Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Wayne Krivsky's contract be extended?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 36.89%
  • No

10 9.71%
  • He should be further evaluated this season

55 53.40%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Wayne Krivsky's contract be extended?

Re: Should Wayne Krivsky's contract be extended?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Bronson Arroyo was hardly a reject. He had just signed a three-year deal at a discount to stay in Boston. That was value for value at its finest. That said, I do wish Taylor Teagarden could have been the other player in the Hammy deal, even if it meant us including Hatteberg going to Texas.
    Arroyo was 7th or 8th on Boston's depth chart in the spring of 2006. The Sox were looking to dump his contract.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's wait and see how the season plays out, there is plenty of time to sign him to an extension.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Arroyo was 7th or 8th on Boston's depth chart in the spring of 2006. The Sox were looking to dump his contract.
    No, they weren't. He was #5 or #6 (a fringe of the rotation guy), and he took well below market value to sign with Boston just a few months earlier. WMP was pretty highly regarded at the time (about the same as Hamilton now.) It was a lot more than just a salary dump.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Let's wait and see how the season plays out, there is plenty of time to sign him to an extension.
    Very true. It's not as if he's a player in free agency, where the longer you wait the less likely he'll stay.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think some people forget that as a GM, you're going to make a mistake or two. Especially in your earlier years. You can win every trade. You have to take a risk to get a reward.

Has Wayne been perfect? No. Has he been a vast improvement from what we've previously had? Absolutely. Could someone else out there do the job better than Wayne? Probably.

I do think this year is important to Wayne. If I had to decide now, I'd keep him though.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think some people forget that as a GM, you're going to make a mistake or two.
    I hate to say it but mistakes are not acceptable at Redszone. Sorry. :
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

No, they weren't. He was #5 or #6 (a fringe of the rotation guy), and he took well below market value to sign with Boston just a few months earlier. WMP was pretty highly regarded at the time (about the same as Hamilton now.) It was a lot more than just a salary dump.
    No. In spring of 2006 Boston had Beckett, Schilling, Clement, Wakefield, Papelbon and Lester all penciled in to the rotation in front of Arroyo. He was 7th in their plans at best and they did not want to pay $4 Million or so for a long relief mop-up type. It was not a tough negotiation to make and WK gave up a guy who at the time was his starting LF with 30 HR projections.

I'm not being overly critical. WK went out and got Hatte, moved Dunn to LF and freed up Pena for the deal. He improved the rotation and the defense in 2 spots, but it wasn't a deal of established player for established player. Not value for value by any means but more of a no risk (Arroyo could hardly be worse than what the Reds had) acquisition that turned into a lot more. I give WK kudos for that and classify it with the Phillips acquisition.

In any event its kind of hair splitting at this point.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

No. In spring of 2006 Boston had Beckett, Schilling, Clement, Wakefield, Papelbon and Lester all penciled in to the rotation in front of Arroyo. He was 7th in their plans at best and they did not want to pay $4 Million or so for a long relief mop-up type. It was not a tough negotiation to make and WK gave up a guy who at the time was his starting LF with 30 HR projections.

I'm not being overly critical. WK went out and got Hatte, moved Dunn to LF and freed up Pena for the deal. He improved the rotation and the defense in 2 spots, but it wasn't a deal of established player for established player. Not value for value by any means but more of a no risk (Arroyo could hardly be worse than what the Reds had) acquisition that turned into a lot more. I give WK kudos for that and classify it with the Phillips acquisition.

In any event its kind of hair splitting at this point.

If you are giving up your starting LF with 30 HR projections for a pitcher who had averaged 185 IP and a 4.30 ERA in the two prior seasons in the AL East, it is a far cry from trading a PTBNL for a guy who was designated for assignment (Phillips). If those are the numbers of a "reject", then please, give me more rejects. Furthermore, I don't know how you could call the Hamilton/Volquez trade value for value, yet claim this trade wasn't. I know it's splitting hairs at this point, but I've got to keep it real. You are dead wrong on your assessment of the Bronson Arroyo trade.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-26-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Why on earth would you extend him? What's the point? Are we afraid some other team poaching him away?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Why on earth would you extend him? What's the point? Are we afraid some other team poaching him away?
    It isn't a completely unreasonable question, IMO. I can partially see the logic behind not wanting your GM to feel like he needs to start doing crazy things and begin to completely mortgage the future to avoid the axe. If you think the long-term plan is solid, an extension can be a vote of confidence; and it's not like eating the contract of a front office guy (should it be necessary) is going to bankrupt a team.

I agree with your point, though -- there's certainly no market pressure to give him a deal right now.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I believe he still has an option they can excercise, but there's no reason to even decide on that at this point.

Let's not be locking people up prematurely again...

If you are giving up your starting LF with 30 HR projections for a pitcher who had averaged 185 IP and a 4.30 ERA in the two prior seasons in the AL East, it is a far cry from trading a PTBNL for a guy who was designated for assignment (Phillips). If those are the numbers of a "reject", then please, give me more rejects. Furthermore, I don't know how you could call the Hamilton/Volquez trade value for value, yet claim this trade wasn't. I know it's splitting hairs at this point, but I've got to keep it real. You are dead wrong on your assessment of the Bronson Arroyo trade.
    In Boston's eyes Arroyo was a guy that they wanted rid of. They planned to turn the rotation over to others and didn't want to pay that much for a middle reliever/mop-up man. I know Pena had some value but Boston made the deal knowing there was no place for Pena to play. The primary motivation for Boston was moving the contract and not necessarily acquiring Pena. The rumors had Arroyo on the market all spring. Volquez, OTOH, was a guy that Texas didn't really want to trade and the motivation there was acquiring the bat that they got. Its a subtle but important difference IMO in the environment that surrounded the deals being made. I'll concede its a fine line though and I've probably already spent more time boring the rest of the board with it than its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I believe he still has an option they can excercise, but there's no reason to even decide on that at this point.

Let's not be locking people up prematurely again...
    Seconded.

Makes all the routine posts.

In Boston's eyes Arroyo was a guy that they wanted rid of. They planned to turn the rotation over to others and didn't want to pay that much for a middle reliever/mop-up man. I know Pena had some value but Boston made the deal knowing there was no place for Pena to play. The primary motivation for Boston was moving the contract and not necessarily acquiring Pena. The rumors had Arroyo on the market all spring. Volquez, OTOH, was a guy that Texas didn't really want to trade and the motivation there was acquiring the bat that they got. Its a subtle but important difference IMO in the environment that surrounded the deals being made. I'll concede its a fine line though and I've probably already spent more time boring the rest of the board with it than its worth.
    You honestly think the Red Sox were worried about Arroyo's salary of 3 million a year? Pshaww.

They wanted some right handed power off the bench so they flipped an extra piece for it. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

mth123 has a fair assessment

Turn Off Ads?