Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jason Marquis?

Jason Marquis?

Has anybody considered Jason Marquis as a solution for the 4/5 slots in the rotation?

It's said that he's going to have to compete for a starting job in the Cubs' rotation, despite being an at least league average starter last year.

Jason Marquis:
    1.91.2 IP, 190 H, 22 HR, 76 BB, 109 K. 4.60 ERA

His ERA was just very slightly above average, and his H/IP may have also been above average (don't have the numbers on me...)

So while he may not blow anyone away, he may prove to be a more than capable filler for the back-end until Homer Bailey or Johnny Cueto are fully ready to take those spots. And the fact that he has to compete for a job may mean that the Cubs are not that high on him anymore.

So what do you think? Would you send over some B-prospects to Chicago for Marquis? Or do you not see him as a viable option?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jason Marquis?

I see a good arm with a ten cent head...He just lacks what I want out of a pitcher back of the rotation or not.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I see a good arm with a ten cent head...He just lacks what I want out of a pitcher back of the rotation or not.
    True, but he also showed a marked improvement in his numbers last year from 05. I don't follow Cubs baseball, so I wouldn't know right off hand, but perhaps he's put some things together, now?

He's also entering the prime age for pitchers, as well.

Last year was a bit of a comeback year for Marquis compared to 2006, and his xFIP was still 4.98, a pretty mediocre number for a back of the rotation starter. When you also take into consideration that he makes 16.25 million over the next two years, I would have to say that this is not something the Reds should consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    Last year was a bit of a comeback year for Marquis compared to 2006, and his xFIP was still 4.98, a pretty mediocre number for a back of the rotation starter. When you also take into consideration that he makes 16.25 million over the next two years, I would have to say that this is not something the Reds should consider.
    It may not be ideal...but, 8 mil. a year is not TOO unreasonable for a league average starter these days, which is what Marquis has been for most of his career, especially considering the type of deals guys like Silva have received, or what someone like Lohse will receive.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    It may not be ideal...but, 8 mil. a year is not TOO unreasonable for a league average starter these days, which is what Marquis has been for most of his career, especially considering the type of deals guys like Silva have received, or what someone like Lohse will receive.
    The thing is though, that he is not a league average starter. Since 2004, when he first became a full time starter, his xFIP each season has been 4.12, 4.69, 5.78 and 4.98. He was only an above average starter for one year, and has been below average for three straight years. This would not be a chance I would like the Reds to take.

Belisle is just as good, if not better than Marquis. We also have him for 3-4 years while paying a lot less than 16 mil.
    So in 2009, when we have Harang/Arroyo/Belisle starting. You would rather force 2 of the young pitchers in Volquez/Cueto/Bailey out of the rotation and also pay Marquis 8 mil, rather than take a small risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    The thing is though, that he is not a league average starter. Since 2004, when he first became a full time starter, his xFIP each season has been 4.12, 4.69, 5.78 and 4.98. He was only an above average starter for one year, and has been below average for three straight years. This would not be a chance I would like the Reds to take.
    I can see where you're coming from.

However, out of the stats that you posted, only one of those figures would truly be bad for the rotation (5.78), considering the demand of the slot (4/5) he was pitching from, and who he'd be replacing (relative question marks like Bailey or Cueto, or an aged vet like Lieber.) And, he may also be set to improve, seeing as he is in his late 20's now, the peak age for many pitchers.

But I can completely understand why you personally wouldn't take the risk, though.

I can see where you're coming from.

However, out of the stats that you posted, only one of those figures would truly be bad for the rotation (5.78), considering the demand of the slot (4/5) he was pitching from, and who he'd be replacing (relative question marks like Bailey or Cueto, or an aged vet like Lieber.) And, he may also be set to improve, seeing as he is in his late 20's now, the peak age for many pitchers.

But I can completely understand why you personally wouldn't take the risk, though.
    Do you really think that none of Bailey/Cueto/Volquez would be able to have at least a 5.00 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Belisle is just as good, if not better than Marquis. We also have him for 3-4 years while paying a lot less than 16 mil.
    So in 2009, when we have Harang/Arroyo/Belisle starting. You would rather force 2 of the young pitchers in Volquez/Cueto/Bailey out of the rotation and also pay Marquis 8 mil, rather than take a small risk.
    But in 2008, we do also need someone for the 4/5 slots in the rotation, and it may not be the best idea to count on the young pitchers to fill both. If we had Marquis, we could go with Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Marquis, and one of Volquez, Bailey, or Cueto. Plus if Marquis proves to be dependable, you can then pick one of the two you didn't put in the rotation to pitch out of the pen. And you'd have several trading chips, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Do you really think that none of Bailey/Cueto/Volquez would be able to have at least a 5.00 ERA.
    I think one of them can do it, but I really wouldn't want 2 of them in the rotation posting numbers that would equate to a 5 ERA.

I think one of them can do it, but I really wouldn't want 2 of them in the rotation posting numbers that would equate to a 5 ERA.
    I think Volquez only post's a 4.30ish era. Bailey a 4.20ish and Cueto if he pitches might post a 4.10ish.

I think those are very good indicators of what they will do, I really dont think any of them are destined to bomb.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Recovering Cubs Fan

I know a lot of Cub fans who would be thrilled to see the Cubs dump Marquis on the Reds. He had one great month last season, then was mediocre to flat out bad the rest of the way. No thank you; I'd rather take my chances with the kids.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I was for getting Marquis this time last year but most of you shot that down how would Freel & Stanton for him be? Well what could we trade for Marquis?
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 12-24-2007 at 12:54 AM.

We have a very slim chance to trade either Freel or Stanton. Their is no chance we could move both in the same trade.

Turn Off Ads?