Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Decision time with Dunn

  1. #1
    Old Red Guard Reject
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,419

    Decision time with Dunn

    Anyone else feel like the Reds need to make an extension offer to Dunn prior to the season?

    If he accepts - you know he'll be part of your team for the next few years and move on to finding complimentary pieces to build around him.

    If he will not accept - ask him where he wants to go (thus waiving the no trade clause) and he becomes another chip to trade for that needed starting pitcher.

    Of course, he could play out the season and go FA with the Reds receiving draft pick compensation.

    Personally, I think they should've done this prior to trading Hamilton.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Now that Wayner has moved Hamilton, who would perhaps have been the closest thing to Dunn-replacement at a relatively cheap five years, seems like we don't have much choice but to offer Dunn a LTC. An option to acquiring Volquez would have been to keep Hamilton, trade Dunn or let him walk, then use his salary to buy pitching. Makes Volquez a potentially very expensive option. Even though I like having Volquez, this could be another deal that blows up big time in Wayne's face, revealing again his tendency to way overpay.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Now that Wayner has moved Hamilton, who would perhaps have been the closest thing to Dunn-replacement at a relatively cheap five years, seems like we don't have much choice but to offer Dunn a LTC. An option to acquiring Volquez would have been to keep Hamilton, trade Dunn or let him walk, then use his salary to buy pitching. Makes Volquez a potentially very expensive option. Even though I like having Volquez, this could be another deal that blows up big time in Wayne's face, revealing again his tendency to way overpay.
    Trade Dunn and pick up Alex Rios...not necessarily in the same deal.

  5. #4
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Why not sign Dunn and pick up Rios?

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    I would like to agree with you, and I am a HUGE fan of Dunn.

    However, I think there is MORE work to be done by WK before he considers that.

    IF we can get another top-o-the-order SP - Bedard, Blanton, etc... - then I think he makes Dunn the next priority.

    However, if we "only" go with an OLDER/Risky FA on a 1/2 year deal, then I think he might want to wait and see for next year. Having the flexibility to just let Dunn's Salary come off the books and spend it on FA 2009 Pitchers, which will be by all accounts MUCH better a pool to swim in.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS

  7. #6
    So long old friend rotnoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I would like to agree with you, and I am a HUGE fan of Dunn.

    However, I think there is MORE work to be done by WK before he considers that.

    IF we can get another top-o-the-order SP - Bedard, Blanton, etc... - then I think he makes Dunn the next priority.

    However, if we "only" go with an OLDER/Risky FA on a 1/2 year deal, then I think he might want to wait and see for next year. Having the flexibility to just let Dunn's Salary come off the books and spend it on FA 2009 Pitchers, which will be by all accounts MUCH better a pool to swim in.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    Excellent point. Once some of the top FA starters start to sign LTCs to stay put or move one (Santana, Sabathia for example) the move to sign or not sign Dunn becomes an easier choice to make. There are 15-18 million reasons a year why this shouldn't be a rush job. Dunner seems to understand it's a business and I doubt that waiting will have any negative impact on the Reds' ability to sign him later.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

    -Pete Rose

  8. #7
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    I'm really nervous on what is going to happen with the Dunn situation. I think its vital that Reds get him signed to a LTC, but if they don't how much of a loss will they take on him? If he hasn't signed before the season starts, its very important that the Reds are either in the thick of the race come June or completely out of it. I would hate to see the Reds hang on to Dunn until the end of the season and get nothing but draft picks out him, because I don't think the Reds have a chance if he goes to free agency. Krivsky has made some bold moves, but this is a decision that could effect the Reds for a few years.

  9. #8
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I would like to agree with you, and I am a HUGE fan of Dunn.

    However, I think there is MORE work to be done by WK before he considers that.

    IF we can get another top-o-the-order SP - Bedard, Blanton, etc... - then I think he makes Dunn the next priority.

