Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Bengals to Draft Ninth

Not sure if this is new news, but Bengals fared best out of logjam of 7-9 teams.

From the Enquirer site:

By virtue of their weak schedule, the Bengals will draft ninth in April, the NFL announced this afternoon.

The Bengals were one of seven teams to finish 7-9, but they were the worst of the 7-9 teams based on their strength of schedule. Bengals opponents had a winning percentage of .461 with a composite 118-138 record.

No. 9 is the highest the Bengals have drafted in five seasons that Marvin Lewis has overseen as head coach.

They were first overall in the 2003 draft (Carson Palmer) as the result of compiling the NFL's worst record, 2-14, in Dick LeBeau's last season as coach.

Under Lewis, the Bengals have earned the Nos. 17 (traded down twice to No. 26, 2004), 17, 24 and 18 picks in the past four years.

Besides Palmer, the Bengals have drafted running back Chris Perry, linebacker David Pollack and cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall under Lewis’ direction.

posted by Mark at 1:46 PM 0 comments

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Nice!!

I guess.

Under the circumstances.

Talking to yourself there WIly Mo?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Talking to yourself there WIly Mo?

You've got to be at least a little crazy to be a Bengals fan.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

You've got to be at least a little crazy to be a Bengals fan.
    Agreed.

If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Good to see Patriots picking 7th, they need the help.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Good to see Patriots picking 7th, they need the help.
    Hopefully they'll be able to find that one player that will put them over the hump.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Hopefully they'll be able to find that one player that will put them over the hump.
    Call me sick, but I'm actually hoping that they end up picking up a problem child who ends up getting arrested a few times, just so some other team can deal with that stigma for a change.

I hear the Patriots are looking at the top videographer out of the UCLA drama department :

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Besides Palmer, the Bengals have drafted running back Chris Perry, linebacker David Pollack and cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall under Lewis’ direction.
    Ah Chris Perry, the gift that keeps on giving (nothing).

Pollack is an unfortunate situation, so we'll never know his potential.

Jospeh and Hall are still works in progress, but an attempt to address a blatant need/deficiency.

Unfortunately my crystal ball for the Bengals' options with the 9th pick doesn't yield an impact player that will magically help this pathetic franchise. Conversely, I don't see any such unicorn in this coming draft, so all teams are in the same boat.

The best thing that could happen for the Bengals is for Mike Brown to cease to exist. I just blame him for all the Bengals' woes, as well as drafting Chris Perry. I don't know if that's fair or not, but at this point I could care less. Every year goes by and it just reinforces how horrible that pick truly was.

Who are we going to draft?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Who are we going to draft?
    While I wish we could get either Dorsey or Long (Howie's son) and they could significantly help us, I think we'll end up doing something criminally stupid and taking someone like Keith Rivers (USC LB), Ali Highsmith (LSU LB), Quentin Groves (Auburn DE), Leodis McKelvin (Troy CB) or Limas Sweed (Texas WR).

Guys that project between the 6th and 12th picks are as follows, as of 1/1/08 according to MKJr.

Dan Connor - Penn State LB
    Kentwan Balmer - North Carolina DT
    Mike Jenkins - South Florida CB
    Sam Baker - USC OT
    Chris Williams - Vanderbilt OT
    Keith Rivers - USC LB
    Tracy Porter - Indiana CB

Connor is the only one out of that group that I remotely like, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Patriots @ 7, due to the fact they'll eventually have to start replacing their Senior Citizen LBs.

Seems to me, as much as we need help on the d-line, we needs LBers even more.

Turn Off Ads?