Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Random tidbit- Austin Kearns

Random tidbit- Austin Kearns

A friend of mine works for the Nationals, and offered this bit of insight: Apparently, Austin is quite unhappy in DC, and has expressed desire privately to return to Cincinnati.

Now, of course we have no need for Kearns, especially with his current contract. I didn't particularly like him or his attitude when he was here, but I thought it would be interesting to pass along.

Could this mean that an extension with Dunn is in the works- and Austin knows the only way he can be reunited with his buddy is to come back to Cincy? Who knows, that's just speculation on my part.

My friend also noted that Bowden would love to acquire KGJ, as they are in desperate need of some "star power" heading into their new stadium. He didn't say that he thought anything would happen on that front, but he did note that Jr. and Ryan Zimmerman went to the Washington Wizards game together last week. Just seems a little odd to me that those two would be hanging out, especially considering Jr. is fifteen years older than Zimmerman.

Anyways, as always take it all with a grain of salt. Just thought it was an interesting tidbit to pass along on this idle Thursday.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random tidbit- Austin Kearns

Griffey for Kearns straight up. Defense in OF improved exponentially and RH Bat adds line-up balance. I would make that deal 100 times out of 100 and be ecstatic if it were possible. I'd give back Majewski and drop the grievance in the same deal as well.

Serious doubts there is anything to it though.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Griffey for Kearns straight up. Defense in OF improved exponentially and RH Bat adds line-up balance. I would make that deal 100 times out of 100 and be ecstatic if it were possible. I'd give back Majewski and drop the grievance in the same deal as well.

Agreed on all counts.

Kearns is a nice average to above average RF. He is disliked by a good portion of this board for some reason, perhaps because he failed to live up to his hype.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I never suggested there were any trade talks or anything of the sort. I was just pointing out that Austin is unhappy and DC, and Bowden would love to have Jr. I seriously doubt whether Krivsky is even aware of any of this, or that he would care even if he knew.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I never suggested there were any trade talks or anything of the sort. I was just pointing out that Austin is unhappy and DC, and Bowden would love to have Jr. I seriously doubt whether Krivsky is even aware of any of this, or that he would care even if he knew.
    I know. I just didn't want some one taking my Christmas wish and running with it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I like Kearns as much as anyone, but I wonder if he's just the type of guy that is never happy. I thought he'd be happy that Washington gave him a starting job and a multiyear deal -- wasn't that his two main gripes in Cincy? Although maybe he doesn't like the fact that Washington brought in two new OF and he's probably on the trading block. I can understand how that is stressful. Knowing the team wants to trade you and then just waiting for it to happen is probably not fun.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Austin Kearns' line outside the unfriendly confines of RFK: .301/.378/.454 vs his anemic .228/.330/.365 in '07 home games.

Likewise, Austin posted robust stats of .292/.401/.482 vs. southpaw pitchers compared to his more middling numbers of .258/.339/.389 against righties.

I would trade Junior for Kearns in a heartbeat, not only to improve our OF defense, but also to strengthen our arsenal against lefties and to save an additional $4 million this summer that could be applied toward pitching.

I suspect Bowden would trade for Jr. in a heartbeat as well -- not only to give his team a bona fide superstar going into the new stadium, but also a solid-gold LH batter to balance the Nationals' right-leaning outfield of Dukes, Milledge and Pena. And who better to mentor and moderate those young rogues than Junior?

The only question: Having cast off Kearns in '06, would Krivsky see any wisdom in returning Austin to the fold in '08? Is Krivsky a pragmatist or a purist? How eager is he to butter Dunn up before negotiating with him on a new long-term contract?

And if a Kearns-Griffey deal is just too tricky for Krivsky to ponder, how about trading Hopper to the Florida Marlins for Cody Ross? There's another swap that makes a lot of sense for both clubs. It wouldn't change our team dynamics as fundamentally, but would still beef up our attack against southpaws without compromising our OF defense or flexibility.

