Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Zeroing In on Livan Hernandez

What if the #3 turns out to be Livan???

I look at the names out there and keep coming up with the same logical conclusion. The Reds could very possibly end up with Livan Hernandez. He probably won't command a Lohse-type overpayment and won't be at the top most teams' wish lists. However, he has a strong Dusty Baker connection.

Actually, I believe Baker owes Hernandez. Baker used Hernandez for a couple of years to really eat up innings and save the Giants' bullpen. I believe Hernandez's statistics suffered for a couple of years simply because he was unselfishly pitching so deeply into games.

Unless a better option appears, I would not be too surprised to see the Reds sign Hernandez. There are worse options out there.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What if the #3 turns out to be Livan???

Livan Hernandez is a number 6 at this point in his career, even on the Reds.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Personally. I think Livan is headed for a pretty sharp decline, but even if they did decide to go that route he would be my 3rd/4th starter (with Bronson) and I'd still be looking to trade for a #1 or 2. If we are going old warhorse though, I'd rather take a 1yr. flyer on Leiber (and I'd still try to deal for better if I signed him too).

I'm not advocating Hernandez, but with the Baker connection, I wouldn't be shocked to see it come down to him signing with Cincinnati. He was a number three/four guy in the rotation for a playoff team a little more than a month ago.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

In 2007, Livan Herandez was basically a right handed Tom Shearn. Keep your money and just give a rotation spot to Shearn if you want no strikeouts and a 5.75 ERA. He does nothing well other than keep pitching.

Let's not confuse being "the" #3 starter with being "a" #3 starter. ARod was a #8 hitter for Yankees in the playoffs at one point. Jimmy Haynes was an opening day starter. Adam Dunn hit leadoff. Juan Castro pinch hit for Josh Hamilton. I think you get the idea.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-02-2007 at 11:34 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

That wouldn't be awful, as a cheap rotation patch.
    Go Gators!

A homer every 6 innings exactly - 34 in 204 innings. At GAB that would likely increase. I could see 45 or 50 HRs allowed. OPS against vs lefties was .854 - vs righties .885, very similar road and away. Livan makes everyone an all star bat. Yes he eats inings. Just not very effective or pretty innings and the combination of another year to his arm and GAB as his home park would -- well I'm really scared to extrapolate what might happen to hhis numbers. Please no. Just save lots of money and throw Shearn or Livingston out there.

I would be very upset and feel that it would a be a big step in the wrong direction.

If you want to take a chance then a one year deal to Bartolo Colon makes more sense. There are some who think his arm is gone but reports have it he was hitting 94 regularly last summer. He had the worse LOB% and highest BABIP in the AL which points to bad luck. I'm not necessarily advocating Colon but I'd much prefer a one year gamble that has a chance than a deal to Hernandez for 200 bad innings. Come on Wayne just get Haren or Bedard so we can quit torturing ourselves with this stuff.

This,

would be cheaper.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If the Reds can get Hernandez for 1 year at about 5 or 6 million, I would certainly consider it. I think he will go to the Mets.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This,

would be cheaper.
    Didn't we have that? back when it was called Jimmy Anderson/Hayes
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Didn't we have that? back when it was called Jimmy Anderson/Hayes
    You're close.

Eric Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    In 2007, Livan Herandez was basically a right handed Tom Shearn. Keep your money and just give a rotation spot to Shearn if you want no strikeouts and a 5.75 ERA. He does nothing well other than keep pitching.

Let's not confuse being "the" #3 starter with being "a" #3 starter. ARod was a #8 hitter for Yankees in the playoffs at one point. Jimmy Haynes was an opening day starter. Adam Dunn hit leadoff. Juan Castro pinch hit for Josh Hamilton. I think you get the idea.
    Exactly. They list a "plus" on this guy as being an inning eater. So he can consistently get you into the 7th inning down 4-5 runs. Lohse could do that.

That's the problem right now. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is out there trying to find anything adequate this winter to try and shore up their rotations.

I probably won't mind a Livan for a one year contract while it gives some of our other kids more time to develop, and the fact he could be trading deadline bait (like Lohse) where we could get a prospect in return (like Mahoney) from some panicking team needing something/anything to possibly keep them in the second half hunt (like Philly).
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Exactly. They list a "plus" on this guy as being an inning eater. So he can consistently get you into the 7th inning down 4-5 runs. Lohse could do that.

That's the problem right now. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is out there trying to find anything adequate this winter to try and shore up their rotations.

I probably won't mind a Livan for a one year contract while it gives some of our other kids more time to develop, and the fact he could be trading deadline bait (like Lohse) where we could get a prospect in return (like Mahoney) from some panicking team needing something/anything to possibly keep them in the second half hunt (like Philly).
    Except that Kyle Lohse can actually be a downright dominating pitcher at times.... Livan on the other hand....

Turn Off Ads?