Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger-1B

Keppinger-1B

saw this at rotoworld

The Reds have indicated that they're going with Jeff Keppinger as their first baseman against left-handers.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Keppinger-1B

Would love to hear a source for where they heard that one from.

Hatteberg as the first LH PH off the bench now? Votto and Kepp in a platoon, and I'm betting Valentin and Ross are a platoon now also.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I'm strangely ok with this, probably because it makes quite a bit of sense (if true) and also ensures that the Reds have no indications of trading or benching Encarnacion. Keppinger's an interesting bat; I very much doubt he duplicates his 2007 season, but I think his bat does have some value, especially against left-handed pitching.

I also think he'll fare a bit better than Votto/Hatteberg against southpaws so it makes some sense in terms of run value.

Small sample size flags abound here, but the following is encouraging ...

Keppinger lifetime MLB vs. LHP: .341/.393/.543/.936 in 145 PAs
    Keppinger 2007 AAA vs. LHP: .446/.479/.708/1.187 in 71 PAs

When you break it all down, much of Keppinger's value with the stick has actually been against southpaws.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 01-05-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I didn't hear that....which doesn't mean much

I wouldn't say I'm totally opposed to it, unless it means Votto sits....

He could be your "righty platoon" guy...
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 01-05-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Would love to hear a source for where they heard that one from.
    IIRC, I thought Krivsky made that statement shortly after the Cantu DFA. I also remember it being along the lines of "if we have to... it might be a way to get him some ABs" rather than "we plan to ..."
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Hatteberg as the first LH PH off the bench now? Votto and Kepp in a platoon, and I'm betting Valentin and Ross are a platoon now also.
    http://www.kffl.com/article.php/84695/89

Mark Sheldon, of Reds.MLB.com, reports the Cincinnati Reds are not sure whether or not C David Ross or C Javier Valentin will be used as the primary catcher next season. Additionally, the team may start only one catcher or could use both in a platoon.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I hope they at least give Votto some more at bats vs lefties before they make a move like this, silly to assume "Oh he's a lefty and he can't hit lefties"
    Last edited by Heath; 01-05-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I hope they at least give Votto some more at bats vs lefties before they make a move like this, silly to assume "Oh he's a lefty and he can't hit lefties"
    Also known as Paul O'Neill Syndrome.

That's how Tony Perez got started with Gordy Coleman.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I think it's silly to worry about weak side AB's being stolen from a rookie.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The more PAs Keppinger gets, the more we can grow the nickname "Country Kepp".

I see this as a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think it's silly to worry about weak side AB's being stolen from a rookie.
    Me too.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

No, it's silly to assume you can beat lefty pitchers with a predominantly lefty hitting lineup.

You need righty power against lefty pitching. Last year both Griffey and Dunn, the Reds big lefty hitters, had sub .800 OPS numbers against lefties. In Griffey's case it was .735. The Reds would have been better off with a good righty platoon guy in right field.

Votto had a .669 OPS at AAA in 121 at bats last year against lefty pitching. He does not seem to be a good hitter against lefties. Maybe against weak lefties you give him a shot, but the Reds would be an infinitely better team with a righty power guy platooning at first.

Last year only Phillips destroyed lefties. If Keppinger is the platoon first baseman, then EE will have to improve against lefties. Otherwise the Reds will be lacking when they face a lefty pitcher.

Personally, I would have liked the Reds to sign Ensberg who hits lefty pitching very well.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-05-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    No, it's silly to assume you can beat lefty pitchers with a predominantly lefty hitting lineup.
    This is a very prevalent belief throughout baseball. I am posting the following using only the Cubs' top two starters, but the pattern will be the same if you look at any rotation.

Right handed starter
    Zambrano-Faced 401 right handed batters/400 lefthanders
    Left handed starter
    Lilly (left hander)-Faced 618 right handed batters/151 lefthanders

These two obviously faced mostly starting line-ups, and there is clearly a belief in the platoon system throughout the league.

Interestingly, lefty batters had a .696 OPS versus Lilly while righties had a .688 OPS. I'm certain the left handed OPS would have been significantly lower if those lefthanded batters he did not face (because of platoons systems) had been left in starting line-ups.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?