchers though-cheaper too...

I'd have to see it to believe it. Take a deep breath and let me just remind you that this is a team that won 72 games this past season. Barring any other changes to the team, they will have 6 of the 8 same players in the starting lineup, mainly the same bullpen, and still a number of question marks in the rotation. It is exciting to start to see some of the fruits of the minor leagues coming to the big show but I would expect a few growing pains from the kids. Although I'm thrilled withthe direction of the club, let's try to keep things in perspective and not have unrealistic expectations...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'd have to see it to believe it. Take a deep breath and let me just remind you that this is a team that won 72 games this past season. Barring any other changes to the team, they will have 6 of the 8 same players in the starting lineup, mainly the same bullpen, and still a number of question marks in the rotation. It is exciting to start to see some of the fruits of the minor leagues coming to the big show but I would expect a few growing pains from the kids. Although I'm thrilled withthe direction of the club, let's try to keep things in perspective and not have unrealistic expectations...
    Prolly not unrealistic to expect something like 82 wins, which in the NL Central is prolly competing. Our Pythag W-L was 75-87, so with some luck in the opposite direction we could win 78 games with the same cast. Arn't Cordero and the young guys worth about 4 wins?

I still think the Reds will make a big push for Bedard.The Volquez trade opens that up even more.I can see a Cueto,Votto,and a minor leaguer to the O's for Bedard.I think the Volquez trade takes Cuetos place and Hatteberg can fill in for Votto.Then we sign Dunn long term to be our 1st baseman.Then in 09 that leaves a OF of Bruce,Stubbs and maybe a FA signing or a young guy.I could even see Cincy signing JR back on the cheap to be in RF for another year or 2.But I think the Volquez trade opens up room for a Bedard trade even more.

Harang
    Bedard
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Volquez
    Now thats a solid rotation 1 thru 5 without a doubt.

Then put Belisle in the BP and it helps the rotation and BP out greatly.

If we get Bedard anything short of a deep push in the playoffs in the next 2 seasons is a complete failure. I'd rather build with what I have that give 4-5 prospects for 2 years of a pitcher.

Moves I'd like to see now:

Trading for Michael Barrett (I'm really not satisfied with our catching situation right now, and our lineup needs another RH bat. I think he rebounds under Dusty, who saw him put together 3 good years with the Cubs.)

Signing Mike Cameron for 2 yrs (He OPSed over .900 against lefties last season. That would be nice coming off the bench. He's also good insurance if Griffey goes down again. He could be the starting CF on opening day if Bruce should struggle through Spring Training and need to get right in AAA before making the jump to the big leagues.) EDIT: nevermind that last point, he'll be suspended for a little while at the start of the season.
    Last edited by Blue; 12-22-2007 at 02:20 AM.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Turn Off Ads?