Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How good is Matt Belisle?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Future Ace

2 1.96%
  • Middle-of-the-rotation starter

16 15.69%
  • Back-end starter, with potential to be middle-of-the-rotation

39 38.24%
  • Back-end starter

17 16.67%
  • With more work, a back-end starter

14 13.73%
  • Send him to the bullpen

11 10.78%
  • Just cut him already!

3 2.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is Matt Belisle?

How good is Matt Belisle?

I have seen many different opinions of Matt Belisle. Some, such as myself, believe that he is a solid #4/#5 now, and could develope into a #3. Others, think he is a borderline #5 guy that is better served with a move to the bullpen... What do you expect from Matt Belisle in 2008 and beyond?
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 12-23-2007 at 01:45 PM.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: How good is Matt Belisle

i expect belisle to be a solid #4 starter this season and beyond. If he really works hard he can become a #3 starter. Last year was his first full year a starter and had his up and downs. he needs to continue to develop his pitches and stamina so he can go later in games than he did last year. If Belisle could work in a sinker to his arsenal he would be even more successful. He had games where he would throw a complete game and look dominant and others he wouldn't last 3 or 4 innings.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: How good is Matt Belisle?

FUTURE ACE BABY!!!

And Hopper will be MVP!!!
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    FUTURE ACE BABY!!!

And Hopper will be MVP!!!
    Thanks for taking the poll seriously...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I think honestly that if he can work through his back issues and build on last year, he's a threat to be a controlled cheap and good number 3 starter. He had the potentional with the Braves when we traded for him and he showed flashes of it last season.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Count me among those who are unimpressed by Belisle. Either make him a bullpen long man or cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Count me among those who are unimpressed by Belisle. Either make him a bullpen long man or cut him.
    care to illustrate for us?

It's interesting to see how much the opinion on Belisle varies... JUST AS I EXPECTED!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I think he's a back end of the rotation starter right now but he does have the potential to be more in the middle of the rotation guy. Last year was his first year starting in the majors and he definitely had his ups and downs but I think he will do much better this year having some experience behind him. He's a hard working guy and I hope he can parlay that into a great year.

Im going with 4 or 5 with number 3 potential

I think Beslile would be perfect as the long man/6th starter spot on a good team.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    care to illustrate for us?
    I have heard several places, including from WK himself that Belisle finished strong and should be strong this season because of that strong finish. Here are his September stats.

IP H R ER HR BB SO DEC ERA
    30.2 30 19 18 4 9 21 1-1 5.28

His 5 starts in September featured ER totals of 5,2,5,4 & 2. Not exactly what I would call "finishing strong"

Not convinced yet? His August numbers were equally as "strong."

23.0 30 14 14 5 5 19 2-0 5.48

Should I go on? Ok, here's July's numbers.

25.2 39 19 18 4 7 18 0-3 6.31

But wait, there's more. June was his best yet

28.2 36 23 22 8 10 19 0-1 6.91

I, along with most Reds fans were very encouraged by his good start to the season, but he quickly came back to earth and left quite a divot. I just do not see why so many people see reason for optimism.

This year is his last chance. Honestly, I hope he can turn into a third starter. Right now he's a fifth starter at best.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I have heard several places, including from WK himself that Belisle finished strong and should be strong this season because of that strong finish. Here are his September stats.

His 5 starts in September featured ER totals of 5,2,5,4 & 2. Not exactly what I would call "finishing strong"

I, along with most Reds fans were very encouraged by his good start to the season, but he quickly came back to earth and left quite a divot. I just do not see why so many people see reason for optimism.
    so are you saying his first two months were just a fluke?

So here's my question. What do you consider a quality outing to be. Is it 6 IP / 3 ER , defined as a quality start? Or do you think it's more like 7IP/2ER. What stat line is good enough to be considered a good enough start for a back-end type starter. Is 7IP/4ER good enough even though it isnt a "QS". What about 5/3 or 5/2.

Turn Off Ads?