Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob Sanders/Cincinnati Bengals

Re: Bob Sanders/Cincinnati Bengals

Is Justin Smith worthy of franchise tag-type money? I don't think he is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    No, but look at what we're paying for Geathers. He got way too big of a deal. I think we need to get rid of Smith. This defense needs a face. We need somebody that people identify with our defense. I don't think that will come from within. Briggs would be a tremendous addition, and could possibly be that face. I just don't know how good he will be without Harris playing in front of him. Harris really frees up Briggs and Urlacher to go to work.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I wasn't reading his contract when evaluating his play. He played a good game, you were railing that he is the downfall of the entire front 7. I consider that he might be more dominating if the rest of the front 7 were above instead of below average.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I wasn't reading his contract when evaluating his play. He played a good game, you were railing that he is the downfall of the entire front 7. I consider that he might be more dominating if the rest of the front 7 were above instead of below average.

The problem with Justin Smith is that he totally lacks any kind of consistency. People praise him for his "high motor." Sometimes he has great games because of it. However, more often than not it results in him overpursuing the RB on a running play or being easily guided past the QB by the OL on a pass play. Great one game, disappears the next two. Smith is not a franchise player, but he's one of those guys who puts up a couple of great games and causes some people to think he has the potential to be great. Unfortunately, he's been in the league long enough now for us to know that he is what he is. If he's a leader of this D on the field, then he's not a very good one, because the D stinks. The game would have been a blowout in favor of the Browns if Derek Anderson hadn't made a number of ill-advised throws.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Justin Smith will not be a Bengal next year, and I'm completely fine with that. I would LOVE to see the Bengals make a run at signing Albert Haynsworth, Jared Allen, Lance Briggs or Terrell Suggs. If they signed any of those four I would be more than happy.

Then, I would like to see the Bengals draft Chris Long, Sedrick Ellis, Vernon Gholston, or James Laurinaitis. Of couse I would love to see Glenn Dorsey, but that's not going to happen.
    Go BLUE!!!

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Gholston would be so awesome. The whole damn front seven needs an overhaul.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    The Bengals have a pretty good young secondary. Ndukwe played well today. They also have Marvin White, Dexter Jackson, and Madieu Williams. I just don't think that is an area they will aggressivly persue. None the less, he is a terrific player, and could only help this team.
    Madieu is a free agent, Dexter Jackson is garbage, and Ndukwe and White are unproven.

And you're crazy if you think the Bengals are going to overpay for a free agent to come to Cincinnati...

Exactly....this is the Bengals front office we are talking about....they would rather re-sign average players beacuse they known them...then take a chance and pay for FA who can be and most likely would be better than the player they have.

Basically they would have no problem re-signing Smith even if the Dutchman DE from TENN was a FA and available for the same price being paid Smith now.

I think they should call Coy bacon and Eddie Edwards out of retirement......they have a better chance of doing that then signing an actual FA of value.

Bob Sanders has been injury prone his whole career.

My feeling is the pick is going to be Sedrick Ellis. Laurianitis is not going to get past New England and McFadden will likely go before the Pats pick.

I do think Terrell Suggs would be an interesting fit, and with the Marvin connection, it could be a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Bob Sanders has been injury prone his whole career.

My feeling is the pick is going to be Sedrick Ellis. Laurianitis is not going to get past New England and McFadden will likely go before the Pats pick.

I do think Terrell Suggs would be an interesting fit, and with the Marvin connection, it could be a possibility.
    Marvin has no connection to Suggs.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3171368

Sources: Sanders signs for five years, $37.5 million
    By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN.com

Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders has signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract with the Colts that includes $20 million in guaranteed money, according to NFL sources.

The contract makes Sanders the highest-paid safety in the NFL.

Sanders, whose playoff performance sparked the Colts on their run to a Super Bowl victory last season, would have been an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

What kind of contract would Bob Sanders earn if the NFL had a payroll structure similar to MLB???

Turn Off Ads?