Turn Off Ads?

Thread: PLEASE Celebrate Responsibly

PLEASE Celebrate Responsibly

A terrible incident last night in Toledo. I enjoy interacting with so many of you here on the board. I don't want this to happen to any of you.

Toledo: Driver charged with homicide in wrong-way crash
    Blood test finds alcohol at triple the legal limit
    Monday, December 31, 2007 4:40 PM
    By John Seewer

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Lori King | Toledo Blade
    The minivan was demolished in the collision with the pickup truck.TOLEDO — A drunken driver sped down a highway in the wrong direction for about 4 miles before his pickup truck slammed into a minivan carrying a family home after a holiday trip, police said.

A woman and four children in the minivan, including an 8-week-old girl, were killed in the crash that scattered toys, stuffed animals and bits of gift wrap along the edge of the road.

Tests showed that the pickup truck's wrong-way driver had a blood-alcohol level of .254 percent, more than three times the legal limit in Ohio of .08, police said.

Michael Gagnon, 24, of Adrian, Mich., was charged today with aggravated vehicular homicide. His speech was slurred and he smelled of alcohol at the crash scene, according to a police report.

His truck was going north in the southbound lanes of I-280 Sunday night, fire officials said.

Bethany Griffin, 36, Jordan Griffin, 10, Vadi Griffin, 8 weeks, Lacie Burkman, 7, and Haley Burkman, 10, were killed, according to police. All are from Parkville, Md.

Both drivers tried to avoid each other, but the crash ripped a side door off the minivan, throwing out some of the victims.

An infant seat wrapped with pink baby blankets landed in the roadway.

“It was among the worst I've seen,” assistant fire chief Luis Santiago said.

A man and two other children from the minivan were taken to St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, Santiago said.

Danny Griffin Jr., 36, was listed in serious condition; Sidney Griffin, 8, was in critical condition; and Beu Burkman, 8, was in serious condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

All eight had been visiting family in Michigan and were returning to Maryland.

Gagnon also was taken to a hospital, but his injuries were not as serious, Santiago said. There was no telephone listing for him or his family in Adrian.

Samuel Gagnon, Michael Gagnon's brother, told The (Baltimore) Sun that he, his brother and their cousins were drinking at a hotel.

Their sister was supposed to drive them home, but Gagnon said his brother took off in the truck without telling anyone.

“I don't know why he decided to leave,” Samuel Gagnon told the newspaper. “ Everyone's in shock. We're supposed to be celebrating the New Year, but now I got to look forward to my brother in jail the rest of his life.”

When reached later by the Associated Press, Samuel Gagnon declined comment.

Michael Gagnon stopped at a fast-food restaurant in a Toledo suburb just before the crash, said Lt. Hank Everitt of the Oregon police department.

Workers at the restaurant called police, but Gagnon left before an officer arrived, Everitt said. Soon after, a 911 call came in about a wrong-way driver on the interstate.

Other drivers also alerted police just before the crash.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: PLEASE Celebrate Responsibly

Awful.

Boy, that's terrible.

I don't mean to be a downer here, but I've always felt that New Year's Eve is the most overrated holiday of the year. It's just another day of the year. I do my fair share of going out and partying but the hassle over where you are going, who you are going with, what you are wearing, the crowds, the prices is just too much to make it enjoyable.

That being said, Happy New Year everyone!
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

My dad always called it "Amateur's Night Out."

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Boy, that's terrible.

I don't mean to be a downer here, but I've always felt that New Year's Eve is the most overrated holiday of the year. It's just another day of the year. I do my fair share of going out and partying but the hassle over where you are going, who you are going with, what you are wearing, the crowds, the prices is just too much to make it enjoyable.

That being said, Happy New Year everyone!
    Agreed. It's just an artificial, arbitrary day picked out from among 364 other ones and we're suppossed to celebrate----what?

A former girlfriend used to celebrate her birthday as New Years. After all, for her, that was the beginning of a new year. I always liked that approach.

Rem

Why does it always seem that jerks like the guy that caused this mayhem live while all of the life-ending injuries are suffered by someone who just seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Rem

It's an established fact that when someone intoxicated is in an accident, their body doesn't tense up like people who are sober, often leading to them walking away from an accident with little to no injuries.

It's things like this that make me stay in tonight. Well, it's that, and the increased police presence. Too much hassle.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It's an established fact that when someone intoxicated is in an accident, their body doesn't tense up like people who are sober, often leading to them walking away from an accident with little to no injuries.

Yeah. I know all of that. But it's things like that that makes you wonder about a lot of heavy things....

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Yeah. I know all of that. But it's things like that that makes you wonder about a lot of heavy things....

Rem
    Oh I agree.

Please be safe tonight, zoners.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I celebrated with a funk-nasty case of stomach flu/virus. I didn't think there could be that much fluid power ejected from a single body. Same thing happened last year but it hit me during the festivities. Ended up in the hospital after that one.

Screw New Years.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?