Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Lutz

Derrick Lutz

I noticed that Derrick Lutz was starting to get some support in the prospect poll and I was wondering if anyone has any more info on him. Looking at his stats, I see a guy who has good but not great numbers across the board. I suppose not screwing up is a good thing at this point. OTOH, I don't really see anything that stands out with the possible exception of his HR/9, and that might be a good thing for GABP, but Low A and a good pitching environment like Sarasota make his stats ring a little hollow IMO. The 23 saves last season don't really impress me without some other info to verify their legitimacy. I'm not sure what to make of Lutz based on stats alone and I was wondering if anyone had any type of scouting report on him. What does he throw? How fast is his fastball? Does he have movement? Any info is appreciated.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...rik-Lutz.shtml
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Derrick Lutz

googled Lutz and came up with this

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...m.php?team=CIN

Thanks Icehole.

Lutz becomes even a bigger mystery with that description. Fastball 84 to 87 but was once 94??? Spin average slider with occassional plus potential???? Fastball that had a heavy sink at one time but not so heavy now????

I know this was an old report and describing a time when Lutz had some arm issues. That would imply that when healthy he hits 94 on his fastball with a heavy sink and compliments it with a plus slider. If that profile is true, then his stats are probably an indication of real potential.

Anyone have anything more up to date on Lutz?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/

sinker seems to be sinking. I suspect that he'll make a major league bullpen in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/

sinker seems to be sinking. I suspect that he'll make a major league bullpen in a couple of years.
    I saw this in the Herrera thread and found it interesting.

Prior to June's draft, scouts most often cited five players as the most pronounced college groundball pitchers. With this in mind, I went back before the draft and hand-calculated the Ground Outs/Air Outs (not all batted ball data is publicly-available at the college level) for each, to see how Herrera compared:

GO/AO
    #1 - Danny Ray Herrera (LHP, New Mexico) 2.86
    #2 - Derrick Lutz (RHP, George Washington) 2.23
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

yes, groundball pitchers seem to be a point of emphasis with the Reds

some of those guys might have better numbers as they advance to higher levels/better ballparks/better shortstops. For instance, the guys playing SS behind Lutz this year were Rosales and Valaika, both of which fizzled as shortstops and have already converted to new positions. When they hit AAA, where Paul Janisch will be shortstop for the next several years, it might help

yes, groundball pitchers seem to be a point of emphasis with the Reds

some of those guys might have better numbers as they advance to higher levels/better ballparks/better shortstops. For instance, the guys playing SS behind Lutz this year were Rosales and Valaika, both of which fizzled as shortstops and have already converted to new positions. When they hit AAA, where Paul Janisch will be shortstop for the next several years, it might help

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

He throws a sinker that is a plus pitch any where from 88-93. He could probably get away with throwing all sinkers. His slider is average to above average at time. But while he was at Sarasota he discovered a cutter. Ive personally seen him throw cutters against lefty where they look silly. The pitch has got to be a big league pitch and so is his sinker. He has my vote cause i feel he has the best chance of helping the big league club ASAP, it may not be as a closer but he could help the back end of the bullpen in some kind of 7th or 8th inning capacity.

PS - The kid pitches with a big set of balls

Quote Originally Posted by stormyfan25 View Post
    He throws a sinker that is a plus pitch any where from 88-93. He could probably get away with throwing all sinkers. His slider is average to above average at time. But while he was at Sarasota he discovered a cutter. Ive personally seen him throw cutters against lefty where they look silly. The pitch has got to be a big league pitch and so is his sinker. He has my vote cause i feel he has the best chance of helping the big league club ASAP, it may not be as a closer but he could help the back end of the bullpen in some kind of 7th or 8th inning capacity.

Thanks. Good info.

i forgot to add in my last post. This kid is a horse. He made over 60 appearences in the minor leagues last year. Thats an incredible amount for the minors! He can pitch everyday, that makes him so valueable.

Outstanding post SF25 very good info, much appreciated. It's also very encouraging to here about a guy who we knew very little about.

--Woody Hayes

i forgot to add in my last post. This kid is a horse. He made over 60 appearences in the minor leagues last year. Thats an incredible amount for the minors! He can pitch everyday, that makes him so valueable.
    I like that last part especially. Plus I'm sure he is one of few with that type of repertoire, makes him way more valuable when most everyone else is tossing FB/SL/CV.

--Woody Hayes

im a big fan of this kid. He seems like he has his head on right and knows whats going on. I think we need more sinkers in Cincinnati!

while he was at Sarasota he discovered a cutter. Ive personally seen him throw cutters against lefty where they look silly. The pitch has got to be a big league pitch and so is his sinker.
    I'm intrigued, mostly because the Reds have got to be the single-worst team in baseball at teaching new pitches.

I'm also highly skeptical, knowing the Reds have been the single-worst team in baseball at teaching new pitches. If you ain't got it already, you won't get it here. I still remember how hard batters hit that cutter that Brian Reith "learned".

If the Reds can actually teach pitches, it will mark a change of epic proportions.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I'm intrigued, mostly because the Reds have got to be the single-worst team in baseball at teaching new pitches.

I'm also highly skeptical, knowing the Reds have been the single-worst team in baseball at teaching new pitches. If you ain't got it already, you won't get it here. I still remember how hard batters hit that cutter that Brian Reith "learned".

If the Reds can actually teach pitches, it will mark a change of epic proportions.
    Yeah, lets worry about what instructors couldn't teach in 2001 or 2002 who aren't with the club anymore.

Turn Off Ads?