Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that The Lizard is gone

Now that The Lizard is gone

Elizardo Ramirez has signed with Texas and that means EVERY player Dan O'Brien traded for in 2+ years as Reds GM is now gone from the organization. Here's a refresher list on his trade acquisitions:

Bubba Nelson
    Jung Bong
    Gabe White
    Josh Hancock
    Andy Machado
    Javon Moran
    Joe Wilson
    Elizardo Ramirez
    Ramon Ortiz
    Allan Simpson
    Justin Germano
    Travis Chick
    Dave Williams
    Tony Womack

Less than two years after his dismissal, they're all gone. To call that a pathetic group of players would be overly kind. It's a record of non-achievement the likes of which we'll hopefully never see again.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Now that The Lizard is gone

To be honest, Elizardo Ramirez was pretty valuable for us in 2006 until the last three games he was in. the rest of the group.... I guess Tony Womack sucking so much helped Brandon Phillips get playing time. I am reaching now.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be honest, Elizardo Ramirez was pretty valuable for us in 2006 until the last three games he was in.
    To be honest, a lot of people around here called his eventual wreck. You throw a fastball that straight and you're begging for trouble (just ask Luke Hudson).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    To be honest, a lot of people around here called his eventual wreck. You throw a fastball that straight and you're begging for trouble (just ask Luke Hudson).
    Which is fine, but he gave the Reds 100 above average innings that year before his implosion over 2 innings that skyrocketed his seasonal line. He had given the Reds 100 innings of 4.47 ERA baseball prior to that. Quite valuable.

Which is fine, but he gave the Reds 100 above average innings that year before his implosion over 2 innings that skyrocketed his seasonal line. He had given the Reds 100 innings of 4.47 ERA baseball prior to that. Quite valuable.
    I saw a kid throwing garbage at wolves that were inevitably going to eat him. Not valuable, fluky. He goes down in the team annals ranking below Lance Davis.

Though hands down Ramirez was the best guy DanO got in trade. That's a terrifying thought.
    Last edited by M2; 12-22-2007 at 05:30 PM.

that's an interesting observation-- the Maddux/Kullman acquisitions remain around-- Harang, Belisle, and even Pelland is beginning to look interesting

I saw a kid throwing garbage at wolves that were inevitably going to eat him. Not valuable, fluky. He goes down in the team annals ranking below Lance Davis.
    Fluky or not, he was pretty valuable to the Reds in 2006.

Fluky or not, he was pretty valuable to the Reds in 2006.
    Mirages aren't valuable, especially on teams that go nowhere. He filled space, poorly. It amounted to nothing, impressed no one (Ramirez never had trade value) and led to nothing useful in the future. The Reds got nothing out of the Elizardo Ramirez experience. Any schlub could have pitched those innings and the world would remain unchanged.
    Last edited by M2; 12-22-2007 at 05:37 PM.

I never was impressed with Ramirez. I wish him luck with Texas but losing him doesn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    that's an interesting observation-- the Maddux/Kullman acquisitions remain around-- Harang, Belisle, and even Pelland is beginning to look interesting
    Pelland mostly interests me as trade bait, but, yeah, it's shocking how little DanO added. His lieutenants found a few kids. Yet in the deals where a GM's eye for talent is put to the test, DanO proved himself blind.

Jay Bruce will be the best and maybe only good part of Dan O's legacy
    Go Gators!

One of the most inept GMs in history
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    One of the most inept GMs in history
    Indeed, this really is a staggering achievement.

Mirages aren't valuable, especially on teams that go nowhere. He filled space, poorly. It amounted to nothing, impressed no one (Ramirez never had trade value) and led to nothing useful in the future. The Reds got nothing out of the Elizardo Ramirez experience. Any schlub could have pitched those innings and the world would remain unchanged.
    No, any scrub couldn't have pitched those innings. He gave the team 100 innings of above average ERA. Mirage or not, the fact that he didn't continue it the next year does not make those innings any less valuable to the 2006 season. The fact that you didn't like him or his stuff has nothing to do with that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Jay Bruce will be the best and maybe only good part of Dan O's legacy
    I will go ahead and throw Bailey and Cueto into that group too. Granted he may not have had much to do with either of those guys, they both became a part of the organization under his watch.

Turn Off Ads?