Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which Free Agent Do You Sign?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Livan Hernandez: 2 yrs at $16 million, 2010 club option of $9 with $2 million buyout

12 13.04%
  • Jon Lieber: 1 yr at $6.5 million, 2009 club option of $8.5 million with $500,000 buyout

25 27.17%
  • Kris Benson: 1 yr $2 million up to $8 million, 2009 club option $9.5 million - $250,000 buyout

13 14.13%
  • Bartolo Colon: 2 yrs at $20 million

10 10.87%
  • Freddy Garcia: 1 yr $5 million up to $9 million, 2009 player option $10 mil if meets 120 inns '08

8 8.70%
  • Josh Fogg: 3 yrs at $23 million

4 4.35%
  • Brett Tomko: 1 yr at $4 million, 2009 club option of $5 million with $375,000 buyout

9 9.78%
  • None of the above!

11 11.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Free Agent Do You Sign?

Which Free Agent Do You Sign?

It is easy to say who you would like to sign from the free agent bunch still available, but at what price?

I have tried to attach deals to each free agent that I think is most likely. Of course, this is an inexact science.

I would choose Benson and his Clement like deal.

Options:

1. Livan Hernandez: 2 yrs at $16 million, 2010 club option of $9 with $2 million buyout.

2. Jon Lieber: 1 yr at $6.5 million, 2009 club option of $8.5 million with $500,000 buyout

3. Josh Fogg: 3 yrs at $23 million

4. Kris Benson: 1 yr at $2 million + incentives to $8million, 2009 club option of $9.5 million with $250,000 buyout

5. Freddy Garcia: 1 yr at $5 million + incentives to $9 million, 2009 player option at $10 million if he meets 120 innings in '08

6. Bartolo Colon: 2 yrs at $20 million

7. Brett Tomko: 1 yr at $4 million, 2009 club option of $5 million with $375,000 buyout

8. None of the above!
    Last edited by PickOff; 01-04-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Which Free Agent Do You Sign?

I vote for #8. Too much $$$ for unproven backend rotation fodder. Sorry.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

1. Livan Hernandez: 2 yrs at $16 million, 2010 club option of $9 with $2 million buyout.
    I like Livan, but I"m not paying $18M for 2 years of him!!

2. Jon Lieber: 1 yr at $6.5 million, 2009 club option of $8.5 million with $500,000 buyout
    Maybe!

3. Josh Fogg: 3 yrs at $23 million
    Josh Fogg for 3/$23M, he of the CAREER 4.90 ERA?!?!? NO THANKS!!!

4. Kris Benson: 1 yr at $2 million + incentives to $8million, 2009 club option of $9.5 million with $250,000 buyout
    Maybe!

5. Freddy Garcia: 1 yr at $5 million + incentives to $9 million, 2009 player option at $10 million if he meets 120 innings in '08
    Maybe!

6. Bartolo Colon: 2 yrs at $20 million
    TOO MUCH money, no 2nd year.

7. Brett Tomko: 1 yr at $4 million, 2009 club option of $5 million with $375,000 buyout
    I would have to take this one, seems best risk/reward play.

8. None of the above!
    Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I vote for #8. Too much $$$ for unproven backend rotation fodder. Sorry.
    No apologies necessary.

Hopefully Wayne won't need to apologize either, whatever he ends up getting done.

At these prices, I agree Tomko provides the best risk/reward.

I had a thought though, what if you sign Tomko AND Benson? That would add $6-$12 Million in payroll which I admit may be a little much. Kind of a hedging strategy. Hopefully one of them pans out.

In doing so you have are retaining all of the young studs. The rotation would be:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Benson
    Belisle/Bailey
    Tomko

Inevitably someone will go down with injury and you bring up one of the kids. This strategy allows the Reds to play for this year and 2009 and beyond.

Again, just a thought.

I like Livan a little more than Lieber, mostly due to him being less of an injury/age risk. I think both are productive #3/#4 type starters when healthy. However, I think Lieber is actually the safer play because you propose him a a 1yr signing as compared to Livan's 2 guaranteed yr's...
    Nice poll!

Senor Votto

Colon but not that much money

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I think the whole idea is that he will command that price so it is part of the package...

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    What's the most expensive deal for Colon you would accept?

The reds have plenty of stink with out adding another colon to the roster

4 5 and 7 maybe 6 but not that kind of money on 6

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

If those have to be the parameters Pickoff, I go with Kris Benson.

"Kris Benson: 1 yr at $2 million + incentives to $8million, 2009 club option of $9.5 million with $250,000 buyout"

Relatively small investment for 2008 minus incentives (if he makes the incentives good for him and us) and the team has the option for 2009 (which at that price I decline for 2009) . Even with a great 2008, Benson is too much of a health risk to guarantee $9.5 mil. in '09 by picking up his option.

All of the other pitchers are cost prohibitive in my mind, even Tomko at 1 yr. 4 million isn't worth that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    If those have to be the parameters Pickoff, I go with Kris Benson.

"Kris Benson: 1 yr at $2 million + incentives to $8million, 2009 club option of $9.5 million with $250,000 buyout"

Relatively small investment for 2008 minus incentives (if he makes the incentives good for him and us) and the team has the option for 2009 (which at that price I decline for 2009) . Even with a great 2008, Benson is too much of a health risk to guarantee $9.5 mil. in '09 by picking up his option.

All of the other pitchers are cost prohibitive in my mind, even Tomko at 1 yr. 4 million isn't worth that to me.
    I like that Benson is a ground ball pitcher and very consistent when heathy. I think he would be a good fit at GAB. I too would go with him.

I know I overshot quite a bit on the salary for Colon, but if he perfoms well in the winter league than he should be able to get a 2 yr deal. I see Benson as the one with the most upside of all of them, though.

Good idea for a poll. I went with Lieber, but I would be ok with any of those other than Fogg, Hernandez, and Colon. We only need a one year deal.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff View Post
    I like that Benson is a ground ball pitcher and very consistent when heathy. I think he would be a good fit at GAB. I too would go with him.

I know I overshot quite a bit on the salary for Colon, but if he perfoms well in the winter league than he should be able to get a 2 yr deal. I see Benson as the one with the most upside of all of them, though.
    You did a real nice job with the numbers- Pickoff. Better than what I could have done, for sure!

If WK has to go the FA starting pitcher route, I think it's better to be frugal at this point and use those $$$$$ for the 2008 post season free agents.

Turn Off Ads?