Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Yankees won't re-sign Clemens

Yankees won't re-sign Clemens

Roger Clemens won't be Yankee in 2008

BY ANTHONY McCARRON
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 3rd 2008, 4:00 AM

Is there a chance for the Rocket's third stage in pinstripes? Not likely, says Hank Steinbrenner.

So if embattled righthander Roger Clemens, who is fighting to restore his reputation after the allegations about him in the Mitchell Report, pitches a 25th season, it is probably not going to be in the Bronx.

"I'm not signing Clemens," Steinbrenner, the Yankees' senior vice president, said in a telephone interview yesterday. He said the Yanks are not looking for rotation stopgaps - like they were last season - because they are so enamored of their young starting pitchers. And Steinbrenner feels the Yanks already have a strong mentor to the young arms in Andy Pettitte, whom Steinbrenner praised for his "veteran leadership.

"Andy is (signed) for one year and he's only 35 and he knows how to pitch in the big games," Steinbrenner said. "Roger does, too, but let's face it, he's going to be 46 (in August).

"Pettitte is just as good with the young pitchers, though Clemens was great with the young kids last year. I don't think Roger is going to come back anyway."

The Yankees, like many teams, take very seriously the idea of veterans mentoring young pitchers. Last year, they put Joba Chamberlain's locker next to Clemens' in the clubhouse when Chamberlain was called up.

Clemens' personal trainer, Brian McNamee, accused him of using steroids and human growth hormone in the Mitchell Report, but the seven-time Cy Young Award winner has denied it. He is scheduled to address McNamee's claims in an interview with Mike Wallace on "60 Minutes," slated to air Sunday.

Joe Householder, a spokesman for Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said in an e-mail yesterday that Clemens will hold a press conference Monday afternoon "in or near downtown Houston."

Steinbrenner said he had not spoken to Clemens since the release of the Mitchell Report, but there's a reason for that. "I don't know him, really," Steinbrenner said. "Our paths didn't really cross. Never did."

Clemens has been "unretiring" since 2003, when most thought he waved goodbye to baseball when he came out of his Game4 start in the World Series against the Marlins. It is unclear whether Clemens will attempt to play next season, although there have been reports that say the Rocket will consider it. One of Clemens' agents, Randy Hendricks, did not return an e-mail yesterday seeking comment on his client's playing plans.

Since that 2003 Series start, Clemens pitched three seasons for the Astros and was 6-6 with a 4.18 ERA last year for the Yankees, who after being desperate for starting pitching, gave him a prorated $28million contract last season. He signed May 6 and made his first start in the majors on June9.

But he proved fragile, too. He lasted 2-1/3 innings in his Game3 start in the division series against the Indians because his left hamstring locked up. Groin issues delayed his first big-league outing and he started only twice in September because of an elbow problem, blisters on his right foot and a strained left hamstring.

Asked after his playoff start if he took a moment to consider that it might be his last game, Clemens curtly said, "No."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Yankees won't re-sign Clemens

Maybe he'll go back to Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Maybe he'll go back to Boston
    I don't think he will now. Didn't Schilling make some comments about him doping? Plus, they don't need him. That's money that can be spent elsewhere.

He was born in Kettering. Maybe he will return to his roots and pitch for us.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

He'll either go to the Astros and dominate or retire. No team in the Al, except maybe the Rangers would have much intrest. His pricetag is way too high.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

His family lived in Butler Township, which is north Dayton and part of the Vandalia-Butler School District. I grew up with guys who knew him, though he was about 4-5years ahead of my time. They used to all go ride dirtbikes in the fields behind the plat that we all lived in, Imperial Hills.

Rumor has it in Vandalia that he didn't make the HS team as a Freshman, and he was so pissed, he swore he would never admit he was from Dayton. His family moved to Texas later that year. Funny thing is that the coach then was the coach for the next 15 years at least.

Don't know how much of it all is true, because I was too young. But the guys that told me stories didn't really think he was all that and a bag a chips anyway, so I don't see why they would lie. Just makes me laugh thinking about him crying, because he didn't make the VBHS team. Especially now.

Yeah, they said they wouldnt sign Arod back either, and we see where that ended up at. Dont take the Yanks serious.

As much as it would be nice to have The Rocket for us, I really don't see it happening. Mostly because of the money he wants.
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?