Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Willits

Cruisin' for trouble

Reggie Willits

With the Angels outfield a bit crowded now with the likes of Vlad, Torii Hunter, Garrett Anderson and Gary Mathews, does it make sense for the Reds to pursue Reggie Willits?

I don't think Reggie is necessarily a long-term answer anywhere, but he could hold down CF until Bruce is ready and provide a good complement to the bench.

He provides decent leadoff skills, can take a pitch, walks a decent amount and can steal a base.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reggie Willits

I wouldn't give up anything of significance for him, and I think the Angels would want something decent. There's no point in giving up a key cog for a guy who will just be a placeholder for a year at most.
    Go BLUE!!!

Norris Hopper Part Deux. No thanks.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Norris Hopper Part Deux. No thanks.
    Willits has ISODs of around .100 in both the majors and the minors. Unlike Hopper, he's a good bet to continue getting on base at a high rate because his OBP isn't AVG driven (though he's hit for a good AVG throughout his career). I don't know anything about his baserunning or defensive ability, but his OBP suggests that he'd be a legitimate leadoff option. He has no power, though I imagine he'd get a small boost coming to GABP from the AL West.

If his defense is good enough, he may be a good guy to stick in CF between Dunn and Bruce. But he's not gonna play over the latter or Griffey.

I like Willits and he's a good cheap controllable target who I think can handle it defensively. He is light years ahead of Hopper offensively (more like Freel pre 2007). He doesn't have much power but a move to GABP and the NL will probably be a boost there. I wouldn't give up a ton. Maybe if the Angels are looking for a LH reliever (they need one) I'd deal Coutlangus (or Stanton obviously) and a secondary propsect (Lecure??) but I wouldn't trade anything significant unless its a bigger package where the Reds get rotation help.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Willits is a solid player but the Angels will not want to get rid of him IMO. He is their ultra-utility player who can also start for long stretches if you need him. I bet they overvalue him to some extent if anything. You make a good point about their glut of OFs, but they'll find a way to get him PT due to the DH, injuries and other factors.

I hope the Reds go after a RHH CF, but I hope it's someone with a little bit of pop who is good or great defensively. Actually, I care less about the pop than I do the D. And I would like it to be a FA so we're not giving up any prospects.

I think Reggie's better than Hopper, but it will be interesting to see if Baker likes Hopper as much as Narron did.

I don't think there is a need for Reggie Willits.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I like Reggie and he'd be a nice player to have but I doubt the Angels will give him up without anything significant. And, frankly, as has been said, we have our own version of Willits in either Freel or Hopper. To me, it wouldn't make any sense to trade for him unless we moved one of Freel or Hopper.

BTW, I watched a fair amount of Angels games last year and I don't recall seeing Reggie play CF. (famous shrug)

Rem

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    BTW, I watched a fair amount of Angels games last year and I don't recall seeing Reggie play CF. (famous shrug)
    Played 30 games there last year and 19 the year before.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'd trade Freel or Hopper for him, he seems to have the ability to take a walk, and has youth on his side
    Go Gators!

I've liked Reggie Willits since his days in double A. He reminds me of David Eckstein. He always seems to be getting on base somehow or other. His defense is also a plus.

I know the Angels have a fullhouse in the outfield, but I would think the offer would have to really tempt the Angels to move him. He would be a nice backup for a deep and talented contender.

I believe the Cardinals and a few other teams have been looking into Willits.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Played 30 games there last year and 19 the year before.
    I'm sure he did, I just don't have a visual observence of him playing CF so it's a little tough to judge his ability. He certainly would seem to have the speed for it.

Once again, nice guy to have on your team but if you don't move at least one of Freel/Hopper where are you going to play him---especially with Bruce waiting in the wings?

Rem

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I would much rather have Willits than Freel or Hopper.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I'd rather center a deal around EE and Figgins. Figgins could play CF or 3B for us, depending on the match up. Alternately using Kepp at 3rd and Bruce in CF. Of course I would rather keep EE however he seems like the one guy that the halo's would have some interest in. But on 2nd thought Baker isn't fond of platoon's alledgedly so that's probably not a likely scenario.

But I would love to get Figgins to hit leadoff. I also like Macier Izturis who if we could get would then allow us to flip him or Gonzo (preferably the latter) to the O's as an extra piece in a re-visited Bedard deal. But I don't know if Izturis has the edge on the starting SS job (I assume he does) or if they wanna/gonna give that job to Aybar.

Certainly there is alot that could be done, but it's all quite unlikely.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-26-2007 at 10:55 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Good defensive CF, with legitimate speed and capable of sustaining at .370+ OB in the leadoff position? No, the Reds have no need of a player like that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?