Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Re: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Wow, the Bengals should start to rebuilding? I know everybody is really down about the team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Fact of the matter, we have an All Pro QB, two All Pro WRs and a very solid O-Line all about to enter the prime of their careers.

And yes, we have issues on defense, but fixing the front seven (where the issues lay) isn't as such a daunting task as everybody seems. We SHOULD get two starters for the front seven in this years draft and if we just sign a quality free agent at LB or DL, we'll see a drastic improvement, mark my words. All the Bengals need to do is shore up and retool, not rebuild.
    I hope you're right. I just don't see it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't see Haynesworth and Suggs not being resigned by their clubs. Infact, I'd go on record to say that there will only be a few worthwhile FAs actually on the market this offseason. Just goes to show you how vital the draft is how bad drafts really hurt you in the long haul (2005).

Rex Ryan and bring along Suggs please and switch to the 3-4

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Rex Ryan and bring along Suggs please and switch to the 3-4
    Sadly, I'd be pretty happy with just one of those happening. All 3 would be great, but I doubt any happen.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    HLman: Have you not seen extensive tape of Glenn Dorsey? Look up impact player in the dictionary and you'd see a picture of him.
    I've seen him, and I'll see more of him stop the Buckeyes' running game in the NC, and while I think he's the consensus best player available as of right now, I wouldn't list him as an impact player. I guess I've never thought of DTs as impact players.

I thought Tommie Harris was great in college and thought he'd have a good pro career, but I still wouldn't call him an impact player, and I think he's better than Glenn Dorsey.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wasn't Haynesworth all ready re-signed recently? I swear I read that somewhere.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Wouldn't Haynesworth be considered a bad character move? I think that would signify the bengals looking more towards winning than looking at high character guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I've seen him, and I'll see more of him stop the Buckeyes' running game in the NC, and while I think he's the consensus best player available as of right now, I wouldn't list him as an impact player. I guess I've never thought of DTs as impact players.

I thought Tommie Harris was great in college and thought he'd have a good pro career, but I still wouldn't call him an impact player, and I think he's better than Glenn Dorsey.
    Dorsey worries me that his body might not be up for his weight.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Wasn't Haynesworth all ready re-signed recently? I swear I read that somewhere.
    He is a free agent and hasnt been resigned but there is no way he isnt franchised unless they totally think hes worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Sadly, I'd be pretty happy with just one of those happening. All 3 would be great, but I doubt any happen.
    Of course we will be lucky if one of those 3 happens. We are talking about the bengals

I agree, especially as rookies, a DT is rarely exemplary.
    Draft a LB, sign a better lineman than Smith and go back to the playoffs.

I'm all for not re-signing any of the UFA's. Landon would be the only one I would think twice about, but he's from Purdue, and I hate having to cheer for Boilermakers, past or present.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

With the 9th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select University of Michigan running back Mike Hart!

Just a little Bengals humor..... I hope

Ah Chris Perry, the gift that keeps on giving (nothing).

Pollack is an unfortunate situation, so we'll never know his potential.

Jospeh and Hall are still works in progress, but an attempt to address a blatant need/deficiency.

Unfortunately my crystal ball for the Bengals' options with the 9th pick doesn't yield an impact player that will magically help this pathetic franchise. Conversely, I don't see any such unicorn in this coming draft, so all teams are in the same boat.

The best thing that could happen for the Bengals is for Mike Brown to cease to exist. I just blame him for all the Bengals' woes, as well as drafting Chris Perry. I don't know if that's fair or not, but at this point I could care less. Every year goes by and it just reinforces how horrible that pick truly was.

Senor Votto

Another mock draft:

1. Miami (1-15)
    The Pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    The Buzz: Dorsey is a dominant inside force who will impress Bill Parcells on film.
    2. St. Louis (3-13)
    The Pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    The Buzz: The Rams defense needs a playmaker up front.
    x - 3. Atlanta (4-12)
    The Pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    The Buzz: The Falcons must rebuild their offense, and the start with the most important position.
    x - 4. Oakland (4-12)
    The Pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas*
    The Buzz: The Raiders' Al Davis never passes on the chance for a superstar.
    x - 5. Kansas City (4-12)
    The Pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
    The Buzz:The Chiefs are a total offensive disaster, and the quarterback spot is their highest priority.
    6. N.Y. Jets (4-12)
    The Pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    The Buzz: The Jets want to land a blue-chip offensive lineman, and Long is a fine bookend tackle.
    7. New England (From San Francisco (5-11))
    The Pick: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State*
    The Buzz: The Pats are looking for an impact player to add to their aging linebacker unit.
    8. Baltimore (5-11)
    The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State*
    The Buzz: The Ravens may draft into deep offensive tackle class this spring to replace Jonathan Ogden, who probably retires.
    9. Cincinnati (7-9)
    The Pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern Cal
    The Buzz: The Bengals defense gives up too many big plays and needs a leader and anchor in the middle.

