Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotation spots up for grabs

Rotation spots up for grabs

01/03/2008 3:30 PM ET
    Arms race: Rotation spots up for grabs
    GM Krivsky discusses possibilities for Reds' starting five
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- With seven weeks remaining until the Reds open Spring Training on Feb. 16, this is how their rotation looks:

There are two established starting pitchers in ace Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo. Next is Matt Belisle, who has just one year under his belt as a big league starter. The rest are promising prospects Homer Bailey and newest acquisition Edinson Volquez have a little Major League experience. Johnny Cueto and Matt Maloney have none.

That's five young arms competing for the last three spots.

Last month, Cincinnati was one of several teams seeking a potential deal for Orioles lefty Erik Bedard. Since acquiring the 24-year-old Volquez from the Rangers in exchange for Josh Hamilton on Dec. 21, the Bedard Hot Stove ember involving the Reds appears to have been all but extinguished. Baltimore was believed to be seeking a cadre of elite prospects in return, including Minor League Player of the Year Jay Bruce, Joey Votto and Bailey.

"We feel good about adding Volquez to compete for a job," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said on Thursday. "But it's always ongoing to look to add more depth and competition."

As a policy, Krivsky does not speak in specifics about potential trades or signings.

Adding another experienced pitcher to the mix could bolster the starting five and also push the younger guys in camp. Krivsky plans on having some lesser known non-roster invites add to the numbers, but didn't rule out doing something a little more dynamic.

"As far as the recognizable names on the free-agent market, we're still looking at that," Krivsky said. "There's still a possibility of a trade to bring someone that has more name recognition."

Most of the interesting names remaining on the free-agent market are a few years past their best seasons, but could offer benefits in the middle or back of the rotation. Livan Hernandez or Brett Tomko would fall under that category. Others are coming off significant injuries like Jon Lieber, Kris Benson or Bartolo Colon.

As far as re-ignited efforts for a top-tier starting pitcher, don't count on it. But don't fully count it out either.

"It's always a possibility," Krivsky said. "You just have to weigh everything. During the holidays, it died down. But I'm sure calls will pick up again as teams fine tune their rosters going into Spring Training. We'll have to wait and see."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 01-04-2008 at 01:20 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rotation spots up for grabs

I like the Kris Benson idea out of any of the names out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I like the Kris Benson idea out of any of the names out there.
    His wife in Cincinnati would be hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    That's five young arms competing for the last three spots.
    While it would still be nice to add an established starter, I like the sound of the above better than the usual "That's five injury plagued re-treads trying to return to form competing for the last three spots."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I think Matt Belisle is pretty much guaranteed a spot...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

based on WK comments, I think we are not yet done with ACQUISITIONS.

From the Org:

Free Agents Possibilities:

Livan Hernandez
    Jon Lieber
    David Wells
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Bartolo Colon

Trade Possibilities:

Joe Blanton
    Cliff Lee
    Chris Capuano
    Erik Bedard
    Scott Kazmir

IMO, we would be best to go for Blanton. It's pretty obvious Beane is in SELL NOW mode, so IMO we'd be best to trade for him. He will ask for Quantity, not Quality.

We might even be able to get him without giving up Cueto OR Bailey.

Maloney, Stubbs, fodder A, fodder B, fodder C for Blanton...

THEN, you can leave Homer and Johnny in AAA for most of the season, where they SHOULD be to start the year.

Harang
    Blanton
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez

ME LIKES!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

BLEEDS- I gotta ask you: Which year do the Reds have a better chance of winning? 2008 or 2009? If the anwser is 2009, then why don't we save our prospects and just sign somebody as good as Blanton (Derek Lowe) in the 2009 FA pool?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

In this division, you're only a few good pitchers away from having a shot at the division title. I'd say the Reds are one pitcher away from having that chance. Cn they make it in the playoffs, that's diffucult to say, but unless that guy is Santana or Bedard, probably not. 2009 is more likely, assuming the young arms develop and aren't traded away.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

If he is guaranteed a spot then I think we are in for yet another long season. Belisle's role on any team with a shot to win is as a spot starter/long man.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Belisle has the arm and the stuff to be a good ML pitcher. I'm not going to discount him after an up and down 1st year in the rotation. I also think that Narron and a terrible bullpen took their toll on Matty.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    If he is guaranteed a spot then I think we are in for yet another long season. Belisle's role on any team with a shot to win is as a spot starter/long man.
    Considering Belisle had about a 4.50 FIP in 2007, which is about NL average #3, he certainly should be given a rotation spot and is much more valueable than a long reliever...

BLEEDS- I gotta ask you: Which year do the Reds have a better chance of winning? 2008 or 2009? If the anwser is 2009, then why don't we save our prospects and just sign somebody as good as Blanton (Derek Lowe) in the 2009 FA pool?
    Why can't it be both?!?! I want to win SOME in 2008 - I think we can compete with a FA pitcher, but a #1/#2 puts us in REAL competition.

Right now 2009 has too many question marks - Dunn, Jr being the biggest - to say for sure. Also, you don't know what the other teams might do by then.

In 2008, I know I'll have Dunn, Jr, and Bruce available in the same OF - for probably the only time. We also have Harang and Arroyo on the cheap.

I like both of those guys you mentioned, but obviously a Blanton type is younger, so we have a LARGER window to work with him.

I want to get good, step-by-step, and for the long-term. We Certainly Need to win some in 2008 to build momentum.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Why can't it be both?!?! I want to win SOME in 2008 - I think we can compete with a FA pitcher, but a #1/#2 puts us in REAL competition.

Right now 2009 has too many question marks - Dunn, Jr being the biggest - to say for sure. Also, you don't know what the other teams might do by then.

In 2008, I know I'll have Dunn, Jr, and Bruce available in the same OF - for probably the only time. We also have Harang and Arroyo on the cheap.

I like both of those guys you mentioned, but obviously a Blanton type is younger, so we have a LARGER window to work with him.

I want to get good, step-by-step, and for the long-term. We Certainly Need to win some in 2008 to build momentum.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    No, just becuase Blanton is younger doesn't mean we would have a longer window because we would have to trade many cost-controlled young players to get him...

No, just becuase Blanton is younger doesn't mean we would have a longer window because we would have to trade many cost-controlled young players to get him...

We would have Blanton longer, and cheaper, which is why our window would be longer.

I wouldn't necessarily trade Bailey for him, but maybe Cueto if I had to, otherwise I think he can be had for less. My scenario was Maloney, Stubbs, and FODDER (read: AA or lower). We can live with that - still keeping Bailey and Cueto, to ultimately replace the Harangs/Arroyo's down the line.

I don't care about giving up 1-2 AAA guys with some guys who are in AA or below if I can get a Blanton type signed now for the 3-5 years window.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?