Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers hire Johnny Narron to look after Hamilton

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Rangers hire Johnny Narron to look after Hamilton

This was posted by Mainspark over on the other board.From a Rangers-related blog...

Jim Reeves, in his Sunday column for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, notes that the Rangers have brought Johnny Narron (brother of former Rangers and Reds manager Jerry Narron) aboard in a number of capacities, the most important of which will be to continue to serve as confidant and mentor to center fielder Josh Hamilton.

Narron, who coached Hamilton as a youth in North Carolina, served in that role last year for the Reds, in addition to running the club's video system. According to Reeves, he'll do the same for Texas and will also assist the organization as an in-game scout and help hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo. Notably, Narron also provided support for Cincinnati hitting coach Brook Jacoby, who had been with the Rangers for four years before getting the Reds job and had filled in for Jaramillo as big league hitting coach when Jaramillo was sidelined due to cancer treatments.

Narron was also a manager and hitting coach in the Brewers system, but his experience as a friend to Hamilton is why he's here.

There were a lot of negative posts on the other board concerning this. I think it is a good move by the Rangers, and it cost very little considering the salary of Narron is probably + - 100K.

On the road, Hamilton has no access to a support group, or sponsor. Hamilton has been very successful in his recovery so far. If Josh trusts Johnny, and has faith in his ability, what's the problem? Josh has not been clean for that long, and has a past of falling off the wagon, at least before he commmitted his life to Christ.

If you think about it, Josh probably does not know anyone on the Rangers personally. Now he has Johnny, who is knows better than anyone, or almost anyone.

You can call it a babysitter if you want to, but a recovering addict needs a sponsor that they have access to 24/7.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rangers hire Johnny Narron to look after Hamilton

Josh is gone i no longer care about him!

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Well, many here do, and will continue to do so.

I know I myself will follow Josh's progress in Texas.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post

I'll be checking Hamilton's stats daily. I hope he stays clean and continues to do well in baseball and life. Just because he's not a Red anymore doesn't mean he's not a good guy.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post

After reading the story about him in ESPN mag., How can you not root for him and wish him well. I care alot about him. I hope he makes the All-Star team for them next year. Here is the article.http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2926447

Good for the Rangers! I applaud them for recognizing Hamilton's progress and Narron's role in helping Josh continue his fight against addictions. I'll be pulling for Hamilton and I wish him all the best with his new team.

I wish him the best too but no more surviallance, no more babysitting, no more watching his lunchmoney, no more prayers for him to stay clean..only the chance to focus every effort on winning and getting somewhere in the division/league.

That means more to me than making sure Josh was okay.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I wish him the best too but no more surviallance, no more babysitting, no more watching his lunchmoney, no more prayers for him to stay clean..only the chance to focus every effort on winning and getting somewhere in the division/league.

That means more to me than making sure Josh was okay.
    You are a VERY shallow, one dimensional person. I would be embarrassed to have posted your response. Baseball is not more important than someone's life.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    You are a VERY shallow, one dimensional person. I would be embarrassed to have posted your response. Baseball is not more important than someone's life.

Actually, I am not shallow, I was posting Josh' risks. Like everyone wants to post Edinsons. It's a two way blade. Don't like the fact that I don't take everyone ragging on the Reds here lightly? You're right baseball is NOT more important than someones life..but You know what gets me more than anything? Everyone over looks that fact Josh has more risks than anyone because for 90 games, he was your savior.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Not to be harsh but does seem rather odd for him to have to have a babysitter(Narron) for the second straight year...when they do they cut the cord???

Stat geek...and proud

Well aren't you nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Not to be harsh but does seem rather odd for him to have to have a babysitter(Narron) for the second straight year...when they do they cut the cord???
    When he's ready. Besides, it's too early to do it after only two years. I would offer that more young players in professional sports need "babysitters" but not just for the same reason as Hamilton.

Josh isn't just a young ballplayer, he's a recovering cocaine addict that hit rock bottom. That's a big enough hurdle alone to get over by itself. Couple it with the stress of being a major league ballplayer and it's a GREAT idea for him to have a mentor for several more years.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Well aren't you nice.
    Yea he wore out his welcome with the team and demanded a trade. Peace out Josh

Yea he wore out his welcome with the team and demanded a trade. Peace out Josh
    Where did you see that he demanded a trade? Of all the stories I've read on the trade not once have I seen this.
    Most Vottomatic Player

"as long as im here johnny is going to be here"

Turn Off Ads?