Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Bill in Congress Would Have Nudged MLB to Let Pete Rose Back Into Baseball

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Proposed Bill in Congress Would Have Nudged MLB to Let Pete Rose Back Into Baseball

http://www.coshoctontribune.com/apps...712310329/1006

Proposed bill would have called for letting Pete Rose back into baseball

By MALIA RULON
    Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON - What would have happened if Congress had called on Major League Baseball to allow Pete Rose back into the game?

As far flung as that scenario sounds, it was actually something that an Ohio congressman and Rose's former attorney worked on for weeks, according to interviews with those involved.

This proposed bill, which was never introduced because of Rose's reluctance to lobby Congress for the legislation, has never been reported.

Neil Volz, chief of staff to former Rep. Bob Ney, said the idea to lobby MLB for Rose's reinstatement came after baseball's all-time hit leader won a spot on the All-Century Team in 1999.

Rose, banned from the game since 1989 for betting on baseball games while playing for and managing the Cincinnati Reds, was allowed to attend Game Two of the 1999 World Series, during which the All-Century Team was introduced.
    Volz, a longtime Reds fan, broached the subject with Ney of a congressional resolution expressing a sense of Congress that Rose be allowed back into baseball.

Ney, a Republican from central Ohio who was later convicted of bribery and is now serving time in jail, had at the time been looking for ways to help bolster statewide name recognition in hopes of a future gubernatorial run, Volz said.
    The Rose bill was intended to help Ney appeal to Cincinnati voters.

"The bill language wasn't specific. We were just going to say, 'Everyone deserves a second chance,' and leave it at that," Volz said.

One of Rose's lawyers at the time, S. Gary Spicer, recalled working with Ney and his staff on the proposed legislation.
    "It was an idea," he said. "I actually met with him and his staff and they were real enthusiasts."

Spicer said he flew to Washington for the meeting and recalled going back and forth with Volz on the proposed language for the bill.

Roger Makley, a Dayton lawyer who also has represented Rose, couldn't be reached for comment.

Volz, who attended the World Series game in which Rose was introduced as part of the All-Century Team, said the resolution had been drafted and a press release written to tout the legislation when Rose declined to meet or speak with Ney about the resolution.

"We had it all ready to go and he pulled the plug," Volz said. "We were willing to say it was all our idea, which it was, but he didn't want it to appear as if he was going over and asking for this."

Warren Greene, Rose's Florida-based agent, said Rose has always stayed on the sidelines on these kinds of issues. He said after Rose sent MLB a letter in 1997 asking to be reinstated, he tried to stay away from outside efforts lobbying for his cause.

"We just felt, that's a nice gesture, a nice offer, but we're not going to be a part of it," Greene said. "Other Washington political people have approached us over the years, including Ohio senators, and we have had the same response."

Greene didn't say who else approached Rose about legislation. He also declined to make Rose available for an interview.
    Volz, who also has been convicted in the Ney bribery scandal and is serving probation, said the recently released George Mitchell report prompted him to talk publicly for the first time about the proposed Rose resolution.

The Mitchell report accuses dozens of professional baseball players by name of using performance enhancing drugs.
    "Here's my childhood hero sitting there - banned from baseball as this steroid scandal explodes - asking for a second chance," Volz said.

In a recent interview with Dennis Miller on his "Sports Unfiltered" show, Rose mentioned the steroid scandal in comparison to his suspension.

"If you're gonna put these guys that supposedly did steroids into the Hall of Fame, I mean I gotta get a shot somewhere," he said. "I've been suspended 18 years for betting on my own team to win. ... I was wrong ... but these guys today, if the allegations are true, they're making a mockery of the game."
    Rep. Steve Chabot, a Republican who is as big a fan of the Reds and Pete Rose as there is in Congress, agrees.

"He's clearly been punished. To keep him out of the game here on out is going overboard," Chabot said, adding that keeping Rose out of the Hall of Fame "is just wrong."

Still, Chabot says as much as he personally would like to see Rose allowed back into the game - and someday inducted into the Hall of Fame - he doesn't feel the issue should be solved legislatively.

"I'd prefer to see baseball do this on their own," Chabot said.

A representative for MLB did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Proposed Bill in Congress Would Have Nudged MLB to Let Pete Rose Back Into Baseba

Screw the steroids and Rose. It's 2008, Rose is history as he should be. He should be have a mention in the hall about hitting the ball a lot but also cheating for wins and losses. He hit to get on, but bet on situations that he has control over. I'm so tired over all and the subject makes me want to sleep untill 7PM tomorrow. What games are on tomorrow?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Proposed Bill in Congress Would Have Nudged MLB to Let Pete Rose Back Into Baseba

I have never agreed that everyone deserves a second chance.

Everyone should have the chance to earn a second chance.

Pete hasn't earned it.

