Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The catcher position for the Reds

The catcher position for the Reds

I really would feel much better about next season if we had a better catcher to handle our young pitchers. It would seem the Reds agree with me . There are 4 additional catchers that will be coming to spring training along with Ross and Valentin: Alvin Colina,Chris Kroski, Ryan Hanigan, and Craig Tatum. Most of these are pretty down in our minor league system, but I expect the Reds to give Colina and Hanigan every chance to beat a .203 BA.

One other possibility I might look at is considering signing Johnny Estrada as a free agent. He did hit about .280, and I have heard there are 3 teams inquiring after him. The Reds really do need to look at the possibility of upgrading the catching position before the off-season ends.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The catcher position for the Reds

I agree that they need to upgrade their pitching. However, there is always a load of catchers given non-roster invitations. It takes a good number of them to work out all the pitchers.

Michael Barrett is the guy I'd like to see the Reds acquire.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

The Reds need to sign Estrada and call up Tatum. While also keeping Valentine and Ross. This way if Ross goes down with an injury, after Valentine has pinch hit, they can replace him with Estrada. Then if Estrada gets injured we could replace him with Tatum. So if all 4 catchers go down, both Hatty and Freel have enough experience to catch. It's perfect logic no matter how many bad hitters it forces onto the team. BTW, I Hate Chad Moeller and WK for signing Moeller.
    Seriously, how can you keep a hitter with an OPS+ of 4 for 3.5 months. Thats an OPS 96% below league average just to have an extra catcher for those cases listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I agree that they need to upgrade their pitching. However, there is always a load of catchers given non-roster invitations. It takes a good number of them to work out all the pitchers.

Michael Barrett is the guy I'd like to see the Reds acquire.
    The thing is for how much he's going to cost, is it really worth it?
    Ross is 2.5 mil, and Barrett would cost 3.5mil and minor leaguers. Valentine is 1.5 mil. Assuming WK keeps all 3 (which he's shown to do in the past), that would cost 7.5 mil and mid level prospects.
    Barrett has been good before, but last year his OPS+ was 68. Compared to 68 for Ross. And 82 for Valentine. So obviously you'd expect Barret to improve, but Ross's 2006 season had a higher OPS+ than Barretts. 130 to 121.
    All the extra money and players do is more production from relativly the same level. He's not going to add anything overall and just cost money. What Barrett might add offensively compared to Ross, Ross will make up with his defense and game calling. I could understand it if Barrett was a lefty so they could both have advantages as hitters, but he's not.

Hasn't Estrada been poor at throwing out runners? If so, not sure I want to have young pitcher's overly worried about runners on.

I'm fine with a poor hitting catcher as long as his ability on the field remains at such a high level. With no ready prospects in our minors it would cost a king's ransom to get a catcher that can hit and is great in the field. We tried last year to get a young one in Saltamacchia but the Braves wanted too much.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I was really discouraged with Ross's 2007 offensive performance, as many others were. There is no way I could advocate having any regular bat in the line-up bordering on the Mendoza line. However, Ross recieved many compliments in 2007 for his defensive performance. Apparently, Ross is very good at calling games and handling pitchers.

So as for Amarillo's original post, Ross would be a very good candidate to help Volquez and Bailey out with their development as young pitchers. I really wish Ross could get his average up to around .240, because with all of those walks and all that power, he could be a decent catcher with only a .240 batting average.

He did have a career .230 BA in the minors, so a comeback is certainly possible.. I would be willing to tolerate a good defensive catcher who can handle pitchers(even with a low BA) for the short term. In the future, however, I would be looking to get much more out of the catcher position. I will be really interested to see what Ryan Hanigan can show us this year in spring training.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Estrada is a terrible defensive catcher. Career .239 CS% and last year it was .131. Bad Idea...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I suppose I was temporarily overcome by his .280 BA last year. Offense isn't everything, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I was really discouraged with Ross's 2007 offensive performance, as many others were. There is no way I could advocate having any regular bat in the line-up bordering on the Mendoza line. However, Ross recieved many compliments in 2007 for his defensive performance. Apparently, Ross is very good at calling games and handling pitchers.

So as for Amarillo's original post, Ross would be a very good candidate to help Volquez and Bailey out with their development as young pitchers. I really wish Ross could get his average up to around .240, because with all of those walks and all that power, he could be a decent catcher with only a .240 batting average.
    I agree with the thinking that Ross should be good for Volquez and Bailey. However, they have to let him call the game and listen to him. I remember the game last season when Homer feel apart, Ross going to the mound as Homer was about to get in trouble, and Homer blew Ross off. Didn't want to hear what Ross was trying to tell him. He better learn to listen, he's got a lot to learn....

I would like to keep Ross for defensive purposes, because I think he is good with the pitching staff, and at worst case offensively, he hits for a low average with some good power. Also, I do not think there is anyway he hits as poorly as last season... Also, I wonder if Dusty Baker will continue to have Valentin catch Bailey...
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

"I would keep Rick Dempsey as my everyday catcher if he hit .000 all season long."

Earl Weaver.

Catchers are a defensive position, even more so that shortstop. We have been spoiled by Johnny Bench. Ross is a fine everyday catcher.
    As stated before, Estrada's defense is terrible, and Barrett is a horrible clubhouse guy. He has been traded twice, just to get him out of the clubhouse.

Ross is ok he is not going to be an all star but he can drop an occasional bomb and is pretty good defensively.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Although Ross isn't your ideal catcher for a playoff team, we have more pressing needs I think. Ross is very good defensively, and throws out a pretty high percentage of runners. His offense blows of course, but before we go trade/sign a new catcher it would seem more logical to go get another starter/bullpen guy first. I will agree thought that in the long term Ross needs to be limited to backup.

Turn Off Ads?