Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What would be your goal with Adam Dunn?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign him to a LTC (understanding that he will make some very nice coin in this deal.)

71 78.02%
  • Have him submit his list of teams and try to trade him.

16 17.58%
  • Let him walk and take the draft picks.

4 4.40%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What would be your goal with Adam Dunn?

What would be your goal with Adam Dunn?

I say re-up the guy for a 5 year deal between 80-90 million. Griffey money is coming off the books. He can be our offensive centerpiece for the next half-decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would be your goal with Adam Dunn?

I'd try to trade him. He's a very good hitter and I acknowledge that his trade value would probably underwhelm, but I'd still do the deal. Take that 15-20 mil a year and diversify.

One person will not make or break success over the next 4-5 years. Getting 2-3 young, talented players and signing 2-3 players/locking up some of the current young crop is a better way to prepare for the future.

At the same time, if the Reds are in the hunt in June and July, go for broke. Even if he leaves via FA, you have to go for it. It's a little contradictmg I know, but I don't really care. I'm greedy.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Please, nobody take number 3.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

I hope they sign him. With Hamilton gone, they no longer have much of a safety net. One option that suddenly looks realistic to me, is they let him walk (or trade him after June 15) and invoke Griffey's option. I don't see the team trying to fill both Griffey's and Dunn's spots after the season. My speculation is that they are trying to sign him and view Griffey as plan B for 2009. I don't think they'll keep both though. I'm guessing they'll need to free some bucks from the payroll to help cover built in raises for 2009 to Harang ($4.25 Million), Cordero ($3.5 Million), Arroyo ($3.05 Million), Gonzalez ($.75 Million), Freel ($1 Million) and arb year driven raises for Phillips, Encarnacion and Belisle.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-30-2007 at 06:00 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I am hoping he remains, as well. The team needs a sure bat for the next few years - and though the likes of Votto and Bruce have potential, potential does not hit worth a darn.
    And, should we trade him right now, it seems very likely prospects are the best we can hope for - and it is doubtful none of those will have the potential as an Adam Dunn.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

As Joni Mitchell once said, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." I think that if you took him out of the Reds lineup in 2007, the lineup would become pathetic. Jay Bruce may have invented the homerun, but I'm not sure he can produce enough to compensate for the losses of both Griffey and Dunn.

With that said, I'd try to reach a five-year deal with Dunn and be open to trading him if/when another prospect (Danny Dorn? Drew Stubbs? Todd Frazier? Chris Heisey?) can push him out of town.

I'd like to see the Reds sign Dunn to a long term contract of between 3 and 5 years. 5 years is absolutely as far out as I'd go, and I'd really prefer a slightly shorter time frame. I really appreciate what Dunn means to the Reds offense, but I also have concerns about how well he will age.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    Please, nobody take number 3.
    You're right. While draft picks are okay, they're not like they are in the NFL or NBA. They are always a roll of the dice and a long way off from helping you. The better value is more often along the trade route. But I'm for the LTC.
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

After '08, take him out for some Montgomery ribs, give him a nice watch and say thanks for the memories.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sign him to a multi-decade contract that includes a personal services contract after he's done playing. Just to make PRose14/Bad Fundamentals even crazier.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

keep.

we can't trace him now. Hamilton is gone. Griffey is (hopefully) gone soon.

In fact, I was suprised the Reds traded Hamilton without signing Dunn to a LTC first.

I didn't vote because what I would do isn't an option on the poll. While I know that he doesn't want to play first base, he is horrible in the field and likely isn't going to get better out there. I would ask him if he would sign a 3-4 year deal around the idea that he plays first base for about 15 million a year. If he isn't cool with that, then I would ask him for his list of teams and have to figure out whether the deal we can get for him is going to be better than the draft picks we would get for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I didn't vote because what I would do isn't an option on the poll. While I know that he doesn't want to play first base, he is horrible in the field and likely isn't going to get better out there. I would ask him if he would sign a 3-4 year deal around the idea that he plays first base for about 15 million a year. If he isn't cool with that, then I would ask him for his list of teams and have to figure out whether the deal we can get for him is going to be better than the draft picks we would get for him.
    This is very logical.

I am thinking along the same line, except I would be more open to trading him before extending his contract. If Wayne can get some solid younger players then Dunn should be gone after June 15th. I am sure WK will get some offers before "shopping" Adam, so he will know what he can get without hurting anyone's feelings. If that return can help Cincy, then take those players and extra money and move ahead.

If the trade returns sound like BS, then start extension talks. If Adam wants more than Cincy can afford, sayonara and get the picks.

Eventually, he has to move to 1B (or DH, if he is in the AL). This is no knock against his defense--I thought he was much better defensively in LF in 2007 than he was in 2006. It has everything to do with genetics. Baseball is littered with VLOFs (Very Large Outfielders) who have made the pilgrimage to 1B (or DH), usually because of knee problems combined with advanced age--Willie McCovey, Willie Stargell, Frank Howard, Dave Kingman, Dave Winfield, Dave Parker, just to name a few. Adam Dunn is the same body type and the same kind of athlete as most of these guys. Eventually, being 6'6" and 275 lbs., he is also going to develop some knee difficulties. I think Dunn is aware that he eventually has to make this move, but he simply wants to put off the trek to 1B/DH for as long as possible, because in his mind, the day he leaves LF for 1B/DH on a regular basis is the day he is no longer a "young ballplayer", and instead officially becomes an "old ballplayer". I think he wants to wait as long as possible for that to happen, at least until he is on the other side of 30.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I just don't think there is any way Dunn signs for 3-4 yr deal for $15M per. Selling your arb years as part of an extension is a lot different than forgoing free agency at the height of your market value.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?