Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Johan Santana Article

Old Red Guard Reject

Johan Santana Article

Ok, not to beat a dead horse and/or get something started, but, if half of what Steinbrenner says in this article is true, then WK should forget about Bedard and try for Santana. The Yanks "best offer" is Phillip Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Jeff Marquez and another prospect. I would think Bailey/Cueto, Votto, Travis Wood and another prospect would trump the Yanks, who proudly proclaim their offer to be the best out there, and I'd make that trade in a heartbeat for Santana. Sign the extension as well.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...n_santana.html
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johan Santana Article

Amen...

Thanks

Teams like the Reds cannot afford to have one guy, even if he is the best pitcher in baseball, take up 25% of their payroll. The only teams that can afford Santana are NY teams, and the Red Sox, that is why they are the only ones bidding for him.

What's going to be the annual marginal difference in salary between Santana and Bedard or Haren? Seeing how much better Santana is than both Bedard and Haren, and how the market only gets more expensive each year, I'd be willing to argue that Santana won't be making that much more than either Bedard or Haren in their next contracts. I know this may seem like a complete pipedream, but if there's one large, expensive contract to give out, Santana would be my #1 priority.

Yeah, I cannot figure this out? Nobody would have ever thought this Team would Shell out 46 Million over 4 years for Cordero? So would it be out of the Realm of Sanity to assume that a 20 Million Dollar a year contract for a STARTING PITCHER, the BEST in the Sport, some would say... Would be absurd? I think Bob C wants to WIN now and sees the opportunity in the NL Central to WIN the Division and Claim it for the next 4-5 Years...

Dusty Baker
    Fransisco Cordero

Who would have ever thought that these 2 would be with the Organization?

Not me? So after you put that in Perspective? Is landing Johan Santana and giving him 140 Million over 7 Years really that out there? Especially with Wayne K having some inner knowledge of the Johan Santana Situation from his time in Minnesota...

I think this is Long Shot at best, but I would be suprised if WK has not made calls up to the MetroDome to atleast feel this out... This team has Prospects to Trade and the Red Sox, Mets, and Yankees offers are subpar compared to what the Reds could counter-offer...

Thanks

I would not trade any of our top 4 prospects in a trade for Santana unless we agreed on at least a 2 year extention with him the day of the trade.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I would not trade any of our top 4 prospects in a trade for Santana unless we agreed on at least a 2 year extention with him the day of the trade.
    any team trading for Santana would get a 48 hour negotiation window...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I might like this deal but who would play first Hatteberg or who? I thought it was 72 hour window.
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 01-06-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Old Red Guard Reject

It's amazing to me that some people say to sign Dunn to a LTC, but we can't afford Santana? That doesn't add up to me!
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I Know I Don't Understand Either We Pay Cordero We Want A Winner We Need To Do It. They Can Also Get Another Sp Off Fa List.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    any team trading for Santana would get a 72 hour negotiation window...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Turn Off Ads?