GL

Pete PLEASE ...........Just gggooooo aawwaaayyyyy!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

=

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    =
    Now that I have seen this pic I fully realize that there was nothing Pete wouldn't do if the price was right!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment.

MLB, Selig really is half the problem. They let Rose on the field for an officially sanctioned event. He's either banned or he's not. They shouldn't trot him out when it serves their (sponsor's) purposes. I'm no clamoring for Pete to be in the Hall. In fact unless they let Buck Weaver in first, Pete shouldn't be allowed in. But MLB made a huge mess of this. Pete brought it on himself of course, but Selig's constant double talk and procrastination fueled the controversy.

It's just like this ridiculous Mitchell Report. Why does anyone need this? IMO it's bad for the game. Baseball can survive a cloud of controversy like the steroid era. It would have faded into the annals of the game. What Selig should have done was create a list of accepted supplements, increased the penalties for performance enhancers and recreational drugs. He should have created a league wide campaign to promote awareness in youth organizations and high schools. Instead he focused on the negative and nothing good will come from it. Why taint my memories of Clemens? They'll never have any definitive proof.

Just another of Selig's blunders. Now how soon before he goes away?
    Suck it up cupcake.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Pete PLEASE ...........Just gggooooo aawwaaayyyyy!!!
    Can't really blame Pete for this one. It wasn't his idea to put a bill before Congress. We probably can't get into a discussion of who you can blame for this without getting the thread tossed into the Peanut Gallery. You'll figure it out if you re-read the article.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    MLB, Selig really is half the problem. They let Rose on the field for an officially sanctioned event. He's either banned or he's not. They shouldn't trot him out when it serves their (sponsor's) purposes. I'm no clamoring for Pete to be in the Hall. In fact unless they let Buck Weaver in first, Pete shouldn't be allowed in. But MLB made a huge mess of this. Pete brought it on himself of course, but Selig's constant double talk and procrastination fueled the controversy.

That's kind of a tricky situation. There's not much of a precedent for that sort of thing. Were there any big to-dos when Joe Jackson was alive where they had an on field ceremony honoring him? I highly doubt it. And the sponsor did pay big money to have him on the field for that sort of thing. I don't necessarily make the jump that because they let him on the field for that they should put him in the HOF.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's kind of a tricky situation. There's not much of a precedent for that sort of thing. Were there any big to-dos when Joe Jackson was alive where they had an on field ceremony honoring him? I highly doubt it. And the sponsor did pay big money to have him on the field for that sort of thing. I don't necessarily make the jump that because they let him on the field for that they should put him in the HOF.
    The point is the integrity of the game. Rose violated that integrity, but MLB said yeah, but someone paid us a lot of money for you to ignore that for one night.

Hypocritical.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Of course, Ney would try to get Rose back in the game...Rose is exactly the same type of character individual that you would expect to see around Ney.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

The point is the integrity of the game. Rose violated that integrity, but MLB said yeah, but someone paid us a lot of money for you to ignore that for one night.

Hypocritical.

That's true but a lot of what baseball does is hypocritical. His stuff has been in the HOF for a lot longer than before he was doing that MC deal. We don't know what went on behind the scenes there. Perhaps Bud was adamant about Rose not participating and MC told them either he is honored like everyone else or you can say goodbye to the whole deal. Like I said, it's an unusual situation. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing his number retired by the Reds and to see him honored in the Reds HOF. If the HOF wants to change their policy about letting banned players in, that's up to them and the people doing the voting.

The stuff he has in the HOF predates the Dowd report. It has no bearing on trotting a guy out with a lifetime ban. I think what Pete did on the playing field has no bearing on what he did as a manager. However, I haven't read the Dowd report. I don't KNOW if he gambled as a player. I think he probably did, but I have no proof that he did. As a player nobody can dispute his HOF credentials, but the fact is the rules were changed to keep him out for a reason. Since Selig didn't do anything to change those rules he should have made a stand and said no to MC.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Of course, Ney would try to get Rose back in the game...Rose is exactly the same type of character individual that you would expect to see around Ney.
    Exactly. Maybe Ney knew he'd be needing a second chance in the future?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The stuff he has in the HOF predates the Dowd report. It has no bearing on trotting a guy out with a lifetime ban. I think what Pete did on the playing field has no bearing on what he did as a manager. However, I haven't read the Dowd report. I don't KNOW if he gambled as a player. I think he probably did, but I have no proof that he did. As a player nobody can dispute his HOF credentials, but the fact is the rules were changed to keep him out for a reason. Since Selig didn't do anything to change those rules he should have made a stand and said no to MC.

So why not just take his stuff out of the HOF if you're going to be consistant about the whole deal? I'm no fan of Bud's and I'm sure he didn't want to see Rose on that field but it's easy for you and I to sit here and say he should have taken a stand and not accepted MC's filthy lucre since we're not the commissioner of MLB.

Turn Off Ads?