Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Swisher to the Sox (from ORG)

Swisher to the Sox (from ORG)

Beane continues to pile up prospects:

The A's traded outfielder Nick Swisher, a former star with the River Cats, to the Chicago White Sox on Thursday for three top minor-league prospects.

Oakland acquired left-handed pitcher Gio Gonzalez, right-handed pitcher Fautino De Los Santos and outfielder Ryan Sweeney.

Swisher becomes the second major player traded this off-season by the A's, who also dealt star pitcher Dan Haren for number of prospects to the Arizona Diamondbacks last month.

The 27-year-old Swisher hit .262 with 22 home runs and 78 RBIs in 150 games in 2007, his third full season with the A's. He hit 80 home runs, a franchise record for a switch-hitter.

Gonzalez, who pitched for Double-A Birmingham in 2007, was 9-7 and led all minor-league pitchers with 185 strikeouts.

De Los Santos, the South Atlantic League's Most Outstanding Major League Prospect, was a combined 10-5 with a 2.65 ERA for Single-A Kannapolis and Single-A Winston-Salem.

Sweeney, who was named the White Sox No. 1 prospect by Baseball America entering the 2007 season, hit .270 with 10 home runs and 47 RBI in 105 games at Triple-A Charlotte.

MlbTrade Rumors.com's take on the deal:

The White Sox paid a massive price to get their man, however. Pitchers De Los Santos and Gonzalez were their two best prospects, according to Baseball Prospectus' Kevin Goldstein. De Los Santos is said to have a huge ceiling, whereas Gio is a solid lefty who's nearly big-league ready. Goldstein ranked Sweeney eighth on the team, but projects him as more of a fourth-outfielder type (he was once very highly regarded though).

If it wasn't obvious with the Dan Haren trade, the A's are in full-fledged rebuilding mode. Joe Blanton, Huston Street, and Mark Ellis could be next to go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Swisher to the Sox (from ORG)

Well let us go and get Joe Blanton then.

Old Red Guard Reject

Oddly, it appears the A's did better dealing Swisher than Haren as far as their return.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Old Red Guard Reject

Rotoworld's take:

Nick Swisher-OF-White Sox Jan. 3 - 2:31 pm et

White Sox acquired outfielder Nick Swisher from the Athletics for LHP Gio Gonzalez, outfielder Ryan Sweeney and RHP Fautino De Los Santos.

It's going to be interesting to see how the White Sox try to fit these pieces together. If they're willing to use Swisher in center field, they're improving their lineup immensely with the deal, though it's at a steep cost in the team's top two pitching prospects and the still promising Sweeney. If they're doing it with the idea of using Swisher in left field, leaving no room for Carlos Quentin, then the deal could prove to be a major bust. We're guessing they'll pencil him into center for now but continue to look for alternatives. Either way, Swisher gets a nice upgrade in fantasy value with the switch to the AL's best home run park. He'll be a threat to hit 35-40, especially if the White Sox are smart enough to hit him second.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Well let us go and get Joe Blanton then.
    with a side helping of Huston Street. That kid excels in middle relief IMO. He and Burton could set-up Cordero for the next 4 years...

I'd give up Cueto, Woods, Stubbs, and more fodder for Blanton and Street...

Think they'd go for it?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    with a side helping of Huston Street. That kid excels in middle relief IMO. He and Burton could set-up Cordero for the next 4 years...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    No... but if they would... that'd be one of the few trades that includes Cueto that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Huston Street should get more than Blanton. He is a lights out closer when healthy. He was injured last year, which is why his saves were low. I am not sure that package would get Street by himself. Nice idea though.

Since moving to Chicago, I've grown into a Sox fan... I like the addition of Swisher, but with the decline of their rotation last year, trading their future SP's is painful. The Sox are becoming an old team.

My favorite AL team may be in the crapper for a while....

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Huston Street should get more than Blanton. He is a lights out closer when healthy. He was injured last year, which is why his saves were low. I am not sure that package would get Street by himself. Nice idea though.
    Yeah, I was being a little facetious ...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?