Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Derrick Lutz

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, lets worry about what instructors couldn't teach in 2001 or 2002 who aren't with the club anymore.
    so far, there's no reason to think that the new Yugo workers won't produce more Yugos, as all of the other "new" Yugo workers have done for 20 freaking years

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,067

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Still the worst analogy I have ever read.

    To think that something 5-10-15-20 'freaking' years ago as you would say, has anything to do with the development of players today is crazy talk. No one is in place from that long ago. Different owner, different GM, different directors, different instructors and different coaches. They were the same uniforms, but thats about it.

  4. #18
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,911

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    so far, there's no reason to think that the new Yugo workers won't produce more Yugos, as all of the other "new" Yugo workers have done for 20 freaking years
    This is such a bad metaphor. It's not just new workers. It's new machinery. It's new materials. It's new supervisors. It's new design. In other words, the only thing that's the same is the name on the front of the factory. Everything else is different.

    Don't get me wrong, the cars might continue to be crap for legitimate reasons, but this inaccurate analogy is is just lazy thinking. "Sure, everything has completely turned over, but if I completely ignore that reality and associate the franchise with a bad car company, I can be pessimistic without having to actually make supporting arguments."

    However these prospects turn out, that will be a result of the particulars of the current prospects, current instructors, current methods, and current decisions. It will have nothing to do with the failures of past prospects. Period. Unless of course you'd like to actually make the argument that some magic karmic energy is at play... In that case, let's just go root for somebody else because the Reds are doomed.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    However these prospects turn out, that will be a result of the particulars of the current prospects, current instructors, current methods, and current decisions. It will have nothing to do with the failures of past prospects. Period.

    we slowly released half of the people and hired cheap replacements lacking good track records. As we've done for 20 freaking years.

  6. #20
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,911

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    we slowly released half of the people and hired cheap replacements lacking good track records. As we've done for 20 freaking years.
    Finally a salient point. I'm not trying to be obtuse. There are legitimate gripes to be made, surely. Let's make them instead of relying on a weak metaphor.

    So what do our evaluators/instructors/coaches/etc. do poorly? I'm curious.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm not trying to be obtuse.


    it takes more than just changes to make a productive system. if anything, changes can cause a real mess

    the Reds changed SDs, and THAT seems to be paying off. Things have obviously improved on the scouting end, even if the first round has been unimpressive so far.

    But the developmental people have generally been the same, or newer unproven people. the situation called for at least one top person with a successful track record. The Reds MIGHT get out of this OK, but until you see what they actually produce, you just won't know. Right now, we're beta-testing this new system, which is probably pretty close to the old system.

  8. #22
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    it takes more than just changes to make a productive system. if anything, changes can cause a real mess

    the Reds changed SDs, and THAT seems to be paying off. Things have obviously improved on the scouting end, even if the first round has been unimpressive so far.

    But the developmental people have generally been the same, or newer unproven people. the situation called for at least one top person with a successful track record. The Reds MIGHT get out of this OK, but until you see what they actually produce, you just won't know. Right now, we're beta-testing this new system, which is probably pretty close to the old system.
    I gotta agree with this, the FO keeps hiring guys who are either unproven or have proven that they know little. Exhibit A: Rookie League pitching coach Tom Browning.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Johnny Cueto learned a circle change two years ago in Spring Training. From a Red employee. (Mario Soto, if memory serves.)

  10. #24
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Derrick Lutz

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Johnny Cueto learned a circle change two years ago in Spring Training. From a Red employee. (Mario Soto, if memory serves.)
    Some aren't too bad, but few if any are excellent and a few are downright laughable. Soto would be one that seems to be getting results when he helps so I would have to consider him solid (at least in teaching the change-up).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25