Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Swisher to White Sox

Swisher to White Sox

Beane continues to pile up prospects:

The A's traded outfielder Nick Swisher, a former star with the River Cats, to the Chicago White Sox on Thursday for three top minor-league prospects.

Oakland acquired left-handed pitcher Gio Gonzalez, right-handed pitcher Fautino De Los Santos and outfielder Ryan Sweeney.

Swisher becomes the second major player traded this off-season by the A's, who also dealt star pitcher Dan Haren for number of prospects to the Arizona Diamondbacks last month.

The 27-year-old Swisher hit .262 with 22 home runs and 78 RBIs in 150 games in 2007, his third full season with the A's. He hit 80 home runs, a franchise record for a switch-hitter.

Gonzalez, who pitched for Double-A Birmingham in 2007, was 9-7 and led all minor-league pitchers with 185 strikeouts.

De Los Santos, the South Atlantic League's Most Outstanding Major League Prospect, was a combined 10-5 with a 2.65 ERA for Single-A Kannapolis and Single-A Winston-Salem.

Sweeney, who was named the White Sox No. 1 prospect by Baseball America entering the 2007 season, hit .270 with 10 home runs and 47 RBI in 105 games at Triple-A Charlotte.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Swisher to White Sox

Kenny Williams is desperately trying to hang on. I think the Sox are in huge trouble for the foreseeable future. Great trade by the A's. Ladies and Gentleman, THAT is how you rebuild. Call it a firesale if you want, but Beane is getting quality and quantity by selling when his own player's value is high. It takes guts to do it, but I think we'll see the A's reaping the rewards in 2010 and beyond.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-03-2008 at 02:38 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

That seems like a pretty big haul for Nick Swisher...I like Swisher but wow!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Damn that's a nice haul of prospects.

I like that group of prospects better than the ones they got in the Haren deal.

The White Sox are headed down a bad, bad path.

I'm glad that's not my team!
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Wow. Beane >>>>>>> Williams.

GREAT deal for the A's.

Hey Doug: What's a good website where they rank MLB teams in terms of minor league talent?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Hey Doug: What's a good website where they rank MLB teams in terms of minor league talent?
    There really isn't one. Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, Minorleagueball.com and Projectprospect.com are all doing team rankings right now, but I think only BA ever really does a farm system comparison and ranking and that is in their prospect handbook that comes out in February.

This definatly boosts Deno's chances of starting for the A's once he's healthy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There really isn't one. Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, Minorleagueball.com and Projectprospect.com are all doing team rankings right now, but I think only BA ever really does a farm system comparison and ranking and that is in their prospect handbook that comes out in February.
    Gotcha. Thx!

Big haul for Oakland, although Swisher does play well at U.S. Cellular Field (.378 BA, 568 SLG, 1.022 OPS). Like many have said perfect example of selling high, does it make some second guess the Hamilton trade.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Who cares? I NEVER understood the obsession with Chris Denorfia around these parts.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Big haul for Oakland, although Swisher does play well at U.S. Cellular Field (.378 BA, 568 SLG, 1.022 OPS). Like many have said perfect example of selling high, does it make some second guess the Hamilton trade.
    If this were the return we got for Hamilton, most would be crying foul that the Reds were waiving the white flag for 2008. I don't think anybody would have been happy trading a ML contributor for a fourth OF and two guys that had yet to play above AA. 3 years ago maybe, now not so much.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-03-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Let the reign of Gold Gloves begin!

Turn Off Ads?