Thread: Adam Dunn and a LTC

Re: Adam Dunn and a LTC

Quote Originally Posted by TN Red Fan View Post
    How's that?
    pitchers adjust...hopper chases...batting average suffers

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    I agree with this assessment. However, I have a feeling the plan is to keep Bruce in Louisville until "someone" gets injured, and have Hopper and Freel share CF/leadoff duties. We need that speed at the top of the lineup, dude.

People need to prepare themselves to see Bruce treated just like Votto was last year.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    No, no. How do you come to the conclusion that he doesn't have any plate discipline? His BB/K numbers have been respectable throughout his career.

No, no. How do you come to the conclusion that he doesn't have any plate discipline? His BB/K numbers have been respectable throughout his career.
    he doesn't have to strikeout to show that he has a lack of plate discipline. He reaches and grounds out instead of striking out, it doesn't make a difference. The guy saw 3.2 pitches per PA in 2007...

Pitchers Per At-bat. A high contact rate and half way decent walk rate means that you'll get the impression of plate discipline, but compare him to someone like Dunn who will see more than 3/4 pitches per at bat on a constant basis.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

he doesn't have to strikeout to show that he has a lack of plate discipline. He reaches and grounds out instead of striking out, it doesn't make a difference. The guy saw 3.2 pitches per PA in 2007...
    OK

Recovering Cubs Fan

Why?
    Well, you of all people should agree we need whatever speedy guys we have up there before that base-cloggin' Adam Dunn comes up and gets in the way.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Well, you of all people should agree we need whatever speedy guys we have up there before that base-cloggin' Adam Dunn comes up and gets in the way.
    But I love clogging the bases, it's one of my hobbies!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

You do realize that HOPPER can adjust too, right? He can certainly become more patient at the plate, just like he can learn to be a better basestealer.

But in regards to a LTC for Dunn....what about the upcoming Phillips LTC? Will we be able to handle BOTH big deals? If it came down to a choice....I'd have to lean towards Brandon. We've got some promising young OF's coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You do realize that HOPPER can adjust too, right? He can certainly become more patient at the plate, just like he can learn to be a better basestealer.

But in regards to a LTC for Dunn....what about the upcoming Phillips LTC? Will we be able to handle BOTH big deals? If it came down to a choice....I'd have to lean towards Brandon. We've got some promising young OF's coming up.
    It has been pretty much proven that players don't just suddenly increase patience at the plate...

Phillips is still under control for a couple more years... Unless he takes a huge hometown discount I'd rather have Dunn because Phillips is OVERRATED and therefore cost more than his value...

I'll give you that in regards to learning patience. But still, the threat of that bunted single forces the defense to do so many different things its ALWAYS a good thing to have that threat. If they charge, the odds to slap a single past them is much higher, if they hesitate to charge...he's quick enough to still beat it out. There are "some" good fielding pitchers out there, but they're far from common. I don't see his average dropping much due to pitchers changing their tactics against him.

As for Phillips....I certainly don't consider him overrated at all. He has improved in nearly every season he's been in the bigs. Offensively and defensively. Right now I'd say he's the most complete secondbaseman in the NL.

As for the Dunner....I've always liked him, more than most people. Yes he K's a lot, but his plate discipline is better than most people realize. A LOT of those walks are NOT intentional. His avg made some solid strides last year too. But defensively...*sigh*...that's just the killer. I thought for a long time that we should try him at first but I've since learned that we actually did that several years ago without success. With Hamilton gone now, I think we're pretty much forced to sign Dunn to a contract...I'm just not sure we need a long term one. This year (and next) will give us a good insight into what our minor league OF's are made of. And I'd much rather have more payroll flexibility to use for signing FA pitchers in these next 2 years than clogging it up in players who may not be in our plans 2 years from now.

I'll give you that in regards to learning patience. But still, the threat of that bunted single forces the defense to do so many different things its ALWAYS a good thing to have that threat. If they charge, the odds to slap a single past them is much higher, if they hesitate to charge...he's quick enough to still beat it out. There are "some" good fielding pitchers out there, but they're far from common. I don't see his average dropping much due to pitchers changing their tactics against him.

As for Phillips....I certainly don't consider him overrated at all. He has improved in nearly every season he's been in the bigs. Offensively and defensively. Right now I'd say he's the most complete secondbaseman in the NL.

As for the Dunner....I've always liked him, more than most people. Yes he K's a lot, but his plate discipline is better than most people realize. A LOT of those walks are NOT intentional. His avg made some solid strides last year too. But defensively...*sigh*...that's just the killer. I thought for a long time that we should try him at first but I've since learned that we actually did that several years ago without success. With Hamilton gone now, I think we're pretty much forced to sign Dunn to a contract...I'm just not sure we need a long term one. This year (and next) will give us a good insight into what our minor league OF's are made of. And I'd much rather have more payroll flexibility to use for signing FA pitchers in these next 2 years than clogging it up in players who may not be in our plans 2 years from now.
    I'll give you that Phillips is a good defender, but most of his value at the plate last year was due to his high amount of PA's... He's just not a great hitter...

I can't disagree enough on that assesment. Yes he got a lot of AB's. There's no discounting that. But he still hits for an above average BA (.280+), with some pop (30 dingers), and an excellent baserunner (30+ sb's with few cs's). Add that to the excellent defense and you've got the best 2b in the NL. He needs to work on the K's though, I'll definitely give you that one. I think one of the biggest reasons his K's were up this year was the fact that he was put into a position of a power hitter too much in the lineup. I'd much rather see him in the middle of the back end of the lineup (around 6th or 7th). Spreading the pop around the lineup a bit more would benefit us more I think.

I can't disagree enough on that assesment. Yes he got a lot of AB's. There's no discounting that. But he still hits for an above average BA (.280+), with some pop (30 dingers), and an excellent baserunner (30+ sb's with few cs's). Add that to the excellent defense and you've got the best 2b in the NL. He needs to work on the K's though, I'll definitely give you that one. I think one of the biggest reasons his K's were up this year was the fact that he was put into a position of a power hitter too much in the lineup. I'd much rather see him in the middle of the back end of the lineup (around 6th or 7th). Spreading the pop around the lineup a bit more would benefit us more I think.
    Yeah, Chase Utley and I can't disagree more. I really don't want to go into that arguement again... However, using BA to tell me how good of a hitter he is isn't a way to convince me lol

40HR/100RBI/100RUNS/100BB will get him at least a 25 million/per offer from the Yankees

Turn Off Ads?