Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Baker Impede Progress?

Re: Will Baker Impede Progress?

Junior will not sit, he's already stated that all the new manager has to do is put his name in the lineup everyday. With him saying that, you send Bruce to AAA until he Jr gets his usual injury. I dont see why everyone gets so up tight with Hopper playing CF to start the year off. If Hopper doesnt do the job you dont owe him anything so he goes back to the bench. Bruce has to play everyday somewhere AAA or the majors and I dont want him handed the CF job, he needs to win the job in spring training. I dont care at all, I mean at all about Hoppers OPS or OBP or whatever you call his stats that he's not doing so well in.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Ya, lets not care about OB% for leadoff hitters, it's meaningless.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

No it aint the end all for a leadoff hitter, so there. Hopper had a OBP last year similar to Pete Rose's career numbers. Is he Pete or Ichiro no, but he's doable until Bruce is given the job. I still dont see why youre so uptight about Hopper.

OBP isn't important for a leadoff hitter?

Wow.

I'll gladly take a .371 OBP from my leadoff hitter, which is what Norris Hopper turned in last year. I understand that he rarely walks, so his OBP is going to be mostly batting average driven, but I'd be thrilled if he could repeat those numbers there year to go with serviceable defense. I know I'm in the minority, but I won't be that upset if we start the season with Freel/Hopper in CF while Bruce gets another month or so at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Wow.
    Nope. Tony Womack said it isn't. You wouldn't question the wisdom of Tony Womack...would you?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    No it aint the end all for a leadoff hitter, so there.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Nope. Tony Womack said it isn't. You wouldn't question the wisdom of Tony Womack...would you?
    I have just negative repped you in my head for bringing the name of Tony Womack up.

I have just negative repped you in my head for bringing the name of you know who up.
    and I just negatived repped you in my head for making me read it twice.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Will Baker Impede Progress?
    Will the earth revolve around the sun?

Wow.
    all Im saying is Im tired of people ripping on Hopper, he's an OK lead off hitter all these number games drives me nuts. Of course you want a guy to get on base but does one number make a player no, I dont care about one number I care about doing the job and winning. If you guys feel better crunching numbers go right ahead I usually skip past that stuff when I read your posts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    What's Tony doing these days anyway?
    Go Gators!

He's playing a lot of golf, directly across the road from where I live. See him every now and then with his little boy.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    all Im saying is Im tired of people ripping on Hopper, he's an OK lead off hitter all these number games drives me nuts. Of course you want a guy to get on base but does one number make a player no, I dont care about one number I care about doing the job and winning. If you guys feel better crunching numbers go right ahead I usually skip past that stuff when I read your posts anyway.
    So he's an "okay leadoff hitter" in your book just because you've decided that's the case? Doesn't seem like a good way to run a franchise to me. If a guy were consistently stealing from the register at your store, would you decide he was an "okay cashier" just because you've decided to ignore the evidence?

This is not complex number crunching we're doing here. Hopper's .371 OBP means he got on base about 37% of the time in 2007. Unfortunately, that is based on the fact that he got extremely lucky for a few months. His career minor league norms do nothing to suggest this is something he can maintain. To make matters worse, the lack of walks in his past says he's going to stop getting on base regularly as soon as the hits start falling (his luck runs out). Hopper is a decent fourth outfielder, I'll give you that. But IMO he has no place as a regular OF in the major leagues.
    Last edited by RedEye; 12-22-2007 at 06:22 PM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'll gladly take a .371 OBP from my leadoff hitter, which is what Norris Hopper turned in last year. I understand that he rarely walks, so his OBP is going to be mostly batting average driven, but I'd be thrilled if he could repeat those numbers there year to go with serviceable defense. I know I'm in the minority, but I won't be that upset if we start the season with Freel/Hopper in CF while Bruce gets another month or so at AAA.
    It'll be interesting to see how Hopper is defensed this season now that everyone has a lot of film on his game. He picked up a lot of infield hits on drag bunts and speed -- I actually think he was one of the league leaders in that category.

For a guy that depends so much on AVG-driven OBP for value, losing those base hits due to better pitching strategy and defensive alignment could wreck his game.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?