Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Re: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Sedrick Ellis the DT from USC seems to be the early consensus amongst mock draft 'experts' for the Bengals at 9.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What's a good website for mock drafts?
    www.hailredskins.com

As far as the Perry pick goes, MWM made a good point about Steven Jackson, but at the time, we had Rudi who had emerged and they wanted a complimentary back, not somebody who would have dominated the carries.

I would have been happy with Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson, but I think the one player the Bengals really missed out on as much as I hate to admit it is Chris Gamble. At the time, I thought he was too raw and never would make it, but he has really paid off for Carolina.

If we stay at 9, Sedrick Ellis or James Laurianitis would be your most likely picks.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

What about Maualuga?

Also: Do you think Wesley Woodyard will be converted to SS in the NFL? I heard that during the game last night.

Where are the UK boys going to be drafted?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I don't know that I buy that - when we drafted Perry, Rudi had just completed his first season seeing significant NFL action. 2004 was the first year that he went into a season as the full-time starter.
    Rudi languished for 2, maybe 3 years on the bench and was due a payday if he became a star, which he did. If it was not in mind, it should have been. Instead, they gave him a big contract, which was regrettable then and now.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Instead, they gave him a big contract, which was regrettable then and now.
    Disagree completely. Rudi was a workhorse and a Pro Bowl RB. It's never regrettable to sign one of those. He did fall off, somewhat predictably, this year. But in the land of nonguaranteed contracts you simply cut your losses and move on. Keeping Rudi on was undoubtably the right call when it was made, as 2005 and 2006 showed.

As for Chris Perry, the problem wasn't so much drafting him personally, it was the fact that when a team has a glaring need for defense and holes in its lineup drafting a 3rd down back with your first pick is a horrible strategy. The fact that his body collapsed the second he stepped foot in Cincinnati was just icing on an already foul-tasting cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Disagree completely. Rudi was a workhorse and a Pro Bowl RB. It's never regrettable to sign one of those. He did fall off, somewhat predictably, this year. But in the land of nonguaranteed contracts you simply cut your losses and move on. Keeping Rudi on was undoubtably the right call when it was made, as 2005 and 2006 showed.

As for Chris Perry, the problem wasn't so much drafting him personally, it was the fact that when a team has a glaring need for defense and holes in its lineup drafting a 3rd down back with your first pick is a horrible strategy. The fact that his body collapsed the second he stepped foot in Cincinnati was just icing on an already foul-tasting cake.
    I agree with you - resigning Rudi was a good move after the 2004 season, but failing to recognize that he was capable of doing that after the 2003 season was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post

Rudi messed up his body, ironically, when he went on the healthy eating regimen, in my not so sophisticated opinion. I disagree completely with paying big money for a "workhorse" and "Pro Bowl" is about as meaningful as "All Star" in baseball. In the NFL, you pay big money for game changing backs. Rudi type backs are disposables. Throw one away, insert another, which Perry fit perfectly.

I was OK when we resigned Rudi, but I wish the Bengals had the luxury of letting him go and plugging in Perry and spending money to keep someone like Steinbach or sign a free agent front 7 player. Water under the bridge at this point, though, they pretty much got stuck having to sign Rudi because they did not have a clear replacement due to Perry's injury instability.

As long as Mike Brown is in charge the Bengals could have the first nine picks in the draft and it wouldn't matter.

Anyone that plays DE, DT or LB please. Id take the LB from Ohio state if he drops to us and if he leaves.

NEVER pay big money for RB types like Rudi. Let them walk and pick up another dime a dozen back like him. That type of back can't last with the physical punishment they take and it's just a waste of money. Give me Steinbach over Rudi any day. Also you let Justin Smith walk instead of paying 8 million and not signing Steinbach.

When announcers consistently call you a "grinder" and a "run stopper" you are not worthy of 8 million dollars at that position. We need play makers and he is certainly not one of those.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I agreed with picking a RB at the time of the Perry pick, just not him. Steven Jackson was the better option, and I still think so. You have to remember that Rudi was not under contract at the time of the draft, so the Bengals were protecting themselves by picking a running back, just in case Rudi didn't sign. Typical Brown family negotiating tactic, in my opinion.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Give me Steinbach over Rudi any day.

Also you let Justin Smith walk instead of paying 8 million and not signing Steinbach.
    That should have been as plain as the nose on their face. Can't believe they let Steinbach go.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    That should have been as plain as the nose on their face. Can't believe they let Steinbach go.

GL
    Bengals have personnel issues they couldnt keep him or ESPN would have thrown a fit saying how the Bengals love keeping their criminals

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I agreed with picking a RB at the time of the Perry pick, just not him. Steven Jackson was the better option, and I still think so. You have to remember that Rudi was not under contract at the time of the draft, so the Bengals were protecting themselves by picking a running back, just in case Rudi didn't sign. Typical Brown family negotiating tactic, in my opinion.
    Rudi wasn't under contract and was looking at a big pay rase coming off his good season. The bengals had Perry rated higher than Steven Jackson. Whether you/I agree with that rating it was what the bengals and their coaches wanted. Perry is a dymanic running back who has paid dividens when he has been healthy. I don't believe he was injury prone in college but his injuries in the NFL have been unfortunate.

As for this draft I am not a big Conner fan nor a fan of taking a DT in the first round. They are in a fortunate position because a lot of the teams ahead of them need QB help so some good defensive players may slip to the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Mike Brown can be criticized for many things, but drafting in a way to provide a contingency for an undecided contract situation is good business.

Turn Off Ads?