Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Bresnahan Fired

Re: Chuck Bresnahan Fired

From Bengals.com:

Report: Bresnahan, Hunley out
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    January 2, 2008

6:20 p.m.

For the third time under Marvin Lewis the Bengals appear to be looking for a defensive coordinator with one of the candidates possibly former Jets and Lions coordinator Donnie Henderson.

ESPN reported Wednesday that the Bengals let go Chuck Bresnahan and linebackers coach Ricky Hunley. Bresnahan, 47, led the defense to finishes of 28, 30, and 27 in the NFL rankings the past three seasons.

The Bengals, through public relations director Jack Brennan, won't confirm the reports. He did say the club could have an announcement on coaches as early as Thursday.

In the first year Bresnahan replaced Leslie Frazier, the defense helped fuel the run to the 2005 AFC North title with a league-leading 44 turnovers. The 74 they forced in '05 and '06 were second only to the Bears.

But a devastating set of circumstances at linebacker this season doomed the defense as soon as training camp opened. David Pollack, the team's No. 1 pick in 2005, sat out '07 with a broken neck. Middle linebacker Odell Thurman was denied reinstatement from a drug suspension. And four others went on season-ending reserve after playing a total of eight games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I suppose another lame duck like Donnie Henderson will take his place.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    For the third time under Marvin Lewis the Bengals appear to be looking for a defensive coordinator with one of the candidates possibly former Jets and Lions coordinator Donnie Henderson.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I really like Chad as a WR. He is a legit #1 WR as long as he is happy. The instant anything doesn't go his way then he becomes an average player.

I think we can all agree that Chad was not a happy player this year, yet he set a new franchise record for receiving yards.

I'll take Chad whether he's happy or not...

Strangely-worded cryptic announcement on Bengals.com....

http://www.bengals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Bresnahan gone?

Looks like I'll be busting open a beer in celebration tonight!
    ME TOO BUDDY!!

Bottoms up!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Great news im tired of watching fat gary busey running out d
    I always thought he looked more like a middle-aged Bam Bam, constantly scanning the crowd to see if his estranged wife Pebbles decided to use the tickets he left her at will call.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I always thought he looked more like a middle-aged Bam Bam, constantly scanning the crowd to see if his estranged wife Pebbles decided to use the tickets he left her at will call.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

He certainly constructed a defense like he was a member of a modern stone-age familyyyyy.

I hope we can get somebody good to replace him. I don't expect much though. Why not let Marvin take over the defensive play calls?

How about Jim Mora Jr?
    Last edited by GoReds33; 01-02-2008 at 09:04 PM.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

If Henderson takes over as defensive coordinator, they might as well have just kept Bresnahan.

During the year the Jets made the playoff run under Herm Edwards, Henderson was the defensive coordinator. They were second against the pass, but 30th against the run. Sound familiar?

Only advantage I see is Henderson is good for if they want to run a Cover 2 defense, while Marvin's specialty has always been 3-4.

Another name being thrown out today by the Enquirer is Tim Lewis, former Steeler and Giants coordinator.
    Last edited by WVRed; 01-03-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Only advantage I see is Henderson is good for if they want to run a Cover 2 defense, while Marvin's specialty has always been 3-4.
    Henderson is not a Cover 2 guy. He was let go in Detroit because Marinelli uses the "Tampa 2" scheme and Henderson did not.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6577

Henderson, 50, was the Jets defensive coordinator in 2004 and '05 before moving to the Lions for a year in 2006. Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said when he let Henderson go after a 3-13 season that it was more about systems and Henderson didn't have any background in the Tampa 2 that Marinelli brought to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    while Marvin's specialty has always been 3-4.
    Marvin's specialty has always been the 4-3.

It's about time they fired Bresnahan, he was one of the worst defensive coordinators ever. I wouldn't mind seeing Rex Ryan as the D-coordinator. Hopefully Bratkowski will be the next to go.

I would desperately try to trade Rudi this offseason for whatever they could get (I'd be ecstatic with a 3rd round pick), because otherwise I would cut him June 1. Go into the year with Watson, Perry, Irons and Dorsey and see who emerges in training camp.

I would keep Chad, because you'll never be able to get any kind of equivalent value for him. As Parcells said in Miami, while we do need to shake things up, I think we should try to keep the good players.

I would let Deltha walk in free agency, and re-sign Madieu only if he'll take a hometown discount. Otherwise start the year with the all young secondary of Hall, Joseph, Ndukwe and Marvin White. Sure there will be some growing pains, but I think they could be a solid group for years to come.

Finally, I would let Justin Smith walk, and I would try desperately to sign either Albert Haynseworth or Terrell Suggs. If they can sign the former, I would target a DE/LB in the draft (Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, James Laurinaitis, or Keith Rivers). If they could sign the latter (which I would prefer), I'd love to draft Sedrick Ellis.

I would also love to get a shot at Fred Davis, the TE from USC in the second round. He would help open up the offense and stop the constipation.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-03-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Marvin's specialty has always been the 4-3.
    I think he ran a 3-4 in Pittsburgh and Baltimore before being hired here.

I would let Delthea walk in free agency, and re-sign Madieu only if he'll take a hometown discount.
    Deltha is signed through next year. I'd keep him but I think Marvin has had enough of him. I think he was exhibit A when Marvin spoke of players more concerned with contracts than wins

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think he ran a 3-4 in Pittsburgh and Baltimore before being hired here.
    Baltimore was a 4-3 when Marvin was there. They switched to a 3-4 sometime after he left.

Turn Off Ads?