Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Freel

What to do with Freel

The way the team is currently set up we have these 13 position players: Votto, Hat, Phillips, Gonzo, EE, Keppinger, Griffey, Freel, Bruce, Hopper, Dunn, Ross & Valentin.

Freel brings speed and versatility. However, the emergence of Hopper and Keppinger in 2007 make Freel superfluous.

Here is what I would like to see before opening day:

1. The Reds get a right handed power bat for the bench. Someone who hits lefties well. ie Kevin Mench.

2. We see in spring training if Freel is healthy & we see if Bruce is ready to play in the bigs opening day. We also make sure we don't have any injuries to a starter before opening day. If all looks good then we trade Freel in spring training to a team who needs him. I suspect if he is healthy he could be traded because some team out there will have an injury to a 2nd baseman, 3rd baseman or outfielder in spring training & need a replacement.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do with Freel

Trade him, his style of play and his age make me think he'll have more years like 07 then 06.
    Go Gators!

Make him play with a crash helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

One of Freel and Hopper will most likely start the 2008 as the Reds' starting CF, and that scares the crap out of me. I'm hoping that we can move one, if not both of them, to improve our CF stopgap until Bruce is ready.

I don't see Freel and or Hopper getting traded for pitching that will help us, but maybe we can move them for another position player? Who knows? But right now, I don't like our options in CF before Bruce is ready.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I know Freel had a really rough 2007, but I think he might even be underrated in 2008. Yes, he needs to get the OBP up and relearn how to run the bases with more cautious aggression. However, Hopper is a guy who made the majors at 28 with a career minor leauge line of .289/.343/.335.

He has virtually no power, don't forget that. 14/20 SB isn't exactly great added value. If he can continue to hit .320, he could remain a pretty valuable guy. But he's locked in to the OF and isn't exactly a stellar value. At his best, he's what Freel has been from 2004-2006 with less speed, less power, and less position flexibility.

If you can trade Freel and get value in return, fine. But if I have to choose, Hopper goes back to AAA and Freel gets first crack at getting his job back as supersub.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'll go out on a limb here and say Keppinger doesn't make the opening day roster in favor of Castro. If Castro isn't healthy, then maybe Kepp will.

If thats indeed true, I say Freel stays to be the back up at 2B and 3B.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I try to trade him, but think his contract may make him tough to deal. If I can't move him, he's still versatile enough to keep around until he face plants into a wall somewhere. If the OPs 13-man list is right above and Bruce makes the club out of Spring Training, I would also like to see them add a right handed-bat and only keep one of Freel, Hopper and Dickerson (probably Freel because of his ability to help in the INF in an emergency.

Do either Hopper or Dickerson have opitions left? I would expect to see on of them (or Freel) included in a lesser deal (or throw-in on a larger one) before the end of ST, if not sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'll go out on a limb here and say Keppinger doesn't make the opening day roster in favor of Castro. If Castro isn't healthy, then maybe Kepp will.

If thats indeed true, I say Freel stays to be the back up at 2B and 3B.
    Freel needs to run into Castro. I want neither he nor Stanton near the roster come Opening Day! :thumbdown

The team will probably have five bench spots next season. Scott and Javy are locks. Considering that they are limited to C/1B, the rest (3) of the spots must cover SS, 3rd, 2nd, and the OF. With Kepp and Hopper apperently making the roster, that gives the roster one IF and one OF. It would make sense, then, to give Freel the final spot considering that he is versitile enough to cover the IF and OF. If he gets on base anywhere near .370 again, he could be a very valuable utility guy.

I think that Hopper has played some 2nd in the past (not sure), so he could see some infield time as well.

I can see Freel starting in CF. Jay Bruce doesn't have the range and he is a corner outfielder whether he likes it or not.

Besides, having Bruce and Dunn out there together is flat scary. If they collided, GAB would blow up. Gotta keep those 2 bigmen seperated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I can see Freel starting in CF. Jay Bruce doesn't have the range and he is a corner outfielder whether he likes it or not.

Besides, having Bruce and Dunn out there together is flat scary. If they collided, GAB would blow up. Gotta keep those 2 bigmen seperated.
    If Bruce plays well in ST I think he starts the season in CFbut I can also see him in L'Ville w/Freel inCG if bruce is not lights out.

Bruce may not be a gold glover, but I think he's at least better in CF than Freel defensively.

Not sure the Reds will feel the need to have 12 pitchers on the roster at the start of the season. especially since carrying 11 would make room for the elusive RH bat.

Unless they're serious about Valenzuela; then they might need 12 from the git-go.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

IMO, there's a not a chance in hell of that happening.

As for Freel I'd keep him until Bruce establishes himself.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I'm in favor of holding onto Freel untill Bruce establishes himself.

If Bruce doesn't win the job in ST Freel will start in CF because of his speed and his salary.

That ship has sailed. The time to trade Freel was when every announcer coming through town lauded him as a freakish supersub experiment crossing Pete Rose and Chone Figgins, and he was on Baseball Tonight every evening during it's web gem segment. That's when Freel-mania might have actually netted something. Now that his buzz has settled back into the neighborhood of his actual value, he's probably going to serve us best doing the good job he does filling in when havoc strikes... if he can even make the cut.

Turn Off Ads?