Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good minor league system?

Re: What makes a good minor league system?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The fact that I think your hypothesis is a bad one makes me unhealthy? Or is it the fact that I respond to something I disagree with that makes me unhealthy?
    you're a bit slow, aren't you?

tell you what. you add very little, so I'll put you on ignore starting now.

no more replies now. That would add cowardice to your personality traits

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ah, so I am slow, mentally unhealthy and cowardice simply because I disagree with you? Thats a good conclusion to draw from this I guess.....

if ever a thread needed a mod's influence...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

No kidding.

Too bad. It was a good topic and there are some decent points buried in there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

ugly

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

38 more days 'til pitchers and catchers report...coommme ooonnnnn...:all_cohol

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Since im new to this forum, and this thread is allready wrecked, lets start over...

Keys to a good minor league system......

1. Excellent Player evaluation
    2. Strong Latin American/Pacific Rim influence
    3. Knowledgable player management
    4. Finicial flexability and the freedom to use it
    5. Developing specific postions of strength in the minors
    6. GM that brings in high upside players at low A instead of lowe ceiling more advanced guys
    7. Willingness to trade from a postion of strength to further stock weak minor postions
    8. Luck

A good minor league system doesnt have to have all of these traits, but having 5 out of 8 is a necessity. Ill use Texas is an example just because i have contacts in their minor leagues and i know a good portion of their system.

1. Player evalution was lacking until the new regime took over and is questionable so far with a small track reocrd
    2. Texas placed 3rd in all Latin American signings and just added 3 more from the Pacific Rim
    3. Questionable before the regime change but hints that Texas refused to start the arb clock on their closest SP prospect(Hurley) is a good sign
    4. In the top 3 in signing over slot last draft
    5.C.....Maybe 2B,SS
    6. Both major Texas trades at the deadline involved high upside guys
    7. Undecided
    8. Texas minor league motto, if it wasnt for bad luck.....

That shows at the worst 4 most likely 6 and Texas has turned there minor leagues around signifigantly.

Again, sorry to use Texas to illustrate my point by im not 100% covered on the Reds, yet. I ended up here after a freind on mine convinced me to follow a NL team aswell, and Cinci reminds me alot of Texas and more than anything i grew up on stories by my grandfather of the big red machine

Thanks much for resuscitating this Laxtonto - and welcome to the board. This is the kind of post I was hoping for. Here's what I'd like to see, and would do myself if I had the time.

1.) Establish a list of 6-10 major areas of competency (such as you've laid out)
    2.) Create a point system within those areas -- some like like Completely Ineffective (1 point), Struggling (2), Mediocre (3), Effective (4), Industry Leader (5).
    3.) Run every team through the matrix and see how we come out.

If somebody else wants to run with it, please do. Once we have a working model, we can debate and tweak from there. Maybe we need to weight certain areas more heavily, combine overlapping areas, etc. However, I think it would be very interesting to approach things from this angle.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The initail question needs not how to set up a rading scale, but in determing the parameters. Its easier to do a grade system with 10 feilds just because of the the familarity people have with the 100 point grade system.

Another main point is that might be effective to try to set each feild so its a non biased. Budget vs. Budget use os a good example. If you have all the money in the world to spend on international players but they all flop, did that do you any good? Ill think on this and try to come up with a few feilds. Another approach i have found is to go to other team specific message boards to help get an overall gauge. BA and BP doesnt givr all the information needed for this type of project.

But as far as trying to this league wide, sure im game, but we nned to probably get parameters ironed out soon

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The problem is, finding a full list of international signings is nearly impossible until each team comes out with its 2008 media guides. Their signing bonuses are going to be non existant as far as 90% of them go. An interesting thing to look at would maybe be the number of international guys signed for under a given amount that made their way to the US (lots of Venezuelan and Dominican Summer League guys never make it to the States). Again the problem is knowing the amount these guys signed for, as its hardly ever known for 90% of the guys that do sign. It would be something I would love to look into though if the information were available.

I figure 1 parameter should be the average team ranking of each of the major prospect rankings weight from top to bottom....

Say the Astros ranked 30 25 29 and 23 for an average of 26.75

weighing this out would be 30-26.75/30 x 10 or 1.2. This keeps from having teams recieivng a 0 for there current minor league system. This can help on some of the indept attempts at trying to qunatify each teams minor league systems.

Another idea would by using a teams last 10 years or so of developing players through their system as a track record aswell

Quote Originally Posted by laxtonto View Post
    I figure 1 parameter should be the average team ranking of each of the major prospect rankings weight from top to bottom....

Say the Astros ranked 30 25 29 and 23 for an average of 26.75

weighing this out would be 30-26.75/30 x 10 or 1.2. This keeps from having teams recieivng a 0 for there current minor league system. This can help on some of the indept attempts at trying to qunatify each teams minor league systems.

Another idea would by using a teams last 10 years or so of developing players through their system as a track record aswell
    I think things would be more accurate if you only do that in cases where it actually applies. For example the Reds have had 2 different ownerships and 3 different GM's in that time frame. I would think it might be fair to include multiple GM's (to some extent) but not in cases where ownership has changed hands.

Make it 10 yrs or since the last owner took over. I might include GM's as well but would rather not because it usually means alot of turnover throughout the organization when that occurs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

you know guys we might be able to come out with some form of good working model on this

Quote Originally Posted by laxtonto View Post
    you know guys we might be able to come out with some form of good working model on this
    My guess is that if it can't be done here it likely can't be done. Alot of guys on this board can do just about anything they put their mind to.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    you're a bit slow, aren't you?

tell you what. you add very little, so I'll put you on ignore starting now.

no more replies now. That would add cowardice to your personality traits
    I find you irritating. Are you by chance an attorney? Quoting Bill the butcher from Shakespeare's Henry the VI, "first thing we do, is we kill all the lawyers". Or something like that........I'm sure you'll correct me if I mis-stated.

Turn Off Ads?