Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Re: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Just for @#$%'@ and giggles, what would the Bengals have to relinquish to get Miami's draft pick?
    If it were me, Chad Johnson plus a swap of first round picks for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If I had to do a mock(simulation coin flip included) before the Bengals pick, this would be it:

1.Miami:Glenn Dorsey
    2.St Louis:Jake Long
    3.Atlantaarren McFadden
    4.Oakland:Chris Long
    5.Kansas City:Matt Ryan
    6.New York:Chris Long
    7.New England:James Laurianitis
    8.Baltimore:Brian Brohm

I'm starting to like Keith Rivers the more and more I read. That being said, Miami is the real wild card, because Parcells likes to wheel and deal during the draft and Miami has a lot of needs. Take your pick.

I completely agree that The Animal, Jr. would look very enticing to the Pats @ 7, since I think all but 1 member of their LB group collects Social Security.

That being said, I hope they somehow overlook him, or draft for a different need and he falls to us @ 9.

If it were me, Chad Johnson plus a swap of first round picks for starters.
    Wrong Johnson.

Keep Chad, send Rudi.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Wrong Johnson.

Keep Chad, send Rudi.
    Disagree.

Rudi has very little value right now. He is 28(which is about the time RB's go downhill) and is starting to show signs of age. He may possibly be cut in favor of the Kenny's in the offseason.

Chad is starting to reach the age plateau as well. I have to believe that he is one that Marvin pointed out as being concerned more about statistics than winning games, plus his altercations with Palmer make this doable.

The Dolphins need somebody who will provide some marketability for the franchise. Take Chad and pair him up to groom Ginn and draft Andre Woodson with the 9th pick.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Disagree.

Rudi has very little value right now. He is 28(which is about the time RB's go downhill) and is starting to show signs of age. He may possibly be cut in favor of the Kenny's in the offseason.

Chad is starting to reach the age plateau as well. I have to believe that he is one that Marvin pointed out as being concerned more about statistics than winning games, plus his altercations with Palmer make this doable.

The Dolphins need somebody who will provide some marketability for the franchise. Take Chad and pair him up to groom Ginn and draft Andre Woodson with the 9th pick.
    I agree that Rudi has very little value right now, but Carson will need someone to throw to, and I'd rather it be Chad than Housz or Henry or someone we draft. Actually, now that I think about Housz, send him packing along with Rudi. Attempt to maximize return on investment. Get something for Rudi. If that means moving Housz along with Rudi to gain another 1st Rounder, then do it.

Chad would instantly put a face on the Dolphin franchise, alongside Jason Taylor, but giving up Chad isn't worth the #1 overall pick for the Bengals due to the lack of an immediate impact player in the draft. If the draft was better then maybe, just maybe, you move Chad and attempt to gain another 1st Round Draft Pick, but moving Chad just to swap 1st Round Draft Picks with the Dolphins and gain 8 spots doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Trading Chad in order to move up 8 spots is absurd.

I'm not opposed to trading Chad, but do it for multiple picks. Like a 2nd and 3rd.

HLman: Have you not seen extensive tape of Glenn Dorsey? Look up impact player in the dictionary and you'd see a picture of him.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Trading Chad in order to move up 8 spots is absurd.

I'm not opposed to trading Chad, but do it for multiple picks. Like a 2nd and 3rd.
    What about Chad and our first rounder for #1 and their 3rd rounder?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    What about Chad and our first rounder for #1 and their 3rd rounder?
    I don't see why that would make sense. Is Dorsey really THAT much better than a front 7 player the Bengals will be able to take at 9, and with the extra picks in rounds 2 and 3? I doubt it.

Trading Chad would signal a rebuilding process, which is what the team really needs. Gain as many picks as possible, add them with the young secondary, and guide them into being a good unit. After next year is when you start looking at FAs.

Of course, with Mike Brown in charge the FA market isn't an option, but I still think a rebuild is the way to go. I'd trade TJ too, if it lead to a couple more first day picks. If done correctly, a rebuild in the NFL can be done in a year, two tops.

I guess though, your deal could work if they took McFadden and traded TJ as well. Build a stud running game and a good defense, and Palmer could succeed with you and I at WR. That should be the last position the Bengals stockpile.
    Last edited by guttle11; 01-03-2008 at 05:35 PM.

