Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carson suggests coaching changes

Re: Carson suggests coaching changes

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Reds were never going to leave town. It's not like the NFL where they can go pretty much as they please.
    I agree that the Reds were not likely to leave Cincinnati. However, I recall talk (and I believe renderings) of converting Riverfront to baseball only. It seems to me that the stadium in Anaheim was the model.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They were able to draft Palmer because they were 2-14 and the league's laughingstock when he arrived. Yea, some great young team...they were just getting ready to bust out.

You would have to be assuming that no one around here has been paying attention to the Bengals for the last 15 years to get that one by unchallenged.

Marvin has proven that he can build a respectable football team. What he hasn't proven is that he can build a powerhouse, which is the goal I'm assuming he and any Bengals fan wants accomplished. As I've been saying throughout the season, this is the pivotal offseason for Marvin's career with the Bengals. He must do some soul searching on what he wants the next five years to look like and go about the business of putting the personnel in place to accomplish building that.
    He stumbled upon the talent. Who on this team has he brought in? He didn't bring in Rudi, Chad, TJ, or Willie, and would have been an idiot to pass on Palmer. That's almost the whole offense right there.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I agree that the Reds were not likely to leave Cincinnati. However, I recall talk (and I believe renderings) of converting Riverfront to baseball only. It seems to me that the stadium in Anaheim was the model.

Rem

You're right. I think Busch Stadium II would have also been a model if they went down that road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You're right. I think Busch Stadium II would have also been a model if they went down that road.
    And how long did Busch II last before they replaced it? I seem to recall that DC was still in play at that point and that was the time when Bud Selig encouraging teams to push for new ballparks using DC as the potential city to move a team to. I also seem to recall that Marge had an antagonistic attitude toward the city and county at that time, so there was talk that she would either seek a stadium in No. KY or sell to out-of-towners. I don't know how serious that info was, especially considering she'd have to get it by the limited partners, but I remember hearing it. In any case, she did nothing to promote building a new ballpark for the Reds and, based on Bud Selig's relationship with Marge, I wouldn't doubt he would have let the Reds move if it meant getting rid of Marge without having to force her out.

As it is, the Reds might owe the Bengals for two stadiums. It was before my time, but I seem to recall hearing that Riverfront was built only because Paul Brown got an expansion franchise from the AFL/NFL, thus guaranteeing use of the stadium beyond baseball season. Supposedly, 1960s Cincinnatians weren't too keen on building a downtown stadium if the Reds were the only tenants.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    And how long did Busch II last before they replaced it? I seem to recall that DC was still in play at that point and that was the time when Bud Selig encouraging teams to push for new ballparks using DC as the potential city to move a team to. I also seem to recall that Marge had an antagonistic attitude toward the city and county at that time, so there was talk that she would either seek a stadium in No. KY or sell to out-of-towners. I don't know how serious that info was, especially considering she'd have to get it by the limited partners, but I remember hearing it. In any case, she did nothing to promote building a new ballpark for the Reds and, based on Bud Selig's relationship with Marge, I wouldn't doubt he would have let the Reds move if it meant getting rid of Marge without having to force her out.

As it is, the Reds might owe the Bengals for two stadiums. It was before my time, but I seem to recall hearing that Riverfront was built only because Paul Brown got an expansion franchise from the AFL/NFL, thus guaranteeing use of the stadium beyond baseball season. Supposedly, 1960s Cincinnatians weren't too keen on building a downtown stadium if the Reds were the only tenants.

I think Busch II lasted at least 10 years after they redid it. Almost 40 years if you want to count it from its inception. The Reds could have gone that route but they would have had to build a new stadium eventually so you figure the cost of refurbishing Cinergy on top of the cost of building a new stadium and it would have cost quite a bit more than if they just went the new stadium route. Plus I heard that Cinergy was starting to fall apart in the parking garage area and places like that.

I don't think DC was ever on anybody's list on where to move teams until Montreal was in trouble. Plus you can't move teams in baseball unless you get their say so and there isn't any way they would have let the 1st professional franchise leave Cincinnati. Marge was so full of crap on the stadium issue. She had no leverage cause she stalled the whole process trying to get a bigger, better deal. Even if she would have tried to sell to out of towners, MLB could have denied the sale. It isn't like the NFL where you can move your franchise at a whim.

You are correct about the Reds owing Riverfront to the Bengals. Before the Bengals came along the Reds were looking at different places for a new stadium including Blue Ash. I think they were eventually going to build a baseball only stadium where Riverfront/Cinergy was but the Bengals came along and Riverfront was born. Bill De Witt, Sr. was so against building a multipurpose facility that he sold out.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?