Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bengals to Draft Ninth

Senor Votto

Re: Bengals to Draft Ninth

When is Chris Long expected to be taken in the draft?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I've seen him as high as #2 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Eh? You have a degree of uncertainty that Rudi could walk and you have no one in house to take his place, so using a first round pick to replace an above average back is "squandering" a pick? Glad you're not in charge.
    No, Rudi was signed through the 2004 season. When a team is 8-8 and one season removed from 2-14, I think they have a lot more pressing needs than drafting to fill out depth at a position of strength. It sounds like if you were in charge, the Bengals would be quite similar to the Bungles of today.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Should be a top 5 pick, but I'm guessing it will be dependant upon the combine.
    Go BLUE!!!

Here are the players I expect to be off the board by the Bengals pick:

Glenn Dorsey
    Darren McFadden
    Chris Long
    Matt Ryan
    Brian Brohm
    Jake Long

I belive one of these three will be available at 9.

James Laurinaitis
    Vernon Gholston
    Sedrick Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Here are the players I expect to be off the board by the Bengals pick:

Glenn Dorsey
    Darren McFadden
    Chris Long
    Matt Ryan
    Brian Brohm
    Jake Long

I belive one of these three will be available at 9.

James Laurinaitis
    Vernon Gholston
    Sedrick Ellis
    I agree, and I'd like to see the Bengals take Ellis first, and either of the Buckeyes second. Keith Rivers or Kenny Phillips would be Plan C.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-03-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    No, Rudi was signed through the 2004 season. When a team is 8-8 and one season removed from 2-14, I think they have a lot more pressing needs than drafting to fill out depth at a position of strength. It sounds like if you were in charge, the Bengals would be quite similar to the Bungles of today.
    And able to walk at the end of the 2005 season, if I remember my facts correctly. That was the same season the team made the playoffs, Perry comes up lame late in the season, his return is uncertain, so they end up buckling and giving the contract to Rudi. I think the Bengals were of a mind to let Rudi walk, but Perry's injury squashed that idea. Again, despite your attempt at tit-for-tat, the fact remains that does not fit the definition of a "squandered" pick with that type of very likely gameplan. And that handwriting was written very clearly on the wall with the pick, in my most humble, honest opinion .

I think Linebacker is a luxury pick in the first round for this team. The pick must be a DT or DE, imo. You can pick up a linebacker in lower rounds. Maybe not a physical freak, but a player nonetheless.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If I had to do a mock(simulation coin flip included) before the Bengals pick, this would be it:

1.Miami:Glenn Dorsey
    2.St Louis:Jake Long
    3.Atlantaarren McFadden
    4.Oakland:Chris Long
    5.Kansas City:Matt Ryan
    6.New York:Chris Long
    7.New England:James Laurianitis
    8.Baltimore:Brian Brohm

I'm starting to like Keith Rivers the more and more I read. That being said, Miami is the real wild card, because Parcells likes to wheel and deal during the draft and Miami has a lot of needs. Take your pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Just for @#$%'@ and giggles, what would the Bengals have to relinquish to get Miami's draft pick?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think Linebacker is a luxury pick in the first round for this team. The pick must be a DT or DE, imo. You can pick up a linebacker in lower rounds. Maybe not a physical freak, but a player nonetheless.
    Whether he comes from the draft or free agency, the D will not be any good again unless they have an impact DL and an impact LBer. The front 7 has been running on support guys for most of Marvin's tenure, starting with the walking of Spikes, and when was the last time the Bengals had an impact Dlineman? He did draft two potential impact LBers in Thurmond and Pollack, but we got one above average season out of one and the other we hardly knew.

I thought you had some man-love for Justin Smith, tr?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I thought you had some man-love for Justin Smith, tr?
    Nope, I just thought your criticism in the Browns game was misplaced because he actually had a really good game, yet you called him out. Of course, you also criticized the front 7 in that game, which is one they actually did pretty well, hence the win and 4 picks.

From a Browns fan, sitting at 9 your best bet is to take Sedrick Ellis, or if hes gone Calais Campbell. Gholston is also considered a Top 10 pick at would be great as a DE for you guys.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    From a Browns fan, sitting at 9 your best bet is to take Sedrick Ellis, or if hes gone Calais Campbell. Gholston is also considered a Top 10 pick at would be great as a DE for you guys.
    Ellis I love. Gholston I like. I want no part of Calais Campbell, especially at #9.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?