Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Cardinals close to signing Matt Clement

Rumor: Cardinals close to signing Matt Clement

December 26, 2007
    Rumor Mill: Winter of our dis-Clement

Apparently the Cardinals are close to making former Padres, Marlins, Cubs and Red Sox hurler Matt Clement the new Kip Wells.

A lifetime 87-86 pitcher with a 4.47 ERA, Clement didn't give up a single hit or run in 2007. That's entirely because he was out the entire season following shoulder surgery.

The Cardinals think they can rebuild Clement and revitalize his career. You know the words to that tune, so everybody sing along!

Supposing Chris Carpenter, Mark Mulder and Matt Clement all return to their pre-injury form and make up the top of the Cardinals rotation in 2009. How many people will pass out at Busch Stadium every time one of them throws a pitch, holding their breath in fear that the pitcher du jour's surgically repaired arm will fall off?

In all seriousness, Clement was 10-2 with a 3.85 ERA in the first half of the season in 2005 before things started to go south. He finished the year by going 3-4 in the second half with a 5.72 ERA.

It will be interesting to see what dave Duncan can do with Matt Clement.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor: Cardinals close to signing Matt Clement

I think hes damage goods in more than 1 way. I think that ball off his melon ruined him more than the injuries.

Pirates Notes: Thrilled with Garcia
    ADVERTISEMENT
    By John Perrotto, Times Sports Staff
    Published: Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:27 AM EST

RUMORS AND RUMBLINGS

l It appears most likely free-agent pitcher Matt Clement, who missed last season with Boston after undergoing shoulder surgery, will sign with either the Pirates or Cleveland. He wants to stay close to the new home he built in Butler this year.

Clement is hopeful of landing a major-league contract, something Pittsburgh doesn’t seem willing to offer.

l Could it be Kris Benson redux with the Pirates? They were one of nearly a dozen teams that scouted his workout before Christmas. Like Clement, Benson is a free agent after missing last season while recovering from shoulder surgery.

Another couple of possibilities is Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It might be Cleveland because they would give him a better contract, and he would be close to his new home in Butler.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Supposing Chris Carpenter, Mark Mulder and Matt Clement all return to their pre-injury form and make up the top of the Cardinals rotation in 2009.
    I think you'd have better chance at this week's Mega Millions. Clement is the highest risk of all the FA pitchers IMO since he hasn't pitched in 1.5 years and is 33. Not a whole lot of promise there.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I think you'd have better chance at this week's Mega Millions. Clement is the highest risk of all the FA pitchers IMO since he hasn't pitched in 1.5 years and is 33. Not a whole lot of promise there.
    Dave Duncan has had a good history of helping out pitchers with bad arms or coming back from injury, but I agree he has his work cut out with Matt Clement.

Pirates Notes: Thrilled with Garcia
    ADVERTISEMENT
    By John Perrotto, Times Sports Staff
    Published: Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:27 AM EST

RUMORS AND RUMBLINGS

l It appears most likely free-agent pitcher Matt Clement, who missed last season with Boston after undergoing shoulder surgery, will sign with either the Pirates or Cleveland. He wants to stay close to the new home he built in Butler this year.

Clement is hopeful of landing a major-league contract, something Pittsburgh doesn’t seem willing to offer.

l Could it be Kris Benson redux with the Pirates? They were one of nearly a dozen teams that scouted his workout before Christmas. Like Clement, Benson is a free agent after missing last season while recovering from shoulder surgery.

Another couple of possibilities is Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It might be Cleveland because they would give him a better contract, and he would be close to his new home in Butler.

I believe it is Butler, PA where his house is built not Butler, OH. Hes from PA and also I have a friend who lives in Butler and all she knows is that a major league player comes into her store a lot and his name is Matt and hes a pitcher who was hurt most of last year. Ill have her check into it just to clarify the reports a little.
    Last edited by Shaknb8k; 12-30-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Seems about right for the cardinals...they always seem to get Cubs leftovers

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    I believe it is Butler, PA where his house is built not Butler, OH. Hes from PA and also I have a friend who lives in Butler and all she knows is that a major league player comes into her store a lot and his name is Matt and hes a pitcher who was hurt most of last year. Ill have her check into it just to clarify the reports a little.
    John Perrotto believes Clement is leaning towards the Pirates or Indians, partly because of a new home he built in Butler, PA (same place he was born).

That would seem to indicate you are right.

