Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there be still more trades?

Will there be still more trades?

There are a lot of possibilities --

The Reds are done and the new pitcher Volquez is the off-season addition as a starter

The Reds acquired Volquez because the Orioles and A's didn't want Hamilton and now either Volquez himself or Bailey can be packaged for Bedard or Blanton

The Reds will now sign a free agent veteran like Lieber or Livan Hernandez or someone like that

The Reds will live with Hopper, Dickerson, Freel or even possibly Bruce in center to replace Hamilton

The Reds will acquire Cameron to play center with Bruce replacing Griffey in right field soon

The Reds won't acquire a centerfielder to replace Hammy but plan to add another power bat from the right side, perhaps at third base to replace EE

The Reds will add more relief pitching, perhaps a good lefty to help out in the late innings

Which do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Will there be still more trades?

I could see the Reds packaging a few guys for Blanton, but only if Beane backs down from Bailey/Cueto.

Volquez, Maloney, Stubbs? Am I homer to think that's enough?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think the Reds will be looking at a veteran pitcher like Jon Lieber or Livan Hernandez to eat a few innings.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I could see the Reds packaging a few guys for Blanton, but only if Beane backs down from Bailey/Cueto.

There is no chance the Reds are even considering trading Volquez. He was picked up to make the rotation this season. This trade wasn't about trading chips, otherwise it would have been a 3team trade if Hamilton wasn't good for Beane.

This likely was THE trade for pitching. It's clear the Reds don't want to part with the prospects. This trade was about picking up Volquez at the point when he is likely ready for show time.

I wouldn't trade those three guys for Blanton if they payed his salary.... ok, maybe then.

Maloney and Stubbs for Blanton? Deal. Not much more than that though.

I cant see the Reds trading any pitchers at all unless theyre not in their top ten.

I think that's it for this offseason. I don't particularly want to sign Cameron at this point, unless they can move Freel and maybe Travis Wood for Capuano. But I definitely wouldn't sign Cameron for more than two years, at which point Stubbs will hopefully be ready. Short of doing that, I'd rather see the Reds focus their efforts on re-signing Adam Dunn, as that has now become a critical part to the Hamilton deal.

I'd be very neutral on a trade for Bedard at this point, whereas before I was really hoping for one. If they don't get Bedard or Capuano, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a flier on Prior, Leiber or Benson. Hopefully they don't sign Hernandez. I think if any pitcher gets moved in a deal now, it's probably Travis Wood (as he's the only top guy Krivsky didn't name specifically.) And I'm fine with that, particularly if it brings in a guy like Capuano.
    Go BLUE!!!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Stubbs is the only one of the three you mentioned that I'd trade for Blanton.

Call me crazy, but I see Blanton as putting up Belisle like numbers if we had him. I wouldn't give up Volquez or Maloney for Belisle, therefore I wouldn't give either of them up for Blanton.

Blanton would make our BOR better, that's it. Given the addition of Volquez, I wouldn't mind letting Volquez, Bailey, Cueto and Maloney battle it out for the #4 and #5 spots in the rotation, since there is reduced pressure in those spots for results.

My speculation is the following --

Reds will add a righty bat. My guess is they will look at Morgan Ensberg as a righty platoon at first base

Reds will look at Cameron and Lofton for centerfield, unless they have decided to give Dickerson a job. I think they will have a centerfielder with a defensive rep next year (implying Cameron or Dickerson). I think Bruce will be at AAA.

Just a feeling Reds will sign somebody like Colon. Guessing it won't be Lieber or Livan. Or it could be even a lower level free agent, but another veteran starter in case the kids don't pan out.

I also think Reds will do something else in the bullpen. I continue to think that they lack a reliable proven lefty out there. Bray will make the team, but he would have to improve his results to be a good late inning alternative. Right now I see him as a middle innings guy. Coutlangus, Stanton, Pelland all bring question marks at this point and Guardado seems gone.

Now that they've acquired some starting pitching depth I think the logjam is broken and the Reds will be active, but I don't see any more big trades, just some non-premium free agents and possibly a minor trade.

This could work out nicely.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-22-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Considering Jay Bruce outhit Chris Dickerson at AAA , how is Bruce not ready but Dickerson is???? Also at Louisville while there Bruce played center far more than Dickerson and has a better arm , so where is this idea Dickerson is a great defensive center fielder??

Colon, Ensberg and Prior. I like the sound of those. Hopefully, WK doesn't like the sound of Tomko.
    Hope Springs Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    There is no chance the Reds are even considering trading Volquez. He was picked up to make the rotation this season. This trade wasn't about trading chips, otherwise it would have been a 3team trade if Hamilton wasn't good for Beane.

This likely was THE trade for pitching. It's clear the Reds don't want to part with the prospects. This trade was about picking up Volquez at the point when he is likely ready for show time.

So Volquez is supposed to equal Bedard?

Man, sameo-sameo. If this is it (I don't think it is) then you can kiss 2008 goodbye. If 2008 is the 2007 rotation with a march-hare added to it, then WK is no better than his predecessors.

I have no inkling what is next or why this trade was made, but the Reds still need what they needed last week, a proven stud-like #2 starter.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    Colon, Ensberg and Prior. I like the sound of those. Hopefully, WK doesn't like the sound of Tomko.
    Ensberg to me is a no-brainer. Great depth for the bench and if someone comes along with a great offer for Votto or EdE (and let me stress that it must be GREAT) you have a capable replacement. I'd pick one between Colon and Prior, probably Colon simply because there is less risk.

I still say they need to inquire as to the asking price on Rich Harden. Pick him up cheap, stash him away and let him work out his injury issues or rehab or whatever. When healthy he's top shelf and I'd be willing to spend a little to see if last year was just a bump in the road for him. Low risk/high reward if there ever was one.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

I suspect the Reds have got a few more moves in them. An innings eater starter (Lieber's a likely candidate because you can probably get him on a one-year contract) and possibly a CF could find their way into the mix. Krivsky can always be counted on to collect more relievers too.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post

So Volquez is supposed to equal Bedard?

Man, sameo-sameo. If this is it (I don't think it is) then you can kiss 2008 goodbye. If 2008 is the 2007 rotation with a march-hare added to it, then WK is no better than his predecessors.

I have no inkling what is next or why this trade was made, but the Reds still need what they needed last week, a proven stud-like #2 starter.

I think as far as big trades for pitchers go, this is likely it. I could see them interested in picking up a veteran such as Lieber to fill a back end spot to add some durability, but I don't see a Bedard trade going down, especially for Volquez.

This isn't 'sameo-sameo". Back with O'Brien there was no effort to acquire talented pitching. From all accounts, it appears the O's are holding pretty high demands. In the Reds case, it likely came down to Bruce. There's a reaosn why you see every interested team fall out and pick up their fallback options.

The Reds would be better off for 2008 with Bedard, but I think getting a guy like Volquez nstead, while also keeping the top prospects, the future outlook of the team is MUCH better. Bedard guarantees the Reds nothing. The Reds still wouldn't be the favorites in the central IMO. They would just be another team looking to contend. This move certainly opens a window far beyond the 2 years that Bedard offers.

Turn Off Ads?