Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mountaineers' Slaton to pass up final year to enter NFL draft

Senor Votto

Mountaineers' Slaton to pass up final year to enter NFL draft

Mountaineers' Slaton to pass up final year to enter NFL draft

January 13, 2008

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) -- West Virginia running back Steve Slaton is skipping his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

"I called the NFL about two weeks ago, and they told me that I was assessed as a second-round selection," Slaton said Sunday in a joint statement with new Mountaineers coach Bill Stewart.

In the school-issued statement, Stewart said his conversation with Slaton was "very private and heart-warming," and will remain private.

"I believe every student athlete, male or female, should pursue, exhaust and complete their eligibility and academic requirements for graduation at their institution. With that being said, if someone can be financially secure with a large signing bonus, I understand that decision," Stewart said.

Stewart added that the average career of an NFL player is 3.2 years, and that he supports all player decisions 100 percent.

Slaton said that he felt very good about his chances to do well in the NFL.

"I am as versatile a running back as there is in the draft. There are a lot of running backs going out early, but I believe I have the speed and the ability to get drafted higher than the level where I am projected," Slaton said.

Slaton said that he loved his time as a Mountaineer.

"There wasn't a place that I would rather be because my teammates, coaches and fans have always supported me," he said. "It was a great feeling knowing that the fans supported me whether we won or even when we lost.

"We won a lot of games during my time here at West Virginia, and I have made a lot of great friends and have a lot of good memories. I wish the players and coaches nothing but the best in the future."

After setting West Virginia's school record with 1,733 yards rushing last season, Slaton ran for 1,051 yards this season to surpass 1,000 for the third straight time. Slaton also had 26 catches for 350 yards.

Slaton will leave for Scottsdale, Ariz., this week to train and will remain there until the draft.
    Hate to see him go but I can't wait to see Devine starting at Halfback next year. I'll bet Devine is going to be a better player that Slaton. It also sucks that WVU loses Reynaud.

Any predictions on where Slaton gets drafted?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mountaineers' Slaton to pass up final year to enter NFL draft

Devine is going to be amazing IMO, and a top pick eventually.

Does anybody think that White's going to leave now? Personally, I would. Devine is good, but with Slaton's style, and not having that big-name back to take pressure off, he will get lit up a lot if he goes back.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Does anybody think that White's going to leave now? Personally, I would. Devine is good, but with Slaton's style, and not having that big-name back to take pressure off, he will get lit up a lot if he goes back.
    White has the NFL projectability of Rasheed Marshall, maybe a little better. Small QB with not much of a throwing arm.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went pro in baseball.

I look for Slaton to be an early second round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    White certainly won't be a QB at the next level, so I can't imagine he'd leave school to be a 3rd round pick at best at a new position.

Anyone think White will end up like Randel El? WR / special teams kinda guy?

I think Slaton made a bad decision because I think his stock is down.

I don't think White translates into a good pro. His body frame isn't big enough and he can't play QB at the next level. His only real chance is at WR but I doubt he would move there in WVU's offense. White = Eric Crouch

Turn Off Ads?