Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Scale of One to Ten

A Scale of One to Ten

On a scale of one to ten how do you rate the Reds off season so far?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Scale of One to Ten

5--which is up from a 1 last offseason.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-01-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

well i love Josh Hamilton and really don't care for Dusty Baker...so there you have it.

Actually I'll admit that the Hamilton trade will probably end up being the right move and signing Cordero was a big step in the right direction no matter how/when he decides to implode. I'm hopeful that getting a taste of success in the second half last season will propel this team forward more that any single move could have.

to answer your question I'll go with a 6.75

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    On a scale of one to ten how do you rate the Reds off season so far?
    I am going to give it a 6. I gotta give them plenty of kudos for effort which is why this isn't a 4-5. If I were basing strictly how they have improved it would only be a 4-5.

2 Reasons:

#1. Hiring Dusty Baker will prove to be a bad idea for several reasons IMO. I could have been happy with a "name" manager over Mackanin but not this one. Obviously I have tried to be optimistic about it but I think it was the wrong move.

#2. Cordero was necc. and improves the team which is a plus, but giving that much money and years to a guy who had big problems in Texas (another HR prone park) is foolish. I would have been more willing to have dealt players/spects for a guy like Nathan or Fuentes, seen how they fared in GABP and then signed them to a LTC next yr. If they had waited another season for a big contract they may have found their closer on the cheap in the meantime (Burton?).

#3. (I had to edit this thought in) Although I really, really hated to see Hammy go it was the smart move. I don't know that I will be feeling that way down the road though.

Basically their Hearts and Wallets were/are seemingly in the right place but their brains are somewhere else altogether. If they add a F.O.R starter for what Wayne seems to wanna give up for one then it goes up to about a 7, again only being dragged down by their choices.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-01-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add a thought!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

5 or 6 depending on mood.

They aren't markedly better than last year, though my optimism is high.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

4 1/2
    Go Gators!

"Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Would've kept Hamilton until I was sure Bruce was ready to take over CF. I don't see that we upgraded our rotation very much with that trade.
    Glad we got a closer.
    Don't think I'm gonna like Dusty Baker as our manager.
    We still need pitching. I would've let go of some prospects to get Haren, Bedard, or Kazmir.

My grade: C- (about a 4.5 on a ten scale)

They wasted a bunch of money on a truly bad manager, who thinks players clog up the bases when they get on base. They spent a bunch of money on a closer. Baseball managers and closers are probably the two most overrated positions in sports, and spending big money on them is the exact opposite of what a small market team like the Reds should be doing.

I'm actually sort of at a loss as to why there seems to be a positive vibe around this team on this board. They're bringing back basically the same players except there is a closer who might add 5 wins or so (at best). I think Dusty probably costs them 1 or 2 games, though. Maybe they can string together 85-90 wins if the division continues to stink AND 2-3 of their prospects can put together good seasons, but that was true last year.

The only reason I'm giving them a 3 and not a 1 or 2 is because at least they haven't traded any of their good prospects and I think the Hamilton trade is good, because they traded a high-risk/high-reward guy for another high risk/high-reward guy but traded from a position of strength for a position of need.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

4 ish

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

incomplete.

Im a jerk.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I actually agree with doug on the incomplete.

If they go get the starter they desperately need, it would make for a very high score. Do that and sign Dun n long term and I give it a 10.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

A 2 on hiring Baker as the manager but a 8 on the moves made so far.

2 + 8 divided by 2 = 5
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?