Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone spinoff for football discussion?

Re: Is there a Bengals version of RedsZone?

Honestly, the best Bengals talk I have found on the internet is right here in the non-baseball section of RZ.

NFL message boards are, generally, the absolute lowest form of discussion anywhere on the internet, which is really saying something!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Honestly, the best Bengals talk I have found on the internet is right here in the non-baseball section of RZ.

NFL message boards are, generally, the absolute lowest form of discussion anywhere on the internet, which is really saying something!
    Yeah, I think a lot of baseball sites have better NFL sections than most NFL boards. Some of them are more multi-team than others, but I'd rather talk general NFL with fans of other teams than "brave the elements" in that creepy world.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I agree with WilyMo, the best online Bengals talk there is, is here. I've been to BengalsZone, and let's just say...it doesn't meet the same standards as RedsZone, that's for sure. RedsZone also looks alot nicer and more organized too, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I am loathe to stick where I post on here as I don't want to appear to be spamming, but I do have a place. It is indeed full of the above mentioned problems that bucksfan has identified, but there are a core of decent thinkers on there that make it worth sorting through the chaff. I have posted there since December '04 and will be glad to send anyone a PM with the site.
    CarsonCity knows what you're talking about.

But yeah, I used to post a bunch on Bengals.com boards, but once it got to be popular it became virtually unreadable (think reds.com). I then went to bengalszone.com, and enjoyed it for a little while, but as soon as this past losing season hit, bam, out with any sort of analytical approach to how the players performed, and in with "FIRE MARVIN! MIKE BROWN STEP DOWN!" etc etc. Like mem said, there are a few very good posters on there that provide ORG-level discussion, but it's become unreadable for the most part as well, IMO.

I'm with WilyMo. I've found the non-baseball chatter right here on Redszone to provide the most intelligent group discussion on the Bengals. For very good work from a blogger, try cincyjungle.com. Josh Kirkendall does an excellent job and you're free to leave comments on his topics. Unfortunately hardly anybody ever does. (Sorry for the plugs, just trying to help out.)

I'm just going to through this out there, but...

Would the admins be opposed to a bengals.redszone.com?

Bengalszone is comparable to redszone in a lot of aspects. They have really good moderators and you don't have the ignorant people trying to talk crap (every once in awhile you'll have one). Their home page is more creative and their forum is set-up very similiar to this site. It really comes down to prefernce which is whatever anybody is used too. I like both and they both do their job in a professional way. I do think it is pretty stupid to limit members to certain threads due to post amounts. It just seems like a lazy way to run a forum. If you keep up w/ your forum, you can find the idiots and eliminate them as they come w/ out missing a beat. I've been on this forum for awhile and never signed up because I don't post much and I never thought I could ever get up to the amount necessary to post w/ the norms. There is hardly any Bengals talk on this board, so comparing bengals talk hear to their is like comparing reds talk here to bengalszone. Bottom line, come here for the best reds talk and go to Bengalszone for the best Bengals talk.
    Last edited by kentjett; 01-16-2008 at 08:27 PM.

I agree in that I enjoy talking football here more than elsewhere. I've frequented www.bengalsjungle.com and www.go-bengals.com and, while I find both good for getting Bengals tidbits, it gets tiring sorting through all the "Mike Brown is the root of all evil" vs. "Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are trying to turn things around" debates. There seems to be more animosity between posters who like the same team on those boards than you see here with posters from opposing teams and people generally try to back up their arguments with analysis rather than name calling.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

What about adding a Bengals section to this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    What about adding a Bengals section to this forum?
    That's something I'd definitely be on board with. But I imagine Boss would like this section to cover that. Maybe, though, I'm wrong.

http://forum.go-bengals.com/

Isn't too bad, but realistically it is really hard to find football discussion at the same level as baseball on the internet.

I think there are a lot of reasons for that, but one is probably the fact that football is a really complex sport, and the average fan has a pretty shallow understanding of what's going on. A lot of what happens in football is invisible too (like literally, often you don't see really important parts of the field on television), while in baseball pretty much everything is out there.

Would be interesting to know if hockey and basketball boards out there are more like baseball sites or football sites. If they tend towards the football sites then I'd guess that the speed of the game has something to do with it as well.

Lot easier to form communities around baseball, a slow game with lots of downtime (which means lots of time to get to know each other).
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    http://forum.go-bengals.com/

Isn't too bad, but realistically it is really hard to find football discussion at the same level as baseball on the internet.

I think there are a lot of reasons for that, but one is probably the fact that football is a really complex sport, and the average fan has a pretty shallow understanding of what's going on. A lot of what happens in football is invisible too (like literally, often you don't see really important parts of the field on television), while in baseball pretty much everything is out there.

Would be interesting to know if hockey and basketball boards out there are more like baseball sites or football sites. If they tend towards the football sites then I'd guess that the speed of the game has something to do with it as well.

Lot easier to form communities around baseball, a slow game with lots of downtime (which means lots of time to get to know each other).
    Agreed on all points. Baseball is still pitcher vs hitter and it's easy to define a players true worth. In football there are no numbers that can be used to define a players true worth at MANY positions.

It's just a complex sport and unless you've played it at a high level or coached you wouldn't have any idea how shallow most fans are.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I like what football outsiders does, and they have some good discussion threads, but it's not really the same.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It seems that the management of that place takes a dim view of this place.

http://forums.bengalszone.com/lofive...hp/t16659.html
    Gee what a shock.
    Go Gators!

Re: Redszone spinoff for football discussion?

Having a Bengals sub-forum on this site would seriously kick ass.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think the other part of the reasons that football discussion boards are so awful is because the "reaction" noise is so much worse.

In a 16 game season, a 2 game losing streak seems like the end of the world, and most boards find their fans ready to either jump into traffic after losses. Talk turns to firing the head coach or GM at the first sign of trouble and benching players after a bad quarter. Announcers and Analysts feed into this -- a good victory in Week 1 turns the talk towards "They're going to win it all", a bad loss in Week 2 and suddenly the talk shifts to "Will this coaching staff survive the season?"

With baseball, it's much easier to take a macro view. You'll see a player suck for 10 games running and refer to it as a "slump" that will be played through. You can evaluate things month to month instead of game-to-game.

Plus, I think the demographics work against football. Most baseball boards I read seem to have a good mix of people from all age groups -- young, middle-aged, old, and RFS62. That tends to keep discussion on a fairly even keel. That doesn't exist as much on NFL boards I've visited, which it seems skew much younger.

Just my thoughts, at any rate.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?