Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carson suggests coaching changes

Re: Carson suggests coaching changes

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I wish we let them move when we had the chance :o
    Agreed, all that cash wasted on their place could have been used by the Reds
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Why is it an excuse? Most colleges have great indoor practice facilities. Mike Brown again isn't living up to his job and doing what is best for the franchise. Carson knows what free agents and players want.
    Maybe. But, then again, they play all 8 home games outdoors and all 3 divisional road games outdoors as well, so I don't see the problem practicing outdoors.

I'd think that an indoor practice facility would mean MUCH more to a college team than it would an NFL team for recruiting purposes. In the NFL, they simplify recruiting by just offering more money.

Maybe I'm ignorant about the NFL Free Agent process -- seeing as how I've never been an NFL Free Agent -- but I think "indoor practice facility" would rank lower on the list than things like guaranteed money, promise of playing time, coaching staff, and current ability of the signing team to win. I don't foresee a lot of situations where a player says: "Well, Tennessee is offering more money and Jeff Fisher really wants me to be his go-to back, but dammit if Cincinnati's indoor practice facility isn't spiffy."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Maybe I'm ignorant about the NFL Free Agent process -- seeing as how I've never been an NFL Free Agent -- but I think "indoor practice facility" would rank lower on the list than things like guaranteed money, promise of playing time, coaching staff, and current ability of the signing team to win. I don't foresee a lot of situations where a player says: "Well, Tennessee is offering more money and Jeff Fisher really wants me to be his go-to back, but dammit if Cincinnati's indoor practice facility isn't spiffy."
    It's a signal to potential employees of the overall quality of an organization. By itself it doesn't mean a whole lot. As one piece of the overall Mike Brown portfolio, it means a little more. How many cold weather organizations don't have an indoor practice facility. That's the question that should be answered.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Still, he stumbled upon a great young team, and has yet to prove himself.
    They were able to draft Palmer because they were 2-14 and the league's laughingstock when he arrived. Yea, some great young team...they were just getting ready to bust out.

You would have to be assuming that no one around here has been paying attention to the Bengals for the last 15 years to get that one by unchallenged.

Marvin has proven that he can build a respectable football team. What he hasn't proven is that he can build a powerhouse, which is the goal I'm assuming he and any Bengals fan wants accomplished. As I've been saying throughout the season, this is the pivotal offseason for Marvin's career with the Bengals. He must do some soul searching on what he wants the next five years to look like and go about the business of putting the personnel in place to accomplish building that.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I wish we let them move when we had the chance :o
    For me, that may be the only solution. At least I'd be free to choose a franchise that sees the playoffs from time to time. As it stands, I'm a Bengal fan by birth. :runawaycr

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    For me, that may be the only solution. At least I'd be free to choose a franchise that sees the playoffs from time to time. As it stands, I'm a Bengal fan by birth. :runawaycr
    id probably just end up becoming a hockey fan

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Why is it an excuse? Most colleges have great indoor practice facilities. Mike Brown again isn't living up to his job and doing what is best for the franchise. Carson knows what free agents and players want.
    Really? I am curious what makes you think that this is so.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It's a signal to potential employees of the overall quality of an organization. By itself it doesn't mean a whole lot. As one piece of the overall Mike Brown portfolio, it means a little more. How many cold weather organizations don't have an indoor practice facility. That's the question that should be answered.
    Yep, it exemplifies the cheap nature of the organization and lack of commitment to winning. I don't know why people here don't realize that - every other team in this climate has one.

Furthemore, if you've ever played football, practicing outside 3-4 days a week in this weather come Nov-Dec can be brutal, even in the summer it can get ridiculously hot and humid - guys get hurt, field conditions deteriorate, practices aren't nearly as productive, and you're limited by the weather conditions...nor can you similate hostile indoor environments properly without one.

Having to reserve a facility at the last minute constantly just to throw the ball around and drive 30-40 min's north of Cincinnati is stupid for an NFL team to have to do.

Players don't come here as much in the off-season to work out - because they have nowhere to run or work on their catching/passing etc..., unless the weather is good. They work out in California or Florida instead, on their own, nothing else.

If you're a Free Agent, and you've got two places on your finals list - and at one of them you know you'll be practicing in the elements all year round unless it's extreme, you'll think twice about that commitment if the money is close.

I'm glad Palmer is speaking up, because Marvin sure isn't anymore now that he's been Bungalized.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

It is a good question. Don't the Bengals have some clause in their deal where if so many teams have a certain item like Field Turf or something like that, then the county has to pay for it?

If I were UC and the Bengals wanted to use their indoor facility, I'd tell them to bugger off or charge them up the nose to use it. You actually think that if the tables were turned and UC needed to use the Bengals indoor facility that they would let them use it? Not very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Agreed, all that cash wasted on their place could have been used by the Reds
    If it weren't for the Bengals, the new stadium project would probably not have gone through. Marge Schott was not exactly the most likable person and I seem to recall she did nothing to promote the stadium projects. There's a good chance the Reds could have left town before the Bengals. Even if they stayed, they might likely be playing in a renovated Cinergy Field rather than a new park. Maybe that's what some people would like, but it wouldn't have been a good solution if your goal is to keep the Reds in town for the long run.

Should Cincinnati lose its pro sports teams, it isn't likely to get them back any time soon. Not with larger markets still waiting for teams. I suppose it would be good for UC, Xavier, and minor league hockey though.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If it weren't for the Bengals, the new stadium project would probably not have gone through. Marge Schott was not exactly the most likable person and I seem to recall she did nothing to promote the stadium projects. There's a good chance the Reds could have left town before the Bengals. Even if they stayed, they might likely be playing in a renovated Cinergy Field rather than a new park. Maybe that's what some people would like, but it wouldn't have been a good solution if your goal is to keep the Reds in town for the long run.

The Reds were never going to leave town. It's not like the NFL where they can go pretty much as they please.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Rex Ryan and Ken Zampese please

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Yep, it exemplifies the cheap nature of the organization and lack of commitment to winning. I don't know why people here don't realize that - every other team in this climate has one.

Furthemore, if you've ever played football, practicing outside 3-4 days a week in this weather come Nov-Dec can be brutal, even in the summer it can get ridiculously hot and humid - guys get hurt, field conditions deteriorate, practices aren't nearly as productive, and you're limited by the weather conditions...nor can you similate hostile indoor environments properly without one.

Having to reserve a facility at the last minute constantly just to throw the ball around and drive 30-40 min's north of Cincinnati is stupid for an NFL team to have to do.

Players don't come here as much in the off-season to work out - because they have nowhere to run or work on their catching/passing etc..., unless the weather is good. They work out in California or Florida instead, on their own, nothing else.

If you're a Free Agent, and you've got two places on your finals list - and at one of them you know you'll be practicing in the elements all year round unless it's extreme, you'll think twice about that commitment if the money is close.

I'm glad Palmer is speaking up, because Marvin sure isn't anymore now that he's been Bungalized.
    BUNGALIZED!! That's good!

Rex Ryan and Ken Zampese please

Mike Martz is now available.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Mike Martz is now available.