Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which of the Reds' three young pitchers will have the best major league career?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homer Bailey

45 44.12%
  • Johnny Cueto

40 39.22%
  • Edinson Volquez

12 11.76%
  • None of them will ever be better than a #4 starter

5 4.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of the Big Three will have the best big league career?

Which of the Big Three will have the best big league career?

Your thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which of the Big Three will have the best big league career?

I haven't seen enough or know enough about Volquez so I am gonna say Bailey.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Just an arbitrary pick - couldn't say in reality who will.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Cueto. Stuff, command, velo. He's got it all. His size doesn't bother me, as his results speak for themselves.

Wow, no love for Volquez so far? He's my pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Wow, no love for Volquez so far? He's my pick.
    Fear of the unkown?
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Cueto. Stuff, command, velo. He's got it all. His size doesn't bother me, as his results speak for themselves.
    Agreed.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I voted Cueto. While stuff helps determine your ceiling, control & command is the biggest factor (health aside) is determining whether you reach it.

With Bailey & Volquez, there seems to be nearly even odds on whether or not they ever break the fringe starter ceiling. Cueto seems to have a clear path to that #2/#3 starter level of effectiveness. I think both Tim Hudson and Roy Oswalt have shown that smaller pitchers can remain effective. Surely they will grow less productive over time, as all players do, but the idea that a few seasons will wear him down seems to be laregly unfounded.

Until Homer and Volquez reign in their stuff, I see nothing but Kyle Lohsesque careers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Youngest guy? Bailey.
    Best stuff? Bailey.

Makes it an easy pick for me. Cueto would go next, then Volquez.

Mo had the Texas beat writer on his show today and he said Volquez was Texas minor league pitcher of the year 3 years in a row, he was clearly their top prospect. I was torn between him and Bailey but I went with Volquez.

This is a very tough question, but also a very good one.

I love all three of these guys. I think all three could be special, top of the rotation guys. Each of them have great stuff but I picked Johnny Cueto because his stuff is the most refined of the three at this point. He doesn't necessarily have the highest ceiling of the three, but he is a guy who will step right in and contribute to the Reds because of his great control and stuff. The other two may take a little time to reach their ceilings due to shaky command, though I see all three of them being great major league pitchers, it's just that I think Cueto gets there quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Agreed...the Dodgers first put Pedro Martinez in the bullpen and then traded him for a second baseman because they felt he was too small. Oswalt and Santana are not much bigger.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Reds haven't produced a home-grown starter in two decades. Smart money is on nobody bucking that trend -- and, if they do, not being very good.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Not exactly going out on a limb here, but...

I predict that Homer Bailey will have the brightest burn, but it'll likely be for a couple seasons with his second or third team.

I predict that Johnny Cueto will have the best overall career as a consistent #2 to solid #3 Starter.

I predict that Edinson Volquez is the most likely of the three to flame out as a starter and to bounce around as a somewhat frustrating decent middle reliever. Reminds me of a little chunkier, more HR-prone version of Juan Cruz.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm glad to see Volquez starting to get some more votes. I considered choosing him but I thought it over and decided to go with Cueto. I think all three are going to develop into great pitchers within a couple years, forming the best Reds rotation in decades.

Turn Off Ads?