Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Wayne Krivsky's contract be extended?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 36.89%
  • No

10 9.71%
  • He should be further evaluated this season

55 53.40%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Should Wayne Krivsky's contract be extended?

Re: Should Wayne Krivsky's contract be extended?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    exactly wrong
    exactly subjective. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

No one drafts to help you in the short term.
    I don't think it's a good path, but Ryan Wagner and Houston Street say hello.

Man Pills

Billy Beane has made a career out of short term drafts. Though I think the term short-term drafts is awfully misleading because there's no way for one to really draft exclusively or even close to exclusively in that way. I think you can only lean that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    subjective. :
    I prefer the term "expert"

Bowden's stubbornness is generally revealed by his refusal to sell OFers for pitchers, and in particular by his refusal to hold a firesale in his last Cincy season. He was canned for it, and Harang/Belisle resulted.

his stubbornness has continued to result in Washington's pitching fiascos and outfield surpluses. His stubbornness borders on insanity-- doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Man.

This board is so impulsive. We haven't even see what the result of the Hamilton trade is, and already we want to extend his contract. Shades of how Krivsky works when deciding to extend Coffee or giving Cromier a second year.

Since there's no one out there who could make a difference or do better than WK, I can't see replacing him, but granting him an extention right now given no one else wants him is crazy.

He's had as many bad moves as good moves. We are a forgetful bunch, and I'd rather look at how the team has improved in wins and losses rather than trades that look like they may work out on paper. If the team has another losing season, we might as well have Mickey Mouse as GM because no improvement will have been seen on Krivsky's watch.
    I'm seen as a WK apologist, but I voted to wait to see how this year unfolds. It remains to be seen how things will progress, but I like how he has reshaped this organization even if it has been imperfect. I wouldn't agree that we've had as many bad moves as good. The good have been better overall than the bad. Most of the bad moves have been miscalculations, e.g. trading for Cormier which required an extension to get him to agree to the trade - I've said all along I think Krivsky figured he could be moved for some minor leaguers, but that didn't occur).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    True, as far as the pythagorean record goes, the Reds haven't improved much, but I look at it in the context of what Wayne Krivsky inherited when he took the job. The reason the Reds won as many games in 2005 as they did was due to getting good/decent numbers from Jason LaRue, Sean Casey, Rich Aurilia, Joe Randa, Felipe Lopez, Wily Mo Pena, Brandon Claussen, Kent Mercker, etc.

Look at those guys and tell me how many of them you still wish were on the team heading into 2007 or 2008. You'd probably want none of them. The point I'm trying to make is that the Reds organization was a ticking time bomb, and Wayne Krivsky arrived just moments before the bomb went off. He cleaned house and got rid of the guys who could have helped in the short term but weren't part of the long-term solution. If DanO or JimBo were still around, so would be a lot of the players named above. Instead of the team being full of older guys with one-year contracts, there is now a group of players who appear to be able to produce at a high level both now and later.
    I'm sorry, but the majority of players you listed aren't good examples of Wayne Krivsky culling chaff. Casey was gone prior to Krivsky's arrival. So was Randa. O'Brien traded both of them, so I hardly see how they'd still be here if O'Brien was. Merker's career ended due to Tommy John surgery. Aurilia was on his way out regardless of who the GM was.

As for the MLB/MLB-ready current "core" of players under 30 who project to really help today and long term who were acquired by Krivsky, we have Brandon Phillips and maybe Jared Burton. The Bronson Arroyo deal worked out for the best, so that's a feather in his cap, but the Kearns/Lopez trade was a disaster of a return. Hitting on Hamilton was good fortune, but did trading him for Edinson Volquez properly cash him in? I have my doubts. And don't think for a second that Krivsky doesn't try to rely on short-term veteran talent. Joe Mays. Rheal Cormier. Mike Stanton. Juan Castro. Chad Moeller. Eddie Guardado. Scott Schoeneweis. Rick White. David Weathers.

The reason the Reds' Pythag hasn't moved since O'Brien's last season is that every time Krivsky takes a bag of trash out to the corner, he brings one back into the house. Right now, the Reds' 2008 Pythag fortunes are almost completely dependent upon performances from players Krivsky didn't draft and didn't acquire. I have exactly enough patience for one more season. If nothing improves, he can go.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'm sorry, but the majority of players you listed aren't good examples of Wayne Krivsky culling chaff. Casey was gone prior to Krivsky's arrival. So was Randa. O'Brien traded both of them, so I hardly see how they'd still be here if O'Brien was. Merker's career ended due to Tommy John surgery. Aurilia was on his way out regardless of who the GM was.

As for the MLB/MLB-ready current "core" of players under 30 who project to really help today and long term who were acquired by Krivsky, we have Brandon Phillips and maybe Jared Burton. The Bronson Arroyo deal worked out for the best, so that's a feather in his cap, but the Kearns/Lopez trade was a disaster of a return. Hitting on Hamilton was good fortune, but did trading him for Edinson Volquez properly cash him in? I have my doubts. And don't think for a second that Krivsky doesn't try to rely on short-term veteran talent. Joe Mays. Rheal Cormier. Mike Stanton. Juan Castro. Chad Moeller. Eddie Guardado. Scott Schoeneweis. Rick White. David Weathers.

The reason the Reds' Pythag hasn't moved since O'Brien's last season is that every time Krivsky takes a bag of trash out to the corner, he brings one back into the house. Right now, the Reds' 2008 Pythag fortunes are almost completely dependent upon performances from players Krivsky didn't draft and didn't acquire. I have exactly enough patience for one more season. If nothing improves, he can go.
    Be sure to get your memo off to Bob C. so he knows to make plans accordingly.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?