FROM 12-30-07 at 12:26pm: John Perrotto believes Clement is leaning towards the Pirates or Indians, partly because of a new home he built in Butler, PA (same place he was born).
    Why aren't we in on this?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Why aren't we in on this?
    With the questions surrounding him, we are better off focusing elsewhere.
    I will say it like this. I feel the reds right now are ahead of the Cards.
    If cards sign Clement, I would still feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    With the questions surrounding him, we are better off focusing elsewhere.
    I will say it like this. I feel the reds right now are ahead of the Cards.
    If cards sign Clement, I would still feel that way.
    I'd still like to see us go after Clement IF it isn't too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I'd still like to see us go after Clement IF it isn't too much.
    I don't think we should go after Clement. I think Clement, Prior, & Wood's best days are behind them. Is it a little funny that these guys are wasted and Dusty was their skipper or is it me?
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    I think Clement, Prior, & Wood's best days are behind them. Is it a little funny that these guys are wasted and Dusty was their skipper or is it me?
    It's you......................(hopefully)

December 31, 2007
    Swashbuckled?

Reportedly interested in signing with the Cardinals a few days ago, Matt Clement has apparently balked at the prospect of taking a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. He is said to have decided that, if he can't get a guaranteed deal elsewhere, he'd just as soon pitch for a team close to his western Pennsylvania home: The Pirates or the Indians...

It's one thing when the Cardinals can't convince players to come to St. Louis over offers from the Yankees or the Red Sox. But when players decide that, all other things being equal, they would rather play for the Pirates... Well, you've got problems, mister.

It's hard to believe that, as things appear right now, the Cardinals will start 2008 with a worse starting rotation than the one that completed the 2007 season.

Wainwright and Pineiro will be holdovers. Looper, according to the Cardinals at the end of last season, was a candidate to be sent back to the bullpen. Now the team can't afford to lose him from the starting five. Mulder is probably going to miss a month at the very least. And Kip Wells' spot still is vacant. So it looks like Anthony Reyes will spend another season butting heads with Dave Duncan and Tony La Russa while Brad Thompson and Todd Wellemeyer will fight it out for the fifth slot until Mulder returns... If he returns. Chris Carpenter is so far off in the distance that it's best not to even dream about his return before it's all over but the crying.

We've all heard the excuses: There's no one the team likes available on the free agent market. We don't have anything in the farm system anyone wants in return for pitching. But, after promises that the franchise would be aggressive, it's an insult to the fans that this club's leadership has done nothing to address glaring needs. Whose fault is it that the team was allowed to degenerate into this predicament? And since when does showering the paying customers with praise as baseball's best fans absolve the team of making any effort to be competitive?

Back in the Walt Jocketty glory days, you could always hope that there was one big trick up the old master's sleeve. But it appears that not only does this edition of the Cardinals have nothing cooking, it has nothing in the pantry and no intention of heading off to the grocery store anytime soon.

It is pretty bad when the Cardinals can't get a pitcher like Clement to sign a minor league deal.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

December 31, 2007
    Swashbuckled?

Reportedly interested in signing with the Cardinals a few days ago, Matt Clement has apparently balked at the prospect of taking a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. He is said to have decided that, if he can't get a guaranteed deal elsewhere, he'd just as soon pitch for a team close to his western Pennsylvania home: The Pirates or the Indians...

It's one thing when the Cardinals can't convince players to come to St. Louis over offers from the Yankees or the Red Sox. But when players decide that, all other things being equal, they would rather play for the Pirates... Well, you've got problems, mister.

It's hard to believe that, as things appear right now, the Cardinals will start 2008 with a worse starting rotation than the one that completed the 2007 season.

Wainwright and Pineiro will be holdovers. Looper, according to the Cardinals at the end of last season, was a candidate to be sent back to the bullpen. Now the team can't afford to lose him from the starting five. Mulder is probably going to miss a month at the very least. And Kip Wells' spot still is vacant. So it looks like Anthony Reyes will spend another season butting heads with Dave Duncan and Tony La Russa while Brad Thompson and Todd Wellemeyer will fight it out for the fifth slot until Mulder returns... If he returns. Chris Carpenter is so far off in the distance that it's best not to even dream about his return before it's all over but the crying.

We've all heard the excuses: There's no one the team likes available on the free agent market. We don't have anything in the farm system anyone wants in return for pitching. But, after promises that the franchise would be aggressive, it's an insult to the fans that this club's leadership has done nothing to address glaring needs. Whose fault is it that the team was allowed to degenerate into this predicament? And since when does showering the paying customers with praise as baseball's best fans absolve the team of making any effort to be competitive?

Back in the Walt Jocketty glory days, you could always hope that there was one big trick up the old master's sleeve. But it appears that not only does this edition of the Cardinals have nothing cooking, it has nothing in the pantry and no intention of heading off to the grocery store anytime soon.

It is pretty bad when the Cardinals can't get a pitcher like Clement to sign a minor league deal.

I feel like a bad person for enjoying it so much.

Turn Off Ads?