Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Re: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    As long as Mike Brown is in charge the Bengals could have the first nine picks in the draft and it wouldn't matter.
    Yep. If a franchise QB who's finished in the top 5 the last 3-4 years can't help them get over the proverbial hump, nothing will outside of significant operational/business model changes.

The Bengals' are hopeless. I have friends who go to games as season ticket holders, yet every year they try to literally give away tickets to crappy games in crappy weather and can't find takers.

But like Mike Brown, a man who never changes, they are still stupid enough to re-up on their tickets every year, and then complain about how lame the actual games are.

Whatever, I quit going after 2005 and never plan on going back unless they do the following:

Add at least 4-5 more full-time scouts

Add a personnel GM from outside of their current management staff who has a track record of success

Build an indoor practice facility

Change their idiotic salary cap allotment model that only pays RB's, WR's, QB's and OT's with hardly any flexibility. Recently, they've paid DE's as well. Outside of those positions, they typically let every player go who's any good once their first contact is up (Steinbach and Goff are two recent examples, you could throw in Spikes regardless of his reasons, Sam Shade, others).

Fire Paul Alexander (he's AWFUL and never receives criticism) and any other coach who's been around here that long.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    While I wish we could get either Dorsey or Long (Howie's son) and they could significantly help us, I think we'll end up doing something criminally stupid and taking someone like Keith Rivers (USC LB), Ali Highsmith (LSU LB), Quentin Groves (Auburn DE), Leodis McKelvin (Troy CB) or Limas Sweed (Texas WR).

Guys that project between the 6th and 12th picks are as follows, as of 1/1/08 according to MKJr.

Dan Connor - Penn State LB
    Kentwan Balmer - North Carolina DT
    Mike Jenkins - South Florida CB
    Sam Baker - USC OT
    Chris Williams - Vanderbilt OT
    Keith Rivers - USC LB
    Tracy Porter - Indiana CB

Connor is the only one out of that group that I remotely like, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Patriots @ 7, due to the fact they'll eventually have to start replacing their Senior Citizen LBs.
    Kentwan Balmer could help. He seems like a really good pass rushing DT prospect. Although the last 1st rounder we took at that position was supposed to be better than Dorsey is now and look how that turned out.

I am waiting for the Jr's to make themselves eligible before I start getting Mock happy. But I wouldn't mind Connor but would love to get Laurinaitis there (I think he leaves for sure). I could also see taking Baker from USC happening and letting Willie make Phat Burgers full time. I hoped one day that Andrews could be that guy but I'm not alltogether sold on him nor is the staff IMO, at least at RT.

But I see quentin Groves as a legitimate target for the staff. They have a strong need for a pass rusher. He may not be a DE though, but I honestly see them considering a 3-4 this coming season. I never have before but it looks like it's possible to do at this point. That would make Groves an OLB in that scheme which he may be better suited for.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    You have to remember that Rudi was not under contract at the time of the draft, so the Bengals were protecting themselves by picking a running back, just in case Rudi didn't sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Rudi wasn't under contract and was looking at a big pay rase coming off his good season.

Though it wasn't long term, Rudi was under contract through the 2004 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

My point has always been that they should have signed him after 2003 or let him go after 2004. While a franchise record breaking 2004 season certainly helped the team on the field in 2004, it also meant paying more than they would have after a very productive 2003 season and wasting a first round pick on an insurance policy (and clearly not the highest rated RB available at that time).

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

My point has always been that they should have signed him after 2003 or let him go after 2004. While a franchise record breaking 2004 season certainly helped the team on the field in 2004, it also meant paying more than they would have after a very productive 2003 season and wasting a first round pick on an insurance policy (and clearly not the highest rated RB available at that time).

I agree with that notion.

But my thoughts then and now about Perry was that the boneheads in the FO were duped in that draft. I think that they felt Steven Jackson was the pick however the Rams offered what seemed like a sweetheart deal. They had to be thinking (at least I was) that with the offense that St. Louis ran at the time and Marshall Faulk in rapid decline, that Perry was the ideal back for the Rams. Sure he had his issues as did Jackson (lots of carries on that body) but he was the perfect fit or so it seemed. They probably felt that they were still going to be able to choose Jackson and worst case scenario they could fallback to Perry or Jones (who said later that they told him they were gonna pick him) if they indeed were wrong.