I'd rather they sacrifice no talent and sign Cameron to a 2-year deal. He'll be less expensive and he'll bring more energy to the team.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Krivsky seemed to want no part of Austin Kearns, and Jr won't go to the Nats

I'd like to have Ross back

People would love Kearns if he comes back. That seems to be the pattern with Reds fans. They hate on a guy till he's gone and if he comes back it's all "Welcome home, Son."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Austin Kearns' line outside the unfriendly confines of RFK: .301/.378/.454 vs his anemic .228/.330/.365 in '07 home games.

Likewise, Austin posted robust stats of .292/.401/.482 vs. southpaw pitchers compared to his more middling numbers of .258/.339/.389 against righties.

I would trade Junior for Kearns in a heartbeat, not only to improve our OF defense, but also to strengthen our arsenal against lefties and to save an additional $4 million this summer that could be applied toward pitching.

I suspect Bowden would trade for Jr. in a heartbeat as well -- not only to give his team a bona fide superstar going into the new stadium, but also a solid-gold LH batter to balance the Nationals' right-leaning outfield of Dukes, Milledge and Pena. And who better to mentor and moderate those young rogues than Junior?

The only question: Having cast off Kearns in '06, would Krivsky see any wisdom in returning Austin to the fold in '08? Is Krivsky a pragmatist or a purist? How eager is he to butter Dunn up before negotiating with him on a new long-term contract?

And if a Kearns-Griffey deal is just too tricky for Krivsky to ponder, how about trading Hopper to the Florida Marlins for Cody Ross? There's another swap that makes a lot of sense for both clubs. It wouldn't change our team dynamics as fundamentally, but would still beef up our attack against southpaws without compromising our OF defense or flexibility.
    I like the Kearns for Griffey, but I bet Kriv could get more in return from Bowden. Kearns and someone else. Though their team is littered with below mediocrity, nothing else really strikes me as a good deal. Rausch maybe, but he is a flyball pitcher that could get ugly here. I would take Shawn Hill as a #5 starter. Pitched better on the road actually than at home. SEVERE ground ball pitcher.

Pants loves ex-Reds. Freel, Stanton, Castro & Mejewski for Austin. 4-for-1, how can he resist?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Agreed on all counts.

Kearns is a nice average to above average RF. He is disliked by a good portion of this board for some reason, perhaps because he failed to live up to his hype.
    Disliked? I've never gotten that impression of him here at all - rather the opposite.

Considering the fact he got 500+ AB's in for the first time in 5 seasons last year (and was never anywhere near that in his career prior) and posted a meager .766 OPS, tells me he's overrated and isn't a full-time RF'er.

Would make a nice right handed bat off the bench and/or defensive replacement, but as a full-timer, I don't think he fits (also due to his injury frequency).

He's earned the reputation of an unhappy slacker with a soft body, who gets hurt a lot and has never reached his potential, despite being the great white hope of Lexington and the next "Natural" in the minors after being drafted.

I just don't see the point in wasting anymore time with him if given the chance again - his contract is too prohibitive here.

Of course this would be different if he were posting a .900+ OPS with 500 AB's. Who knows, maybe he'll turn his career around in his latter years.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Pants loves ex-Reds. Freel, Stanton, Castro & Mejewski for Austin. 4-for-1, how can he resist?

Yeah, but he'd have to give up one.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Disliked? I've never gotten that impression of him here at all - rather the opposite.

Considering the fact he got 500+ AB's in for the first time in 5 seasons last year (and was never anywhere near that in his career prior) and posted a meager .766 OPS, tells me he's overrated and isn't a full-time RF'er.
    There is a lot of dislike for him around here, I was part of it, so I know.

Also, not so fast on the .766 OPS last year. Dig deeper and split his home/away stats.

.228/.330/.365 - HOME
    .301/.378/.454 - AWAY

I'll take a full season of that away line. Plus add in 80 games at GABP and his home numbers would be better than the away numbers.

Turn Off Ads?