Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds Made One Move...

If the Reds Made One Move...

I'm sorry if this is a silly thread, but I'm starved for Reds gossip, so humor me here....

If the Reds only made one more move before the start of the season, what would you want it to be ...?

For me, I'd like to see the Reds acquire at least a sturdy #3/4 type guy, either:

1) Package a trade together that only includes 1 or less of the big 4 for a guy like Blanton who can give solid #3 numbers - for example: Maloney, Stubbs, Wood, Lecure for Blanton - maybe even give up a guy like Cueto for Blanton as long as the deal was reasonable ....
    OR
    2) Sign Livan to a 1yr deal at whatever the market rate for him is... my gut is that he wants more than 1 yr., if so then find an "innings eater" type that will at least be a dependable #4 guy to balance out in amongst the youngsters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds Made One Move...

What I want, won't happen.......but here goes.

I'd like to acquire another #1, 2, or 3 starting pitcher for pittance. Good luck. If we could get Blanton for your idea of Maloney, Stubbs, Wood, Lecure.........I think everyone would be jumping for joy!!!! But other GM's aren't that stupid.

Sign Lieber or Hernandez is probably our best bet at this point. Let them eat up innings and hope our bullpen is improved enough to hold leads. Then hope that Cueto and/or Bailey are ready for the big leagues at some point this year, or even sooner.
    Who's on first?

Sign Colon to a deal similar to Priors, just for twice the money. $2 million guaranteed, +$4 million in incentives.

1. Sign Livan Hernandez to a 1-2 year deal. He will give you 200 innings, and keep you in ballgames. I am worried about the HRs though.

Trade Hatteberg for a rh outfielder/1B

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I hear ya Hippie! I'm starved for Reds news too. I'd like to see the Reds acquire Blanton too but w/o it costing anyone in the Big Four as well as not losing the likes of a Matt Maloney.

I would be willing to offer Hatteburg, Freel and a lesser AAA prospect for Blanton. That likely wouldn't net him but I'm so pumped about the Reds and their upcoming talents that patience has gotten hold of me and I'm willing to allow the time (2008) for them to settle in.

Another Elite Free Agent acquisition at this time next year and I believe we will be strongly set at every position except catcher. Adding Herrera to the relief corps and ridding the team of Stanton after 2008 will be a plus that will feature the likes of Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Bray and hopefully Majewski can get straightened out. Having a starting staff of Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Volquez and the additional guys like Belisle, Maloney, Livingston and possibly LeCure bodes very well for a pitching staff with a potential that we Reds fans haven't seen since the 70's offered Gullett, Nolan, Billingham, Grimsley, and for a little while Wayne Simpson.

I think we are in for quite a great run with these Reds beginning in earnest in 2009. Yeah, I'm sticking with patience. No Blanton. Sign a FA like Lieber or Livan Hernandez and CF'er Mike Cameron and let the chips fall where they may for 2008.

I'm starting to think we should keep all of our big-time young guys (Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Cueto, Volquez, Maloney, etc) and just try to get a guy like Joe Blanton on the cheap or sign a FA like Lieber to boost the rotation one last time before the season. IMO, even if we stand pat for the rest of the offseason, we are going to be serious competitors in the NLC in 2008. But 2009 is going to be our real year. If Beane would bite on an offer of Encarnacion, Stubbs, Wood, and a couple other 'spects for Blanton, then I say go for it. You never know, he could be another Harang.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Sign Jon Lieber, Bartolo Colon to a short, incentive laden deal. Sometimes like this:

1st year:
    4 million base
    (150 IP = 1 million, 175 IP = 1 million, 190+ = 2 million)
    (ERA under 4.50 = 1 million, ERA under 4.00 = 2 million)
    * If two of these conditions are met a mutual option for 8 million is created with a buyout of $1 million

Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Matt Belisle
    Jon Lieber
    Bartolo Colon

This allows us to keep our top prospects in AAA for at least the beginning of the year. If our two old vets don't seem to pan out, then we can bring up Bailey, Volquez, Cueto, etc.

If the team is still struggling but our vets are pitching decent, ship them out at the AS break.

Sign Matt Clement to a 1 year deal with a team option. Pending a successful physical of course. Clement is the 3 and Belisle the 4. Winner of spring training competition between Bailey and Volquez is #5.

I think that’s a better rotation then one including both Lieber and Colon, two guys who could be serviceable but do not have a high ceiling.

Is there any pitcher on the market that anyone really thinks could be a 3? Clement really hasnt done much for a couple seasons and rising in age. To me hes just as big of a question mark as anyone.

If I was the reds i would go after a guy with less of a injury track record. Problem is I really dont know who that option is. Livan doesnt have the record of getting hurt and seems like a solid club house guy with a lot of good emotion. He might be ok but still scares me to death when you consider his age and pitching in GABP.

Jason Jennings is about the only #3 capable free agent that I can think of.
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 12-30-2007 at 05:58 AM.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Go back in time and hire a different manager. I still can't believe it happened; it's like 911 all over again.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Sign Matt Clement to a 1 year deal with a team option. Pending a successful physical of course. Clement is the 3 and Belisle the 4. Winner of spring training competition between Bailey and Volquez is #5.

I think that’s a better rotation then one including both Lieber and Colon, two guys who could be serviceable but do not have a high ceiling.
    Clement hasn't done enough lately to really be considered as having a ceiling either.
    Leiber could probably be counted as as the more durable but Colon "if he could be healthy", the better of the two under an incentive plan.

I completely agree that you target Blanton.

Beane is in uber-rebuilding mode, and it's clear he's looking for quantity over quality. So a package of non-elite prospects, or just one of the young starters we have, could do it.

Blanton is as close to a local kid as you can get, and therefore slightly more likely to stick around and sign a decent contract. He's also more of a groundball, innings-eater type.

In short, he's a little bit of perfect for the Reds. Note that he's first year arb eligible and therefore under control til 2010.

Wonder if Volquez and 1-2 younger prospects (Stubbs, etc.) would do it?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post

I think thatís a better rotation then one including both Lieber and Colon, two guys who could be serviceable but do not have a high ceiling.
    The Cardinals are close to signing Clement.

Old Red Guard Reject

Blanton for 4 prospects not including Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez or Votto. Considering Beane's return for Haren (who would have much better value) and, as mentioned, apparently quantity over quality, something like Maloney, Stubbs, Wood, Pelland could be a starting offer.

OR

Hatteberg for a #4/5 type veteran starter, maybe taking on some $$$ to do it.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?