    However, if we "only" go with an OLDER/Risky FA on a 1/2 year deal, then I think he might want to wait and see for next year. Having the flexibility to just let Dunn's Salary come off the books and spend it on FA 2009 Pitchers, which will be by all accounts MUCH better a pool to swim in.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    Somebody has to play the outfield in 2009, and if we do indeed acquire a Bedard/Blanton I don't think there will be much need for a FA starting pitcher... With Griffey's money coming off the books and BCast's willingness to spend, I don't see why we couldn't resign Dunn AND bring in a FA pitcher. That would be a better allocation of resources than trading a bunch of young players for Bedard/Blanton and resigning Dunn IMO...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  10. #9
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    One thing to keep in mind is that Dunn is the type of player with "old player" skills that generally do not age well and deteriorate quickly...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  11. #10
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Dunn needs to be signed long term period.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Somebody has to play the outfield in 2009, and if we do indeed acquire a Bedard/Blanton I don't think there will be much need for a FA starting pitcher... With Griffey's money coming off the books and BCast's willingness to spend, I don't see why we couldn't resign Dunn AND bring in a FA pitcher. That would be a better allocation of resources than trading a bunch of young players for Bedard/Blanton and resigning Dunn IMO...
    I lost you after the bold part, seems you're contradicting yourself.

    Care to re-state?

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS

  13. #12
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I lost you after the bold part, seems you're contradicting yourself.

    Care to re-state?

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    Sure.

    Seeing as I put the odds that all we do is sign an aging FA pitcher this year at 95%, I disagree with you that we should not resign Dunn and use the money on a FA pitcher. I'll assume that aging FA pitcher will be on a one-year contract, and therefore coming off the books with Griffey. In that case, I would prefer to see the Reds resign Dunn AND sign a 2009 FA pitcher because I think BCast is willing to spend the money...

    Edit- the way I read it you gave us two paths:
    1. trade for Bedard/Blanton and resign Dunn
    2. Sign aging FA pitcher in 2008 and let Dunn walk, spending his money on 2009 FA pitcher
    I created an additional alternative...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Sure.

    Seeing as I put the odds that all we do is sign an aging FA pitcher this year at 95%, I disagree with you that we should not resign Dunn and use the money on a FA pitcher. I'll assume that aging FA pitcher will be on a one-year contract, and therefore coming off the books with Griffey. In that case, I would prefer to see the Reds resign Dunn AND sign a 2009 FA pitcher because I think BCast is willing to spend the money...

    Edit- the way I read it you gave us two paths:
    1. trade for Bedard/Blanton and resign Dunn
    2. Sign aging FA pitcher in 2008 and let Dunn walk, spending his money on 2009 FA pitcher
    I created an additional alternative...
    First off, I don't disagree with your assessment, I just think WK does. I don't agree with it, but it's my guess.

    I think he wants the FLEXIBILITY of just saying "BYE" to Dunn - if he doesn't get a #1/#2 Starter this year - through trade - because his only option will be to $PEND LOT$ OF CA$H to do it in 2009 FA.
    He could still do both, but my bet is that he WON'T extend him if we don't pick up that starter this year.

    Also, the Griffey money is moot - it's already earmarked for the Raises due people like Harang and Arroyo.
    However, I do agree that we COULD sign a SP regardless, BUT it would be a HUGE increase in Payroll - probably up to $95M.

    Again, I think we can sustain that, especially if we are a playoff-caliber team, because our fan base CAN support that payroll and translate it to Profit for the Owners.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that Dunn is the type of player with "old player" skills that generally do not age well and deteriorate quickly...
    I agree, that's why I think they will discuss him moving to 1B along with any LTC discussions. Otherwise, he's probably headed for the AL.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    109

    Re: Decision time with Dunn

    I'm fine with Dunn getting a LTC. You need that type of guy in the lineup. With Griffey nearing the end and Hamilton dealt, there's going to be a power void. As much crap as he gets here and on talk radio, he's still not exactly an easy guy to replace.
    Brian

    Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25