Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: After a starting pitcher, what is the #2 priority?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yet ANOTHER starting pitcher- pamper thy young pitching

22 31.43%
  • Bullpen help

13 18.57%
  • A catching upgrade

9 12.86%
  • Shortstop- I'm not an AGon believer

0 0%
  • A centerfielder who can go get the ball and hit a bit.

5 7.14%
  • A righthanded bat to balance out the lineup

17 24.29%
  • Other (specify)

4 5.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Should the #2 Priority Be?

What Should the #2 Priority Be?

Lord knows we don't agree on too much around here, but I think there is a general consensus that if the Reds could add only one player it should be a starting pitcher. But I'm curious to find out what you'd add if you could add two players instead of one?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Should the #2 Priority Be?

A lefty reliever to be the top lefty with Bray the second lefty and Stanton and maybe Coutlangus pushed off the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I would LOVE a catching upgrade.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I was torn between another SP and a CF, but ultimately you can't have enough pitching.

Seeing as the Reds hardly have any, let's keep collecting.

Priority #2 should be to get the best available player regardless of position or need.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Lefty reliever and righty bat. A tie.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am not completely sold on the idea that we need another starter more than we need other pieces. While another starting pitcher would be nice, I don't think we are out of anything if we go with the rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volquez and Bailey, especially given that Cueto and Maloney are in AAA if anyone struggles.

There are quite a few places that I would like to see some more help added (bench, bullpen and the rotation) and I am not sure I put more emphasis on any of them more than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not completely sold on the idea that we need another starter more than we need other pieces. While another starting pitcher would be nice, I don't think we are out of anything if we go with the rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volquez and Bailey, especially given that Cueto and Maloney are in AAA if anyone struggles.

There are quite a few places that I would like to see some more help added (bench, bullpen and the rotation) and I am not sure I put more emphasis on any of them more than the other.
    You may be the only one here who thinks the Belisle, Volquez and Bailey part of the rotation is ready for prime time. It's been said by plenty of others, but if the Reds enter 2008 with the above rotation, it will be the 13th straight season without a division championship.

Sign Dunn to LTC.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A lefty reliever to be the top lefty with Bray the second lefty and Stanton and maybe Coutlangus pushed off the roster.
    Fully agree, and based on last year's performance Reds should have ample room for another new reliever or two. But -- there are those Coffey and Stanton contracts and presumably Majewski is a signed player too. Wonder if the Reds will feel obliged to keep all three in the major leagues yielding fewer available bullpen spots.

I would want some more experienced/aged inning eating pitching. We have seen the youngster pitching tossed out there before without good results.

I think looking at the diversity of suggestions on here (SP, LH reliever, catcher, CF, etc) shows that this team is not ready for prime time, potentially even with another acquisition.

If I could pick a player, it would be a young starter or almost ready minor league talent.

I am ready to go to war with Belisle, Volquez and Bailey in the rotation, but I would have tempered expectations for this season. That's why I absolutely hated some of the money pissed away last off-season. A target should have been put on 2009 or so as when the FO makes a serious move payroll wise. Some of the signings were just wasted money, IMO.

More starting pitching, can never have enough, the O will be ok.
    Go Gators!

I voted cf, but I don't know how realistic that is. In the absence of someone who can help, rather than get a Juan Pierre type I'd go for another starter.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I voted cf, but I don't know how realistic that is. In the absence of someone who can help, rather than get a Juan Pierre type I'd go for another starter.
    The Reds have a Juan Pierre type in Hopper. He's a cheaper version of an awful idea.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?