I threw that out because I read on some blog somewhere Chad could likely be had for a 3rd rounder.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I don't see why that would make sense. Is Dorsey really THAT much better than a front 7 player the Bengals will be able to take at 9, and with the extra picks in rounds 2 and 3? I doubt it.

Trading Chad would signal a rebuilding process, which is what the team really needs. Gain as many picks as possible, add them with the young secondary, and guide them into being a good unit. After next year is when you start looking at FAs.

Of course, with Mike Brown in charge the FA market isn't an option, but I still think a rebuild is the way to go. I'd trade TJ too, if it lead to a couple more first day picks. If done correctly, a rebuild in the NFL can be done in a year, two tops.

I guess though, your deal could work if they took McFadden and traded TJ as well. Build a stud running game and a good defense, and Palmer could succeed with you and I at WR. That should be the last position the Bengals stockpile.
    Wow, the Bengals should start to rebuilding? I know everybody is really down about the team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Fact of the matter, we have an All Pro QB, two All Pro WRs and a very solid O-Line all about to enter the prime of their careers.

And yes, we have issues on defense, but fixing the front seven (where the issues lay) isn't as such a daunting task as everybody seems. We SHOULD get two starters for the front seven in this years draft and if we just sign a quality free agent at LB or DL, we'll see a drastic improvement, mark my words. All the Bengals need to do is shore up and retool, not rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Wow, the Bengals should start to rebuilding? I know everybody is really down about the team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Fact of the matter, we have an All Pro QB, two All Pro WRs and a very solid O-Line all about to enter the prime of their careers.

And yes, we have issues on defense, but fixing the front seven (where the issues lay) isn't as such a daunting task as everybody seems. We SHOULD get two starters for the front seven in this years draft and if we just sign a quality free agent at LB or DL, we'll see a drastic improvement, mark my words. All the Bengals need to do is shore up and retool, not rebuild.
    Spot on analysis Ox! It's what I think as well.

However we may need more than 1 DLman and 1 LB, but that's certainly the minimum IMO.

Justin Smith, Brian Robinson, Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller are all UFA's to be. I'm not so sure they re-sign any of them.

That Leaves a starting unit of:

Rucker/Fanene - Peko - Thornton - Geathers

Marshall - Brooks - Jeanty

Laurainitis and Gholston seem like the most likely candidates in that order with Ellis being the wildcard.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I threw that out because I read on some blog somewhere Chad could likely be had for a 3rd rounder.
    It amazes me how little NFL teams value current players as compared to draft picks. Randy Moss (he of the single season receiving TD record) was acquired for a 4th round pick this year. For comparison's sake, here are some recent Bengal 3rd round picks:

2007 - Marvin White
    2006 - Frostee Rucker
    2005 - Chris Henry
    2004 - Caleb Miller
    2004 - Landon Johnson
    2003 - Kelley Washington
    2002 - Matt Schobel
    2001 - Sean Brewer
    2000 - Ron Dugans

That isn't the most imposing list. In fact three of those guys were Chad Johnson's backups over the years. Yet I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd round pick is what they got. That's why it's such a terrible idea to trade him.

If folks are gonna rag on Mike Brown, quit using strawmen. The Bengals opted to pay some pretty hefty contracts to hold on to some core guys like Rudi, TJ, Willie, Levi, gave generous extensions to Chad and Palmer instead of bringing in pricey free agents that rarely provide value. Don't forget they almost had Sapp in a big contract before Oakland stepped in (thank you Raiders as it turned out). I think if there is a gotta have free agent, Marvin will get the money.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    If folks are gonna rag on Mike Brown, quit using strawmen. The Bengals opted to pay some pretty hefty contracts to hold on to some core guys like Rudi, TJ, Willie, Levi, gave generous extensions to Chad and Palmer instead of bringing in pricey free agents that rarely provide value. Don't forget they almost had Sapp in a big contract before Oakland stepped in (thank you Raiders as it turned out). I think if there is a gotta have free agent, Marvin will get the money.
    This could be the year for it, but its a matter of how much do you want to pay?

Albert Haynesworth, Terrell Suggs, and Lance Briggs, among others.

Turn Off Ads?