Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Kazmir's Days May Be Numbered

Scott Kazmir's Days May Be Numbered

Cost to keep Kazmir may grow prohibitive

By EDUARDO A. ENCINA, Times Staff Writer
    Published December 30, 2007
    Scott Kazmir is coming off his best season, reaching career highs in wins (13), innings pitched (206 2/3) and strikeouts (an AL-high 239).

Even though he is entering his first year of arbitration eligibility, there's already talk that Scott Kazmir's days as a Ray are numbered.

Kazmir is coming off his best season, reaching career highs in wins (13), innings pitched (2062/3) and strikeouts (an AL-high 239). Considering the way the Rays monitored his workload, limiting his pitch counts and innings for most of the second half, it's clear they consider Kazmir a big part of their future.

In an age in which finding quality starting pitching is hard and keeping it more difficult, the Rays - who don't comment on contract negotiations - might be wise to go to the bargaining table and work out a long-term deal with Kazmir.

Here's the glitch. The Rays explored the possibility last year, but nothing developed. And Kazmir, who couldn't be reached for comment, doesn't appear to be in a hurry to sign a long-term deal of the likes of Carl Crawford's or Rocco Baldelli's.

The Tigers paid $29-million over three years for left-hander Dontrelle Willis, who has had declining wins and ERAs the past two seasons. But that came only after the Marlins were forced to trade Willis or lose him in free agency.

Would Kazmir be worth more in two years, provided he maintains his progression and stays healthy? If the Rays keep putting better players around him, absolutely. You'd be talking about a 26-year-old left-hander with about 60 wins and 1,000 strikeouts.

What would you be willing to trade for Scott Kazmir?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Kazmir's Days May Be Numbered

Would you trade Bailey and Cueto for this guy?

I'd trade just about everyone not named Jay Bruce for Kaz. To me, he's more valuable than Santana.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Owning this guy for three years would be really nice. He has the kid of game to succeed in the GAB. 9.73 career Ks per nine with a career 3.64 ERA will play just about any where. I would trade a whole lot more for Kazmir than I would for Bedard. Kazmir broke the 200 inning plateau last year and I really think he would be a solid anchor to the Reds' rotation.

I think I'd give two of the big three pitchers for him and I think the Rays' just might take it. If you do that trade, you don't worry about one of them panning out, because you have already won the lottery with Kazmir.

Harang
    Kazmir
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez/Bailey/FA pickup

That is a playoff rotation.

I think something will be in the works. I think we traded Hamilton to bolster our prospects to trade for someone like Kazmir.
    Who's on first?

I'd def give up the lessor of Bailey/Volquez and Cueto for him....

what are the rays looking for? Are we a good trade partner?

I would love to pick up Kazmir, but here is why I would not, at least not this year.

I think that odds are that one of Bailey/Cueto/Volquez will be an ace in year or two. The problem is that there is no way of knowing which one, at least not now. Kazmir will cost around 3-4M this year and close to 10M by the time he reaches free agency. He also has pitched a lot of innings for a 23 year old, which is a bit scary, although he has averaged only 6 innings a start.

I would rather wait one year and see where everyone is since the Reds will have more certainty then.

I'd try to trade for him - he's a lefty with premier stuff. We have no one in the organization like him. I'd offer Votto and one of Cueto/Bailey/Volquez.

The thinking is that because Kazmir is three years from free agency as opposed to one year for Santana, he might bring nearly as much in return.

The Rays need multiple high-end pitchers, and Kazmir, just about to enter arbitration eligibility for the first time, might be too expensive and ready to depart just as Tampa is projecting contention in two to three years.

I copied this from a Joel Sherman article. It would seem to suggest the Reds would need to consider trading both Bailey and Cueto to get Kazmir.

If we can get Kazmir for the likes of Bailey, Cueto and some lesser minor leaguers I would do it in a heartbeat. A pitching staff of:

Harang
    Kazmir
    Aroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez

Would put us in the playoff hunt for the next three years, which is plenty of time to replenish the talent that we would have lost out of our minor leagues. Its a no brainier.

I like Kazmir as a fit for the Reds much more than Bedard but I can't imagine Tampa Bay moving him for several reasons. I think that franchise has to belly up to the bar and spend the money to sign him.

That said, if I'm Krivsky I would not hesitate to send any two of Bailey/Cueto/Volquez, plus two or three lower-level position player prospects to acquire him.

I would not want to include Votto in that mix, but if that got the deal done instead of more players at lower levels of MLB readiness, I would pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidd Finch View Post
    I like Kazmir as a fit for the Reds much more than Bedard but I can't imagine Tampa Bay moving him for several reasons. I think that franchise has to belly up to the bar and spend the money to sign him.

That said, if I'm Krivsky I would not hesitate to send any two of Bailey/Cueto/Volquez, plus two or three lower-level position player prospects to acquire him.

I would not want to include Votto in that mix, but if that got the deal done instead of more players at lower levels of MLB readiness, I would pull the trigger.
    The Devil Rays are considering trading him because they will not be in contention until 2-3 more years, about the time Kazmir becomes a free agent. It makes a great deal of sense for them to move him at the peak of his value. The Devil Rays actually tried to extend him last year, but were unable to do it.

Bailey, Cueto, Stubbs and Freel for Kazmir and Crawford.

You know, I think its going to be really hard for WK to make any deals where the GM wants to be "blown away" - those GMs are probably going to balk at anything the Reds offer unless it's Jay Bruce ... which is unfair because we have lots of other top-tier prospects ... I don't see why we get immediately barred from the convo if Bruce is untouchable.

I imagine if WK talks to the Rays they'll ask for a minimum of Bruce and Bailey... which is crazy in my IMO.

If we could work the following out though - I'd be very giddy:
    - Votto, Cueto, Stubbs, Lecure to Rays for Kazmir
    -Bailey + specs = to Jays for Rios

We could play Hatte/Kepp at 1st or Dunn or Rios when Bruce comes up (whichever has the most experience/ better skills there)

Resulting Rotation:
    Harang
    Kazmir
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Belisle

Resulting Lineup:
    Bruce, CF
    Phillips, 2b
    Griffey, RF
    Rios, LF
    Dunn, 1b
    Encarnacion, 3b
    Gonzalez, SS
    Ross, C

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Bailey, Cueto, Stubbs and Freel for Kazmir and Crawford.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

The Rays need pitching and not offense. The only deal they will consider for Kazmir is two out of Bailey/Volquez/Cueto plus some lower level pitching prospects. And he is worth that. I just don't think it would be a smart move for the Reds to trade so much strong young pitching for just one guy. It is very rare that trades like that work out.

Turn Off Ads?