Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shields a Ray for seven more years!

Shields a Ray for seven more years!

Rays secure Shields for the long-term

St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - The Tampa Bay Rays locked up their best young pitcher for the long term Wednesday, signing right-hander James Shields to a seven-year deal reportedly worth close to $44 million.

Shields, who went 12-8 with a 3.85 ERA in 31 starts in 2007, signed what is potentially the longest contract in franchise history prior to a press conference to announce the deal Wednesday afternoon.

The new pact guarantees Shields four years, with the next three years containing separate one-year club options that, if all exercised, would keep the 6-foot-4, 215-pound hurler in a Rays uniform through the 2014 season.

The 26-year old Shields was undefeated in his first 13 starts of 2007 -- 6-0 with a 3.05 ERA -- before going 6-8 over his final 18 outings to complete the season. He tossed a team-high 215 innings, becoming just the third player in Rays history to eclipse the 200-inning mark in a season.

For his two-year major-league career, the Newhall, California native has an 18-16 record with a 4.21 ERA. He has started 52 games since joining the Rays during the 2006 campaign, striking out 288 while walking just 74 and throwing a pair of complete games.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shields a Ray for seven more years!

best young pitcher?
    Go BLUE!!!

looks like an unreal deal for the Rays. If he continues to pitch well they get him on the cheap and if he doesn't they have 3 option years they can walk away from.

WOW! 3 consecutive team options is a coup. Though it's quite a commitment to a guy not even eligible for arbitration yet.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Wow what a great deal for the team.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Wow what a great deal for the team.
    I think it's great for both sides. If you asked Shields at this time last year, he probably would have said he would be ecstatic being guaranteed much, much less than what he got.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    best young pitcher?
    ditto my HUH?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    ditto my HUH?
    Just from looking at their stats I think you can make an argument that Shields is better. It's not absurd anyway. The only thing Kazmir does better is strike people out. Shields has a 5/1 K/BB ratio. Call me back when Kazmir ever approaches that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Great deal on both ends. How'd the Rays manage 3 team options?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Great deal on both ends. How'd the Rays manage 3 team options?
    Frankly, I'm surprised the union isn't putting up a stink about it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Just from looking at their stats I think you can make an argument that Shields is better. It's not absurd anyway. The only thing Kazmir does better is strike people out. Shields has a 5/1 K/BB ratio. Call me back when Kazmir ever approaches that.
    And when Shields has a lower H/9, HR/9, Better K/9, and has put up multiple seasons with a sub 4.00 ERA you can call me too. I don't think looking at their stats that you can remotely make the argument that Shields is better.

Don't get me wrong, Shields is a damn fine pitcher. I wish the Reds had 2 of him, But he was drafted a year before Kaz and made the show 2 years after him for a reason.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-23-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    And when Shields has a lower H/9, HR/9, Better K/9, and has put up multiple seasons with a sub 4.00 ERA you can call me too. I don't think looking at their stats that you can remotely make the argument that Shields is better.

Don't get me wrong, Shields is a damn fine pitcher. I wish the Reds had 2 of him, But he was drafted a year before Kaz and made the show 2 years after him for a reason.
    And Shields had a better OPSA and WHIP. I'm not really making a call one way or another but Kazmir walks a ton of people and has a small frame. I don't think he's as sure bet to be as dominant as I know you think he is over the haul.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Shields also has half as many years in the league, and about half as many starts. Is 2007 the real Shields or is 2006? If you look at their minor league numbers, it isn't even close. Kazmir in a landslide.

It may be a case of pick 'em. But I don't care as much about his frame as a lot of posters do. Oswalt is slight too. I put Kaz in his class of pitcher easily.

Yeah... I do have much man-love for Kazmir.

Time is the Revelator.

That's pretty freaking sweet, to quote Peter Griffin.

Seems to me that the Rays could've helped themselves more by simply biding time with Shields for the next couple of seasons and sinking the money into someone/something else.

Only once in their decade of playing ball has the franchise finished better than dead last in the division - in 2004 they finished 4th at 70-91. That's the only time they've won more than 69 games. It's not like they don't have needs.

I put this in the same category as the deal that the Braves gave Brian McCann a year ago - it's a lot of years and money to tie up in someone who's pretty young and who plays a position that screams injury potential.

Turn Off Ads?