Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Krivsky centering on Livan Hernandez?

Krivsky centering on Livan Hernandez?

A member of ORG has heard on XM 175 that Krivsky will be looking into signing Livan Hernandez for their free agent starter. I have mixed feeling about this. I have repeatedly suggested signing Livan in the past, as I believe he is the best free agent starter remaining out there. However, that isn't saying much. On the plus side, he will give you 200+ innings and quality starts(19 QS last year). He will also give up a lot of hits(240+ the last 3 years), a lot of HR (25,22,34 in NL West stadiums the last 3 years-enough said). I don't suppose a 1 year deal will hurt much, but I would be very careful about giving him multiple years if I were Krivsky.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivsky centering on Livan Hernandez?

I guess I would like to see it. He's obdviously nothing flashy. Still, if he can give us 180-200 innings a year out of the five spot, I'll take it.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I like the idea of a one year deal. He's a solid No. 3 pitcher who will give us a 50% chance to win almost every game out. Not to mention this allows Dusty to overuse one starting pitcher without affecting our future. Dusty never did like going to the bullpen.

I would be totally afraid of his HR/9 his declining bb/9 and hes like 65 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I would be totally afraid of his HR/9 his declining bb/9 and hes like 65 years old
    What, you don't believe he will be 33 in February?

A one year deal would be tolerable, but at what price? Unless Baker can convince him to sign on the cheap, he would probably be too expensive a stop gap. And if he wants more than 1 yr the deal stops making sense.

The Reds need another starter, but Livan's last two years have been scary. Nearly every stat is trending the wrong way. And look at his GB/FB ratios. Jeesh.

I saw him pitch against the Reds in RFK and it was almost funny. He looked like a tired Dave Williams. Not at all the pitcher I remembered. He will be only 33, and might have some years left in him, but I think the Reds could get more value from Kris Benson or Josh Towers.

There is no point in spending alot of coin on someone who will only be marginally better and maybe worse than the in house alternatives.

Look elsewhere or stand pat unless you can get him for half the 7-8 million he made the last 3 years.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

I am for Hernandez for one year and club option for second.

The thing that gets me with this rumor is that Cincinnati doesn't seem to be an envious place for Livan Hernandez to end up on a one year deal. He would be better served getting a lesser deal in a more pitcher friendly ballpark with a better defensive team. I would be afraid of WK giving into an additional option year to lure him here (Stanton, Cormier). So while Livan might make sense for Cincinnati on a one year deal it doesn't seem to fit from Livan's perspective. I can't envision him signing for less than a two year deal.

This would be AWESOME!! He is a legit #3 as stated, and would be a HORSE in the Rotation.

19 Quality Starts?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! I had no idea he had that many.

SIGN HIM NOW!!!

WK would be pulling a major coup being able to keep Cueto (in AAA all of 2008), and then we can live with Homer/Volquez at #5, and not have to consider putting TWO kids in the rotation.

I like this idea.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    19 Quality Starts?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! I had no idea he had that many.
    There's a number I hadn't seen. I can live with that, assuming, of course the price and years are right.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I wouldn't worry about Hernandez giving up too many homers because Harang and Arroyo each gave up 28 themselves last season. It just goes along with pitching there. I think there is a definite place in the Reds rotation for Hernandez because of what he will give you. He will give you 200 IP, which is extremely important to a Reds bullpen that all too often has been overused. He will give you 10-15 wins and an ERA somewhere between 3.50-5.00. Any team will take that for a #3-5 starter and I would think that is the expectation of the Reds for him. If his numbers are going up in the wrong way, never underestimate what a change of scenery and a new pitching coach can do. Also, never underestimate what a guy with playoff experience can do for a club. An innings eater pitcher who went to the NLCS last season as Arizona's #3 starter in the Reds rotation? The Reds have to do this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    There's a number I hadn't seen. I can live with that, assuming, of course the price and years are right.
    Yeah, that REALLY surprised me. For all the negatives that get thrown around re: Livan - hits, HR's, etc... - if he's only giving up 3 runs in 6 innnings 60% of the time, we should be fine with him eating up 200+ innings for us in 2008.

If that was his ONLY purpose - to pitch 200 innings of sub 5.00 ERA, even in the #4/5 spot - that would be worth it, just to save our bullpen every 5th day.

He's about the only guy out there WITHOUT injury risks in FA - when you look at Lieber (37), Garcia, Jennings, etc... we could do a LOT Worse.

A one year deal, with club option for 2nd, would be ideal.

Then, you hope Livan is our #4 guy - and one of Belisle/Volquez/Bailey moves into that #3 role, and we can make a serious run.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    What, you don't believe he will be 33 in February?
    do you?

1 year. 6 million. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    1 year. 6 million. Do it.
    If the price is right, we have to pull the trigger. Livan > Eric Milton.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Turn Off Ads?