10. New Orleans (7-9)
    The Pick: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State*
    The Buzz: The Saints defense gets smoked weekly, and Jenkins looks like the No. 1 cornerback in this class.
    11. Buffalo (7-9)
    The Pick: Early Doucet, WR, LSU
    The Buzz: The Bills wants more playmakers to help their young passers develop further.
    12. Denver (7-9)
    The Pick: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss*
    The Buzz: The Broncos offensive line must improve for QB Jay Cutler to take the next step as an NFL starter.
    13. Carolina (7-9)
    The Pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC
    The Buzz: The Panthers linebacking corps would benefit from another strong defender.
    14. Chicago (7-9)
    The Pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky
    The Buzz: The Bears are hoping for a chance at a future offensive leader in the first round.
    15. Detroit (7-9)
    The Pick: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State*
    The Buzz: The Lions must improve their outside pass rush to be a playoff contender.
    16. Arizona (8-8)
    The Pick: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
    The Buzz: The Cardinals' defensive line must improve for this unit to move up to playoff level.
    17. Minnesota (8-8)
    The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*
    The Buzz:The Vikings are looking to continue to build a playoff caliber defense - especially in the secondary.
    18. Houston (8-8)
    The Pick: DeSean Jackson, WR, California *
    The Buzz: The Texans are looking to add a young playmaker on the outside.
    19. Philadelphia (8-8)
    The Pick: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
    The Buzz: The Eagles are looking to solidify their front seven on defense.
    y - 20. Tampa Bay (9-7)
    The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
    The Buzz: The Bucs hope to return to defensive prominence, and the secondary needs help.
    y - 21. Washington (9-7)
    The Pick: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*
    The Buzz: Joe Gibbs needs a big-time pass rusher for his front four.
    22. Dallas (from Cleveland (10-6))
    The Pick: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma*
    The Buzz: The Cowboys need to address problems on the corner, and Smith is a highly regarded defensive back.
    y - 23. Seattle (10-6)
    The Pick: Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia*
    The Buzz: The Seahawks are looking for an impact playmaker out of the backfield.
    y - 24. Pittsburgh (10-6)
    The Pick: Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State *
    The Buzz: The Steelers plan to address their offensive line early in the draft.
    y - 25. Tennessee (10-6)
    The Pick: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*
    The Buzz: The Titans are lacking playmakers in the passing game.
    y - 26. NY Giants (10-6)
    The Pick: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas*
    The Buzz: Big Blue defense needs a top-flight cover man opposite rookie Aaron Ross.
    y - 27. San Diego (11-5)
    The Pick: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU*
    The Buzz: The Chargers are looking to fortify their front three, and this defender fills the role.
    y - 28. Jacksonville (11-5)
    The Pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
    The Buzz: The Jaguars are looking to stretch the field with a blue-chip receiver.
    y - 29. Green Bay (13-3)
    The Pick: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech*
    The Buzz: The Packers will look to improve their secondary early this April.
    y - 30. Dallas (13-3)
    The Pick: James Hardy, WR, Indiana*
    The Buzz:The Cowboys' passing game needs another playmaker to continue to rank among the elite.
    y - 31. San Francisco (From Indianapolis (13-3))
    The Pick: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*
    The Buzz: The 49ers offense needs another playmaker, and Mendenhall is a fast-rising prospect.
    y - 32. New England (16-0)
    The Pick: no pick
    The Buzz: Pick forfeited.

It's not just a matter of improving the talent on this Bengals team, it's a matter of improving the culture, and the character, of that locker room. And that, my friend, is easier said than done.

I have no confidence whatsoever in this ownership to turn things around. Sooner or later, with no GM, and virtually no scouts, Marvin Lewis is going to jump ship and flee to a place where he can succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Wow, the Bengals should start to rebuilding? I know everybody is really down about the team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Fact of the matter, we have an All Pro QB, two All Pro WRs and a very solid O-Line all about to enter the prime of their careers.

And yes, we have issues on defense, but fixing the front seven (where the issues lay) isn't as such a daunting task as everybody seems. We SHOULD get two starters for the front seven in this years draft and if we just sign a quality free agent at LB or DL, we'll see a drastic improvement, mark my words. All the Bengals need to do is shore up and retool, not rebuild.

Man, 4 underclass Buckeyes in the 1st round in that mock. I'm sure glad Tressel has this program reloading every year. Last year OSU lost Ginn, Gonzalez, and Pittman early and look to lose 4 more juniors this year.

As far as the Bengals go, I'd be happy with Ellis or Gholston. If by some miracle the Bengals could sign Haynesworth, they could draft Gholston and switch to a 3-4 with Peko and Haynesworth in the middle and Gholston and Geathers playing between DE and OLB.

Turn Off Ads?