Just a thought but it adds up IMO. I'll also add this, I was so psyched when Jackson fell to us and so disgusted when we ended up with Perry (the one guy I didn't want at our pick) that I actually made myself physically sick for the rest of the day about what could have been. I wanted Jackson and then Gamble as plan B., Perry well he was not plan C. he was the character at the end of the Chinese Alphabet, whatever that is.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Oops, I didn't think he was under contract, but I do remember that there was a huge question mark about whether or not Rudi would be back.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Mike Brown can be criticized for many things, but drafting in a way to provide a contingency for an undecided contract situation is good business.
    No, it's not when you are talking about using a first round pick to protect yourself in a contract negotiation. First round picks are viewed as gold to NFL teams, and you can't simply squander that asset to save a few dollars. Otherwise, why not just "pass" when its your turn to pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Kentwan Balmer could help. He seems like a really good pass rushing DT prospect. Although the last 1st rounder we took at that position was supposed to be better than Dorsey is now and look how that turned out.

I am waiting for the Jr's to make themselves eligible before I start getting Mock happy. But I wouldn't mind Connor but would love to get Laurinaitis there (I think he leaves for sure). I could also see taking Baker from USC happening and letting Willie make Phat Burgers full time. I hoped one day that Andrews could be that guy but I'm not alltogether sold on him nor is the staff IMO, at least at RT.

But I see quentin Groves as a legitimate target for the staff. They have a strong need for a pass rusher. He may not be a DE though, but I honestly see them considering a 3-4 this coming season. I never have before but it looks like it's possible to do at this point. That would make Groves an OLB in that scheme which he may be better suited for.

Balmer is not a top 10 pick, nor are Groves or Connor. Kiper's list hasn't been updated in some time, as evidenced by his statement that Balmer should be ready to "break out" this season.

If the Bengals are going to get a defensive lineman, I hope it's Sedrick Ellis. He is far and away the best d-lineman out there not named Dorsey or Long, and those guys will be long gone by #9. Not to mention, he is a great character guy.

If they don't take Ellis, they better sign Haynesworth. If they do that, they could take Keith Rivers or either Buckeye (Gholston or Laurinaitis)- assuming they come out. However, I'd rather see them draft Ellis and sign Terrell Suggs.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What's a good website for mock drafts?
    nfldraftcountdown.com is pretty good, as are todd mcshay's mock drafts on espn insider. both of those are updated fairly regularly.
    Go BLUE!!!

What about the LBer Maumaleuga from USC? He really impressed me during the Rose Bowl. Is he going to come out?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What about the LBer Maumaleuga from USC? He really impressed me during the Rose Bowl. Is he going to come out?
    I hope so. He's a beast. Here's what interests me the most about him - his attitude. This defense needs some attitude!

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-...uga_rey00.html

His style: "I want to become the player that the offense gameplans around, that the offense fears coming into the game."

HC, if he came out I would be thrilled if the Bengals drafted him.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I hope so. He's a beast. Here's what interests me the most about him - his attitude. This defense needs some attitude!

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-...uga_rey00.html
    Exactly. Every great defense has someone who is feared by opposing offenses. Nobody on the Bengals' current defense strikes an ounce of fear into the opponent. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed do that for the Ravens. Brian Urlacher does that. Jason Taylor, yes. Rodney Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, etc. The Bengals have not had that type of guy since David Fulcher, IMHO. Takeo Spikes was probably close, but the rest of the defense was too horrible.

Unfortunately it appears that he is staying for his senior season.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/usc...ayers-maualuga

Linebacker Rey Maualuga has been adamant for weeks. He said he wouldn't turn professional after his junior year no matter how well his Rose Bowl went or much his stock grew among NFL scouts.

After Maualuga was named the bowl's defensive MVP after he sacked quarterback Juice Williams three times and picked off one of his passes, the question popped up again. Maualuga said Tuesday his plans aren't changing.

"Nobody can offer me enough money to leave," Maualuga said. "It won't happen. I made my decision and I'm going to stick to it."

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    No, it's not when you are talking about using a first round pick to protect yourself in a contract negotiation. First round picks are viewed as gold to NFL teams, and you can't simply squander that asset to save a few dollars. Otherwise, why not just "pass" when its your turn to pick.
    Eh? You have a degree of uncertainty that Rudi could walk and you have no one in house to take his place, so using a first round pick to replace an above average back is "squandering" a pick? Glad you're not in charge.

Turn Off Ads?